Used 2000 BMW M Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Bmw M - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (8 reviews )

A Fun Little Hatchback
By Bimma Boy

2000 BMW M Hatchback 2dr Coupe

I bought this car to replace my 1994 M3, I don't regret buying this car at all. I love it, the amount of torque an power and the handling capability make this car oh so fun. Going from 60-90mph takes only a couple seconds without a down shift. Going through the twisties proves to be even more fun, going twice the speed limit through the turns makes this car an ultimate driving machine. Only a few thousand of these were sent to the US so you're not passing one every day and there's not gonna be one next to you at a light. The steering is precise and quick and the car goes wherever you point it. Not a hint of body roll an the car feels like its never gonna lose traction. This is one hell of a car!!!

Favorite Features

The handling ability, torque sets in early making for easy highway passes. Being able to outperform most cars an still carry a weekends worth of luggage, feeling like the car will never ever lose traction on the turns, seats that hold you in while manuevering like a fighter jet an are comfy, HANDLING

Suggested Improvements

Windows don't go all the way down making it odd to put your arm out the window, Seats can become somewhat uncomfy after a few hours of driving, hatch wouldn't open around 90k miles an had to be repaired TWICE!

BMW M Coupe- The Unknown Monster
By Thomas

2000 BMW M Hatchback 2dr Coupe

I sell BMW's and when I saw this car I had to have it. This is a lot of performance for the money. The great thing about this car is that it is an everyday driver and a track car built into one. It has a lot of creature comforts as well as more than enough performance. Oddly enough I am 6'6" and I still fit into this car. BMW's are great for tall people like myself. These are pretty rare cars, if you get the chance to buy one at a fair price I would jump on it. I will say though that people either think that this is the coolest car that they have ever seen or they think that it looks like a tyco toy version of the batmobile.

Favorite Features

The amount of torque that this car has as well as the handling. The car almost anticipates corners. Everyone that you ever meet that has one, you are instant friends with. This car draws a lot of attention at gaspumps. Probably one of the few cars for under $50k that gets constant looks.

Suggested Improvements

Add a 6th gear and you would make me a very happy man!! I am not a fan of the gauges. They look kind of dated. I am only 23 so that does not appeal to me so much. I understand what they are going for. It did not bother me enough to go out and find replacements though.

Drivers car
By rcl

2000 BMW M Hatchback 2dr Coupe

A fine car for a short trip. Excellent stability. Ride a bit firm and tire are noisy. Gas milage, 24 city and 32 country at 75mph. 3 years - no mechanical problems.

Favorite Features

Very responsive acceleration. zero to 6omph in 5.2 seconds. top sped 144mph. Great on curves.

Suggested Improvements

Heat and A/C primative compared with the Lexus 400.

Super M Machine
By jmillet

2000 BMW M Hatchback 2dr Coupe

I purchased my 2000 M Coupe (June 1999 build date) used with 28000 miles on odo. Replaced shocks and springs with Koni Sport single adjustable shocks and Dinan springs. Have had most of the applicable TSB up-grades applied under warranty to include fuel sending unit, rear wiper washer valve, transmission detent pins, and ECU software revision. Warranty repairs include A/C compressor replacement and rear half-shaft seal replacement. This car sees many high speed track miles driven at Driving Schools. It's not a practical daily driver. Most fun car I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Aggressive and unique styling. Precise handling with tendency towards oversteer. Exceptional power and torque.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are hard and uncomfortable during long drives of two or more hours.

BNW M Coupe
By edmont

2000 BMW M Hatchback 2dr Coupe

If BMW is the "ultimate driving machine", the M Coupe is the ultimate of the ultimate driving machines. This car must be driven at all times. It is as responsive as any vehicle I have ever driven. It signals to the driver every nuance of the road and what is about to happen to the car before it happens. This makes for a rigid ride but it also permits you to push the car into a sharp turn at seemingly impossible speeds. Tires make a big difference with this car so recommend you choose only those premium tires that will provide the mix of "stickiness" and "wearability".

Favorite Features

The appearance is unique and not for everyone. Power is more than acceptable but cornering is exceptional. This car will be remembered and collected as a memorable sports car.

Suggested Improvements

When the window is fully down, it sticks up about 1/4 inch making it uncomfortable to rest your arm on the window sill. Re-design the hatchback release. It has failed 4 times in 3 years. Dealer replaces at no cost but it is a hassle.