Used 2000 BMW M Base Convertible Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 BMW M Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (21 reviews )

210,000 miles and still drives like new
By cliff r

2000 BMW M Convertible 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car new towards the end of 1999. This car has performed amazingly well, is fun to drive, responsive, reliable, handles great, has plenty of power, is comfortable, and is surprisingly affordable regarding repairs. This is an everyday car for me. It has rarely broken down. Here would be the wishes: A glass rear window instead of plastic (I replaced the top once since owning the car, but the plastic window will start to get a yellowish tint over time), a spare tire (this car doesn't have one and if on a long trip and getting a blow out could be an issue- but I have not had this happen to me), an automatic hard top convertible instead of cloth (nitpicking), cheaper replacement speakers (the bass driver mounted on the center console behind and to the right of the driver blew out and is about $600.00 to replace- can't use a generic speaker). Total repair costs since I purchased this car are about $10,000- which is pretty good for a 16 year old car with over 200,000 miles on it. Without a doubt the best car I have ever owned and one I continue to greatly enjoy- hopefully for another 200,000 miles! I highly recommend this car.

solid performance
By robert

2000 BMW M Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought this car from someone who babied the heck out of it and I have continued the tradition. It's a great car that delivers impressive performance, a bit of sex appeal, and much better than expected economy. However, the stock stereo was awful and suspension components were iffy.

The torque....oh, and the top down on a sunny day. The car also gets a lot of looks and it is a real scooter.

Get rid of the cheap plastic center arm rest. Chuck the stock radio. Cross brace the engine compartment for additional rigidity. Strengthen the suspension anchors and improve the shocks.

Smile so hard your face hurts
By Ken

2000 BMW M Convertible 2dr Convertible

Bought the M with relatively high mileage (79K) but it is in great shape. Handles as though it is on tracks and accelerates, in all gears. Like it has jets. Long drives can be a bit difficult (I am almost 6'2" and the seats are a slightly bit hard, but if I take a break every 2 hours, no problem. It's a fun car, always noticed (ty, the cops too :( ) but a real treat to drive. I think I like the lines of this model more than the Z4 but would love to have some of the improvements of the newer Zs -- slightly wider interior, more comfy seats, and a fully automatic top. Otherwise, it's a dream.

Handling -- taking a corner and just punching the gas is a...gas.

M Roadster
By Al Floer

2000 BMW M Convertible 2dr Convertible

Bought new with 3 miles on it. Love the 60s style dash and gauges. Great performance. Very reliable, never broke down on me, never. At 43k miles, still has the original brakes and I autocross with it. No shop repairs, just maintenance. I do maintain it very well and everything is like new. I have no intention of sell this car unless someone hits me. Great car.

Body style and the look of the wide body. Handles great, excellent brakes. With heated seats I can ride with the top down on a sunny winter day in Atlanta.

The suspension has been changed due to the rear end "looseness" from the E30 suspension. Replaced the suspension and now it is like a true M car should be.

This is more difficult than it ought to
By Robert spott

2000 BMW M Convertible 2dr Convertible

Wonderful tossible car, great engine. There are some inherent design problems, i.e. the shock mounts, lack of cross bracing, an awful cd/radio system, a plastic rear window, and an off center steering wheel. It is a strong solid perfomer nonetheless and I think, though not as good a car as the z4, it is a hell of a lot more interesting.