Used 2000 BMW M Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Bmw M - Consumer Reviews

2000 BMW M

View reviews for a specific M model:

solid performance
By robert

2000 BMW M 2dr Convertible

I bought this car from someone who babied the heck out of it and I have continued the tradition. It's a great car that delivers impressive performance, a bit of sex appeal, and much better than expected economy. However, the stock stereo was awful and suspension components were iffy.

Favorite Features

The torque....oh, and the top down on a sunny day. The car also gets a lot of looks and it is a real scooter.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the cheap plastic center arm rest. Chuck the stock radio. Cross brace the engine compartment for additional rigidity. Strengthen the suspension anchors and improve the shocks.

Smile so hard your face hurts
By Ken

2000 BMW M 2dr Convertible

Bought the M with relatively high mileage (79K) but it is in great shape. Handles as though it is on tracks and accelerates, in all gears. Like it has jets. Long drives can be a bit difficult (I am almost 6'2" and the seats are a slightly bit hard, but if I take a break every 2 hours, no problem. It's a fun car, always noticed (ty, the cops too :( ) but a real treat to drive. I think I like the lines of this model more than the Z4 but would love to have some of the improvements of the newer Zs -- slightly wider interior, more comfy seats, and a fully automatic top. Otherwise, it's a dream.

Favorite Features

Handling -- taking a corner and just punching the gas is a...gas.

M Roadster
By Al Floer

2000 BMW M 2dr Convertible

Bought new with 3 miles on it. Love the 60s style dash and gauges. Great performance. Very reliable, never broke down on me, never. At 43k miles, still has the original brakes and I autocross with it. No shop repairs, just maintenance. I do maintain it very well and everything is like new. I have no intention of sell this car unless someone hits me. Great car.

Favorite Features

Body style and the look of the wide body. Handles great, excellent brakes. With heated seats I can ride with the top down on a sunny winter day in Atlanta.

Suggested Improvements

The suspension has been changed due to the rear end "looseness" from the E30 suspension. Replaced the suspension and now it is like a true M car should be.

This is more difficult than it ought to
By Robert spott

2000 BMW M 2dr Convertible

Wonderful tossible car, great engine. There are some inherent design problems, i.e. the shock mounts, lack of cross bracing, an awful cd/radio system, a plastic rear window, and an off center steering wheel. It is a strong solid perfomer nonetheless and I think, though not as good a car as the z4, it is a hell of a lot more interesting.

Most fun you can have in public
By H2oskier

2000 BMW M 2dr Convertible

Very fun car to drive, especially if you can find some curves. Northwest Arkansas is very nice to "test" the curves. We 1st had a 1997 1.8 Z3 and the power difference is amazing. Power is addicting... never too much. No mechanical issues. Since car has been lowered with H&R springss, it is very hard on tires. Khumo's ride and perform the best overall. and are afforable $ 115. Very safe cars, I was T boned by a truck at 45mpg and it only knocked the wind out of me. Door held up very well and prevented truck from sitting in my lap. If you can find a well maintained M buy it.

Favorite Features

Classic looks, love the power and easy to add more to. Simple classic interior Comfortable seats. Very direct steering

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable camber in suspension