Used 1997 BMW M3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific M3 model:

I love this car
By Dennis

1997 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

This is a car that was built to be driven. Plenty of power and great handling makes this a very fun car to drive. For the most part it is very predictable and feedback provides plenty of warning when pushing the limits on corners.

Handling and feedback as second to none. Quality built vehicle with a well designed interior. Fast

Get behind on upkeep and this car will bite your wallet hard. Remove the Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) if you are an experienced/capable driver looking for performance.

This is the car for you!!!
By Bimmerboim3

1997 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

After being the laughing stock of my high school football teammates with a 1991 bright teal Acura Integra, I decided that it was time to upgrade to a BMW. I have always liked BMWs, but I didn't think that I could afford the repairs, but I was completely misinformed. With a total of 171k miles, I couldn't be any happier with my M3. After 4 years of ownership, my repairs pair bills have been half the price of my girlfriend's Nissan 200sx, which she has had for 2 years. If you are looking for a true sports car with the body of a tank and reliability of a Honda, this is the car for you!!!!!

reliability, aesthetics, performance, resale value, user friendly

Interior quality, BMW specific parts are overpriced.

FUN CAR but better be a DIY past 120K
By Kelli

1997 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I have put SEVERAL thousand dollars into repairs into this car over the last months. If you can't do the work yourself expect to sink lots of bucks into it!

Performs beautifully. Very sticky and lots of driver feedback from the road. Truly amazing enthusiastic driving. Fun car but know what you are in for.

Radiator is a weakness. Replaced it a month ago. This week, I replaced a broken T-chain guide assembly (and all the related things associated with this repair). Lots of $$$.

Everything I'd hoped it would be!
By Sammyzuko

1997 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I've owned my M3 for 5+ years now and couldn't be happier with her. I haven't had any major problems with her. You do have to replace basic wear items if you expect these old cars to drive like they're intended to*. I still enjoy every moment I'm behind the wheel of this car. The aftermarket is full of options to keep the E36 driving as good or better than new. *items like bushings that would need to be replaced on any car, but the average person driving their Corolla into the ground doesn't typically care about these items or getting optimal handling out of their daily driver.

Exhaust note, steering feel, no gimmicks like many modern cars.

Interior layout is nice, but quality is lacking.

1997 BMW M3 SEDAN
By john

1997 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

1st new car I ever bought & still own 12 years later, tracked it when under warranty, only issues was brake rotors & too much restriction in power steering boost. STOCK SUSPENSION WAS SHOT AFTER 50,000 MILES, went to turner ms bilstein sport/h&r sport springs. Never looked back. Re-did rear this year. Under bilstein warrenty. Issues were blown head gasket @105,000 miles, rebuilt rear axles@ 115,000 & VANOS @ 95,000& lower control arms @ 90,000 all par for the course, mobile one only in engine, trans, rear & power steering 25 mpg.

None - drive in summer, nice days only, plan to keep forever. Classic 4 door m3 kumho makes some great tires @ an even better price.