Used 1999 BMW M Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Bmw M - Consumer Reviews

1999 BMW M

View reviews for a specific M model:

rare breed
By rare breed

1999 BMW M 2dr Coupe

A ten year old car that looks new. Has been a great ten years! Great performance, attention getter, and just a great car to own.

Favorite Features

Performance, look, fun

Suggested Improvements

Windows to go all the way down?

Incredible Performance
By djpatterson

1999 BMW M 2dr Coupe

I acquired this vehicle from a relative knowing the special care and upkeep this car has received during the first eight years. I have not been disappointed. This car is the most fun ride I have experienced in nearly 40 years of driving and that includes, Corvettes, Mustangs, BMWs, etc. The handling on corners far surpasses all of the previous rides. Heads never fail to turn when this car approaches... probably the result of the small number ever built by BMW. Everyone wants to know what kind of car is that? If you love performance vehicles, drive one and you'll be hooked.

Favorite Features

240HP of power routed through a five speed ZF manual - automatics need not apply.

Suggested Improvements

Are there issues that could be corrected? Yes, but the uniqueness sets it apart. Side windows that roll all the way down come to mind. The 5/8" exposed glass tells me BMW ran out of design time to meet product launch.

A reliable, affordable supercar
By MCouper

1999 BMW M 2dr Coupe

Bought this 99 M Coupe in 2001 with 11000 miles on it. Still mint condition after a DIY clay-bar treatment last week, with 75000 miles of pure driving exhilaration on it. Looks best from behind, which is the view most people get of it anyway. All I've had to do is change fluids and filters. Car is now on its 2nd set of front tires, 3rd set of rear tires (Michelin Pilot Sports). First brake job approaching now, at 75000 miles. Car handles like a gecko-footed go-kart. Incredible grip, low-end torque and acceleration -- and this is just the 240-hp version.

Favorite Features

Low-end torque -- pulls like a horse (240 of them) from 1,500 rpm in fifth, all the way to whatever speed you care to ease off at. Cornering grip is impressive. $32000 well spent in 01.

Suggested Improvements

Hatch latch had to be fixed five times under warranty and has been OK since warranty expired. Glove box rattling again after one rebuild while under warranty. Rear-view mirror is a bad vision blocker -- driver makes like hunchback at junctions, lights etc when trying to peer around it.

Boston Green M-Coupe
By Andy Milot

1999 BMW M 2dr Coupe

It was love at first sight, back in '98. I wasn't even intending to buy a new car, but this beauty made me melt on the spot. Of all the cars we've owned, this one is by far the best package we ever were blessed to drive and own. I don't care what the resale value is, today, because I still feel that my M is worth every penny I spent on it new, today! No other car has continued to give me tingles when I first lay my eyes on it and that 'good all over, feeling' that this beauty does, even after 7 years. As BMW's slogan said, back in '99, "Extreme BMW, It's not for everyone" But for those who know this car - there is no other!! Unfortunately, the greatest cars only remain as good as their caretakers (technicians). Find a good tech, and your ride will reward you for many miles and years! - I have and do, to today.

Favorite Features

Stunning color, styling, fit and finish. Great seats and control positions. Performs as well as it's look promise. Fits like a glove and easily becomes an extension of myself when in it. I'm in love with every nut and bolt and wouldn't want for more, even after 7 years!

BMW - do it again
By MCOUPESTOLEMYLIFE

1999 BMW M 2dr Coupe

5 years later - still have it, won't sell it. Its the tightest, zippiest, power ride ever. Other supercars eg Porsches feel bulky by comparison. BMW created something very special and made it more so by producing a very small number - this car has classic potential.

Favorite Features

Powertrain/transmission, appearance - very edgy - still gets a lot of looks and questions. Although when my wife first saw it - she said "thats a nice looking honda civic" - guess I should have told her I was thinking of buying a car.

Suggested Improvements

Well its too late and frankly I like all the quirks - the darned power window, the feeling that the passenger is on top of the driver