Used 1997 BMW M3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific M3 model:

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By Mike O.

1997 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

There have been few purchases (<5) in my life that I have absolutely no regrets about. This tops the list. Everyday when I get behind the wheel of this car I am elated. The response is like no other vehicle I've driven. The flat torque curve starts you off at 200lb-ft and the acceleration is fantastic. Handling is phenomenal; double suggested speeds for highway ramps (professional driver, closed course, do not attempt at home). Every time I think about getting a new car, those thoughts are blown away when I drove home. To top it all off, it's practical-4 doors, trunk space, decent rear legroom. This is the most fun you can have in an automobile, probably for around $10k these days.

Favorite Features

Low end torque, looks, handling, inflated sense of manhood.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder design, immortality, 6th gear, ability to fly.

Well Worth It, even now
By bdski11

1997 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

I was actually looking for a 540i, but when I found this car with 50k original miles, perfectly maintained, I couldn't say no. Since then its been no looking back. Good highway MPG-28-30 if careful. Comfortable but somewhat stiff ride. But enough of the boring stuff, it RIPS. If you're considering this car, I recommend it. Find one that wasn't beat. Brakes, tires, parts are expensive, but they are well made. I've put 25k miles on it, and they were not easy miles. Some don't, but I love luxury package.

Favorite Features

Perfect balance of handling and power. Really big sunroof. Good throttle response. Nice low-end torque. Great interior. Small things are thought of, like toolkit in trunk. Exactly what I wanted out of a car.

Suggested Improvements

Few more ponies wouldn't hurt. Could use a nicer stock exhaust. You will always want to push it. Be careful on wet surfaces, even with stability.

M3 - Nothing like it
By internaut

1997 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

Had this car for 10 years now - not a single significant problem with it. Always a pleasure to drive. Ready for action and being pushed to the extreme. A car of this class is completely unaffordable now.

Favorite Features

Interior ergonomics.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it didn't have that wing.

Fun car to drive
By donny

1997 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

This is an awesome car to drive, great handling and lots of power, great sleeper car. I don't know about other people but this car hasn't been the most reliable car I have owned, it has left us stranded on the side of the road three times, had to trailer it home all three times, now it is in the garage getting worked on again, has been nothing but a hassle the last year and a half of owning it, I trust my old 1989 Ford pickup more.

Favorite Features

Great handling, awesome power, a four door that can kicks many two door sports cars and still gets 28 mpg on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the stupid radiator problem, this will be the fourth one I have to put in it. needs a sixth gear, get tired of buying tires for it every year at $500+ for two, better stereo, better cup holders, won't hold a cup of any kind

No Comparison
By RAB

1997 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

My 4 dr E36 M3 is an automatic with the luxury package - leather and wood trim. I think of it as a total stealth bomber - I catch a lot tuner cars by surprise. Can't say enough about the power, handling, or braking. Fit, finish, and craftsmanship are first rate. My M is 10 years old and still feels like a new car. Prices have plunged and I cannot think of a better way to spend $15,000. Helps to have a good repair shop, as relying on the dealer can be suspect. HAVE to be prepared to take care of an older Bimmer, but if you do, you will be well rewarded. There are brand new sports sedans that cannot compare to this car - in '97 it came with huge tires, 17" wheels, & huge brakes.

Favorite Features

3.4 inline six is a work of art. Brakes are huge. 17" wheels were stock. Tires are huge - 8.5" in the rear. Suspension is near track performance. Traction control is very good, but fun to turn it off. RWD is so underrated. Very well built car - cannot believe it is ten years old.

Suggested Improvements

None.