Used 2001 BMW M Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Bmw M - Consumer Reviews

2001 BMW M

View reviews for a specific M model:

Love & Hate
By newyorker

2001 BMW M 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I fell in love with this car the day I saw it, and I am still in love with it. However, I did encounter as well endless quality problems... anything from door locks, seat belt, noises to fuel pump and main computer... Have been in and out of the dealership every month and had to tow 3-4 times. Having this car out of warranty can kill you. On the other hand, the shape of it is unique: I am sure a few years down the road it will become a classic, especially considering the small number of 2001/2002 produced.

Favorite Features

Aisthetics, engine, interior, quality of finishing

Suggested Improvements

Train dealer-network on how to encounter the common issues

Glad to be rid of it
By mitchm

2001 BMW M 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

Performance is outstanding but quality issues plague this car (and everyone else I know with the Z3/M has issues too). Don't know why no BMW owners will step up to the workmanship & quality issues. My son's Hyundai was bought at the same time, has twice them miles on it and never sees the dealer. I was a regular. Glad the lease is over and it's gone. Going back to Japanese sports car or Corvette.

Favorite Features

In a word, performance. The engine and drivetrain are quite good. Love the styling.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the locks so they don't break frequently. No plastic rear window. Get themotor to not stall when cold. Put in speakers that don't blow out when you breath on them. Produce car with defect-free paint. Design out ratty, tin can exhaust sound when you step on it -- add deeper throat

Yeah Baby, yeah!
By WT

2001 BMW M 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

From a price/fun ratio this is THE perfect car. What can go faster, quicker for $35K? Nothing without nitrous. The car fits like a glove and flies like a fighter jet. First time drivers of the M will drop their jaws at the performance.

Favorite Features

Engine, exhaust, engine, suspension, engine, aesthetics, engine.

Suggested Improvements

Some insulation behind the dash for some creaking, glass rear window, that's it.

Love The "M"
By Beemer Dude

2001 BMW M 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I had a 2.5 Z3 for a few years and put everything Dinan on it for more power. I asked the dealer what was the best year. they responded with "the 2001 M Roadster". I have been looking for over a year for one ( I see once people get one, they won't let go) I finally picked up one at a Volvo dealer (of all places) I LOVE this car!!!! it has to be the best ride I ever had. I just hit 40 and will never grow up. I wanna be burried in this car (ha-ha).

Favorite Features

THE POWER!!!

Suggested Improvements

LEAVE IT ALONE!!

best Roadster made.
By steve A

2001 BMW M 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

This is a very fun car. the stability control is Very good, acceleration is outstanding.