Used 1995 BMW M3 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Bmw M3 - Consumer Reviews

1995 BMW M3 Coupe

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (24 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Truly an Ultimate Driving Machine
By gordy1096

1995 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

The E36, 5-speed manual, inline 6 is the most fun I have had behind the wheel of a car. I was amazed at how it accelerates even from a lower speed in 5th gear. It is incredibly stable at high speeds (100+ mph) and it comes to a stop on a dime. Never felt more safe and comfortable driving that fast. It shifts beautifully and is incredibly fun to drive. No major mechanical problems and I'm at 160k. Mine in avus blue & the beautifully designed exterior looks incredible - especially after I changed the yellow blinkers on the front corner, side and rear to clear lenses. I think its the best looking car on the road when you have the rear spoiler, sunroof tilted and clean wheels. Highly recommended

Favorite Features

Effortless acceleration in any gear, exterior design and color (avus blue), incredible braking, grips to the road like glue, low to the ground, exhilarating to drive, comfortable, seats, orange/red dashboard back light, trunk space, 50/50 front/rear weight ratio, access to battery terminal in front and back, clean and neat engine compartment.....I could go on for days!

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel is a little larger than I like - but that was common in '95. No cruise control.

1995 BMW M3
By Kevin

1995 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

To start with this beautiful piece of German engineering, the E36 M3 is a gem. Of coarse coming from a person that has tested some of today's super-cars, The 1995 M3 has been my affordable choice. I purchased this car with 98k miles for an unbeatable price. The first thing I noticed was the purr of the high-performance dual-overhead camshaft S50 motor. Then as the test drive started, I was astonished how a mere 240 hp and 225 ft/lb tq could throw me into the back of the aggressively styled Vader seats. Now the previous owner didn't take the best care of this machine, and due to the negligence, I have to replace the motor, get the interior re-upholstered, etc. but no regrets.

Favorite Features

Vader seats, 3.0L S50B30US motor (240 hp, 225 ft/lb tq), fuel economy (18 city/27 highway), cost to maintain (engine $2,500, oil change $55, fill up at petrol station $48.67 at red zone on dash, brake job [pads, rotors] $160 w/lifetime warranty)

Suggested Improvements

The subframe NEEDS to be re-enforced, x-brace is a MUST, Oil pump nut NEEDED to be recalled by BMW, however not taking blame, or responsibility for the engines lost from this nut backing off, forcing the oil pump to shoot through the oil pan, destroying engine internals, and Better LSD.

Best Car of My Life
By Ron Stopfer

1995 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this red M3 in Dec 94 (a 1995 model) as my 50th birthday present. This is THE best car I've ever owned! Fun to drive! Totally reliable! Great comfort! Bulletproof mechanically! Very nice trunk (unlike my 911)! Looks like it's speeding while parked. A head turner every day. While I've driven this luxury model over 115,000 miles, it is still a special treat to get inside this and drive it, every day. If I only had one car to drive, every day, for the rest of my life, it would be this BMW car. I currently have half a dozen cars (including a 2003 Mustang SVT "tuned" Cobra), and two BMW motorcycles, but everyday I go out, I instinctively get in the M3 and let it go. Buy one!

Favorite Features

Comfortable, dual-heated leather seats, infinitely adjustable. Ease of use and ergonomics. GREAT stereo with 6-CD shuttle in trunk. Full sized spare. Super easy driving and parking. Great 360 view inside. Moonroof w/"tilt". Luxurious feel of interior and mechanically flawless. BMW 7- series brakes!!!

Suggested Improvements

Would have liked a 6-speed.

Just what I wanted
By David

1995 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

So they raved about this car when it hit the US and man were they spot-on! Having had Z cars, Supra's, and other BMW 3's, this car is the tops. Mine has 242,000 miles and still rocks! Love to take people at work out for lunch, then charge back into the parking lot to show off those great brakes... up to 100mph and stomp on the brakes and listen to folks shriek! Starting to think about an E46 M3, and hope to get the same results with it... we'll see... Yes that silly radiator/water pump thing is a known weak spot, true. But easy to replace every 70,000 miles and go on too. SO... the big question is... why isn't anyone making a car like this today? Currently in a CTS and it only gets 20mpg...:>(

Favorite Features

It's all about that silky smooth jamming inline 6 for me... and those brakes... and the looks...

Suggested Improvements

door panels, water pump, radiator

Great car, terrible for younger drivers!
By Jeffrey

1995 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car with 110k miles. I have driven it VERY hard for another 8k without a single problem. No telling this car is 14 years old! Beats cars that are brand new, handles like it's brand new, no rattles, no major mechanical issues. Well, a few, but I expected to put between 500-1000 into the car immediately and then 1000-2000 over the first year and it's been much less, even with an accident. I ran the car off the road pushing it to it's limit and all it had was a bent control arm, these cars are solid! It's the 4th bmw I've owned and first M3. Couldn't be happier, I'm just worried about tickets. :)

Favorite Features

Sport Seats, Ride, Handling, performance.

Suggested Improvements

More solid front end because these cars are low and it hits often if you are not super careful.