Used 1997 BMW M3 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Bmw M3 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (12 reviews )

FUN CAR but better be a DIY past 120K
By Kelli

1997 BMW M3 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have put SEVERAL thousand dollars into repairs into this car over the last months. If you can't do the work yourself expect to sink lots of bucks into it!

Favorite Features

Performs beautifully. Very sticky and lots of driver feedback from the road. Truly amazing enthusiastic driving. Fun car but know what you are in for.

Suggested Improvements

Radiator is a weakness. Replaced it a month ago. This week, I replaced a broken T-chain guide assembly (and all the related things associated with this repair). Lots of $$$.

Everything I'd hoped it would be!
By Sammyzuko

1997 BMW M3 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've owned my M3 for 5+ years now and couldn't be happier with her. I haven't had any major problems with her. You do have to replace basic wear items if you expect these old cars to drive like they're intended to*. I still enjoy every moment I'm behind the wheel of this car. The aftermarket is full of options to keep the E36 driving as good or better than new. *items like bushings that would need to be replaced on any car, but the average person driving their Corolla into the ground doesn't typically care about these items or getting optimal handling out of their daily driver.

Favorite Features

Exhaust note, steering feel, no gimmicks like many modern cars.

Suggested Improvements

Interior layout is nice, but quality is lacking.

1997 BMW M3 SEDAN
By john

1997 BMW M3 Sedan 4dr Sedan

1st new car I ever bought & still own 12 years later, tracked it when under warranty, only issues was brake rotors & too much restriction in power steering boost. STOCK SUSPENSION WAS SHOT AFTER 50,000 MILES, went to turner ms bilstein sport/h&r sport springs. Never looked back. Re-did rear this year. Under bilstein warrenty. Issues were blown head gasket @105,000 miles, rebuilt rear axles@ 115,000 & VANOS @ 95,000& lower control arms @ 90,000 all par for the course, mobile one only in engine, trans, rear & power steering 25 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

None - drive in summer, nice days only, plan to keep forever. Classic 4 door m3 kumho makes some great tires @ an even better price.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By Mike O.

1997 BMW M3 Sedan 4dr Sedan

There have been few purchases (<5) in my life that I have absolutely no regrets about. This tops the list. Everyday when I get behind the wheel of this car I am elated. The response is like no other vehicle I've driven. The flat torque curve starts you off at 200lb-ft and the acceleration is fantastic. Handling is phenomenal; double suggested speeds for highway ramps (professional driver, closed course, do not attempt at home). Every time I think about getting a new car, those thoughts are blown away when I drove home. To top it all off, it's practical-4 doors, trunk space, decent rear legroom. This is the most fun you can have in an automobile, probably for around $10k these days.

Favorite Features

Low end torque, looks, handling, inflated sense of manhood.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder design, immortality, 6th gear, ability to fly.

Fun car to drive
By donny

1997 BMW M3 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is an awesome car to drive, great handling and lots of power, great sleeper car. I don't know about other people but this car hasn't been the most reliable car I have owned, it has left us stranded on the side of the road three times, had to trailer it home all three times, now it is in the garage getting worked on again, has been nothing but a hassle the last year and a half of owning it, I trust my old 1989 Ford pickup more.

Favorite Features

Great handling, awesome power, a four door that can kicks many two door sports cars and still gets 28 mpg on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the stupid radiator problem, this will be the fourth one I have to put in it. needs a sixth gear, get tired of buying tires for it every year at $500+ for two, better stereo, better cup holders, won't hold a cup of any kind