A Rare Modern BMW Classic
By Gaelstorm on
2003 BMW Alpina 2dr Roadster (4.8L 8cyl 5A)
The Z8 Alpina was purchased by me a month ago, used (of course), with 2,900 original owner miles. It was and is as new, since I have only added a few hundred miles in the month I've owned it. But I already know that it is an extraordinarily fun roadster/GT to drive quickly and that the styling will keep my affection forever. The 4.8 litre Alpina V8 has a wonderful, muffle rumble at idle and sounds like no other car I've owned when pressed. I am fortunate to have other fabulous cars, and would not own this if it was to be my only vehicle. But as a great, personal sport roadster, it is more reliable and less screaming for attention than a Ferrari. Elegant, sexy, reliable and smart.
Favorite Features
The styling is more attention-getting than I might want, but definitely not in a "cheap" or scissors-door or bling way. It is rolling art. And it offers the practical reliability of a well- sorted and engineered machine with great performance capabilities.
Suggested Improvements
Automatic air conditioning would have been nice, as would the other lazy comforts to which I aspire (memory seats). But, really, there is little to complain about. Only 555 were completed in the series so "running improvements" to the Alpina Roadster weren't an option.