1997 BMW M3 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (14 reviews )
I love this car
By Dennis on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is a car that was built to be driven. Plenty of power and great handling makes this a very fun car to drive. For the most part it is very predictable and feedback provides plenty of warning when pushing the limits on corners.

This is the car for you!!!
By Bimmerboim3 on 09/10/09 17:03 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

After being the laughing stock of my high school football teammates with a 1991 bright teal Acura Integra, I decided that it was time to upgrade to a BMW. I have always liked BMWs, but I didn't think that I could afford the repairs, but I was completely misinformed. With a total of 171k miles, I couldn't be any happier with my M3. After 4 years of ownership, my repairs pair bills have been half the price of my girlfriend's Nissan 200sx, which she has had for 2 years. If you are looking for a true sports car with the body of a tank and reliability of a Honda, this is the car for you!!!!!

Well Worth It, even now
By bdski11 on 12/10/08 15:45 PM (PST)

1997 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I was actually looking for a 540i, but when I found this car with 50k original miles, perfectly maintained, I couldn't say no. Since then its been no looking back. Good highway MPG-28-30 if careful. Comfortable but somewhat stiff ride. But enough of the boring stuff, it RIPS. If you're considering this car, I recommend it. Find one that wasn't beat. Brakes, tires, parts are expensive, but they are well made. I've put 25k miles on it, and they were not easy miles. Some don't, but I love luxury package.

M3 - Nothing like it
By internaut on 03/20/08 09:04 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Had this car for 10 years now - not a single significant problem with it. Always a pleasure to drive. Ready for action and being pushed to the extreme. A car of this class is completely unaffordable now.

Simply Amazing
By PerfectBMW on 11/05/06 13:37 PM (PST)

1997 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my Estoril Blue M3 over one year ago, and haven't looked back since. The performance (acceleration, braking, handling, etc) are self explanatory. It IS a perfect balance of weight, luxury, power, and suspension to create the most pleasurable driving experience. The only thing that can top it, is the E46 M3. For an enthusiast, an E36 M3 is a car that needs to be in your garage.

Best handling car
By Legendary car on 03/24/05 07:21 AM (PST)

1997 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

When I bought this car new in 1997, itwas the fastest BMW 0-60 (5.5 as a standard, modified to 5.3 with Confortichip, B&B Tri-Flo exhaust and Dinan air intake). It was later voted "Best Handling car in over 30K group" (beating out the Porsche, etc), Car of the year 3 years in a row, '95-'97 (Car andDriver). Maintenence is high in terms of tires, clutch, brakes and mods, but other than that, nothing major. The engine was compression tested at 110K and was like-new according to the mechanic (I recommend a small, local, specialized mechanic).

Perfect Fun to Drive Car
By Aaaaaron090 on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Very fun car, very well built

Excellent all around vehicle
By homer32 on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

What a great, super fast, great handling coupe. It has also been very reliable for me. I would recommend it to anyone.

Worth the wait and every penny you spend
By WytLytnyn on 03/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car for 4 months and have enjoyed every minute of it. It really is the best compromise of the sports car and practical everyday car. The cost of maintenance and ownership can only be equalled by Ferrari and Mercedes (from what I hear). Invest in a Bentley manual, a metric socket set, a Peake code reset tool and a Valentine One. You'll be able to do most of the maintenance yourself. Also, you will pay through the nose for maintence you can't easily do (like a Gubbio flex disc on the driveshaft). Your insurance will be high and your mileage will suck due to your new addiction to the wailing engine and exhaust noise.

fun, but some cheesy features
By howtomb on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought a 1997 M3 five months ago, and I'm happy with it -- it's a blast to drive -- but some interior features have a ticky-tacky feel. Plastic bits have broken off, for example. Some BMW dealers, meanwhile, seem to think that actually servicing my car is beneath them. To add to the frustration, many spare parts cost a bloody fortune.