1997 BMW M3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M3 model:
I love this car
By Dennis on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

This is a car that was built to be driven. Plenty of power and great handling makes this a very fun car to drive. For the most part it is very predictable and feedback provides plenty of warning when pushing the limits on corners.

This is the car for you!!!
By Bimmerboim3 on 09/10/09 17:03 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

After being the laughing stock of my high school football teammates with a 1991 bright teal Acura Integra, I decided that it was time to upgrade to a BMW. I have always liked BMWs, but I didn't think that I could afford the repairs, but I was completely misinformed. With a total of 171k miles, I couldn't be any happier with my M3. After 4 years of ownership, my repairs pair bills have been half the price of my girlfriend's Nissan 200sx, which she has had for 2 years. If you are looking for a true sports car with the body of a tank and reliability of a Honda, this is the car for you!!!!!

FUN CAR but better be a DIY past 120K
By Kelli on 08/26/09 05:25 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I have put SEVERAL thousand dollars into repairs into this car over the last months. If you can't do the work yourself expect to sink lots of bucks into it!

Everything I'd hoped it would be!
By Sammyzuko on 07/01/09 08:46 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I've owned my M3 for 5+ years now and couldn't be happier with her. I haven't had any major problems with her. You do have to replace basic wear items if you expect these old cars to drive like they're intended to*. I still enjoy every moment I'm behind the wheel of this car. The aftermarket is full of options to keep the E36 driving as good or better than new. *items like bushings that would need to be replaced on any car, but the average person driving their Corolla into the ground doesn't typically care about these items or getting optimal handling out of their daily driver.

1997 BMW M3 SEDAN
By john on 06/20/09 18:10 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

1st new car I ever bought & still own 12 years later, tracked it when under warranty, only issues was brake rotors & too much restriction in power steering boost. STOCK SUSPENSION WAS SHOT AFTER 50,000 MILES, went to turner ms bilstein sport/h&r sport springs. Never looked back. Re-did rear this year. Under bilstein warrenty. Issues were blown head gasket @105,000 miles, rebuilt rear axles@ 115,000 & VANOS @ 95,000& lower control arms @ 90,000 all par for the course, mobile one only in engine, trans, rear & power steering 25 mpg.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By Mike O. on 03/24/09 09:05 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

There have been few purchases (<5) in my life that I have absolutely no regrets about. This tops the list. Everyday when I get behind the wheel of this car I am elated. The response is like no other vehicle I've driven. The flat torque curve starts you off at 200lb-ft and the acceleration is fantastic. Handling is phenomenal; double suggested speeds for highway ramps (professional driver, closed course, do not attempt at home). Every time I think about getting a new car, those thoughts are blown away when I drove home. To top it all off, it's practical-4 doors, trunk space, decent rear legroom. This is the most fun you can have in an automobile, probably for around $10k these days.

Well Worth It, even now
By bdski11 on 12/10/08 15:45 PM (PST)

1997 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

I was actually looking for a 540i, but when I found this car with 50k original miles, perfectly maintained, I couldn't say no. Since then its been no looking back. Good highway MPG-28-30 if careful. Comfortable but somewhat stiff ride. But enough of the boring stuff, it RIPS. If you're considering this car, I recommend it. Find one that wasn't beat. Brakes, tires, parts are expensive, but they are well made. I've put 25k miles on it, and they were not easy miles. Some don't, but I love luxury package.

M3 - Nothing like it
By internaut on 03/20/08 09:04 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

Had this car for 10 years now - not a single significant problem with it. Always a pleasure to drive. Ready for action and being pushed to the extreme. A car of this class is completely unaffordable now.

Fun car to drive
By donny on 02/12/08 21:03 PM (PST)

1997 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

This is an awesome car to drive, great handling and lots of power, great sleeper car. I don't know about other people but this car hasn't been the most reliable car I have owned, it has left us stranded on the side of the road three times, had to trailer it home all three times, now it is in the garage getting worked on again, has been nothing but a hassle the last year and a half of owning it, I trust my old 1989 Ford pickup more.

No Comparison
By RAB on 12/21/06 20:19 PM (PST)

1997 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

My 4 dr E36 M3 is an automatic with the luxury package - leather and wood trim. I think of it as a total stealth bomber - I catch a lot tuner cars by surprise. Can't say enough about the power, handling, or braking. Fit, finish, and craftsmanship are first rate. My M is 10 years old and still feels like a new car. Prices have plunged and I cannot think of a better way to spend $15,000. Helps to have a good repair shop, as relying on the dealer can be suspect. HAVE to be prepared to take care of an older Bimmer, but if you do, you will be well rewarded. There are brand new sports sedans that cannot compare to this car - in '97 it came with huge tires, 17" wheels, & huge brakes.