Used 2009 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
09 750LI not a dependable car
By Bimmerman

2009 BMW 7 Series 750Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a brand new 09 750LI with all the possible options about three weeks ago. Since then I've been visiting the dealership twice a week. First after a day I had a leaking power steering hose. Then the hood hinge got loose and my hood in one corner was sticking up by about an inch then some air vent pipe got loose and was rattling like a broken muffler now the biggest problem that just came up after about 1500 miles is the TRANSMISSION!!! I have a loud transmission sound like you have in a 10 year old Dodge minivan with 100k miles on it. This is my 4th BMW and its the only one with those type of problems. My advice is Watch OUT!!!

Suggested Improvements

Transmission problems need to be improved. Plus looks like there was no extensive testing done on the car.

Beauty and the Beast
By Chas

2009 BMW 7 Series 750i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

The beauty is on the outside, the beast is under the hood. I've been waiting for this car to hit the ground since they announced the new model. I thought I have to drive it before I make a decision on what car to purchase next. I thought it couldn't be much more fun to drive than my 07 550I. I was wrong. At low/normal speeds this car is as smooth as silk and a very quite ride. Drop it into sport mode and nail it, and you have a full blown sport sedan that's not only faster than the 550 but handles just as well. Needless to say, I traded the 550 that same day and drove off in the 09 750I. I drove all of the competitors offerings, A8, S550, E550. No comparison. Very solid. Sport option a must.

Favorite Features

If you're a serious driver, the sport package is a no-brainer. Camera option is very cool, not only for seeing what is behind you, but also the cameras located on the front end which give you a peek into traffic from the left and right sides of the car without sticking the nose out too far.

Suggested Improvements

None at the moment.

The Full Package
By RJ Salm

2009 BMW 7 Series 750i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

I've only had the car for 2 weeks but this is the most amazing vehicle I've ever driven. This car is ridiculously quick, far faster than a luxury sedan has the right to be. It must be conservatively rated at 5.1 seconds to 60 as it certainly feels much faster. That's saying something as I'm coming out of a tuned 2006 Carrera S. It's a large car that apparently doesn't realize its own size, with the 4 wheel steering and adaptive steering it turns on a dime. The optional sound system is excellent (although a 6 disc player is a waste of space in the dash when you already have a 12 gig hard drive and iPod adapter). Brakes feel grabby when in sport mode, likely the tranny dropping into 1st.

Favorite Features

Twin turbo power delivery has incredible flat torque curve, pins you into the seat for what feels like forever. Ventilated seats . The ride is whatever you want it to be. Understated presence. Quiet ride. Premium sound system rocks. New iDrive is super easy to use, completely intuitive.

Suggested Improvements

Needs 20" rims for proportionate look, should be standard. More storage up front (lose the 6 CD player or make it a stand alone option) Dinan needs to release a chip for this car... an easy tune for another 100 hp.

2009 7-series impression
By steverobin

2009 BMW 7 Series 750Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

I recently drove the 2009 750iL. I have had several 750iLs and currently own a 2006 750iL. The current car is masculine and sleek, on the outside and quite comfortable in the inside. I like the heads up display and the lane change indicator. The car is powerful and responsive in the BMW tradition. I noticed that the dash was covered with a light color leather and it reflected onto the windshield. This is dangerous. I also noticed a wind noise at the driver's window. This is something my current 750iL does not have. I was not impressed with a $1000 guzzler tax and a drop in gas mileage. This was poor planning.

Favorite Features

Heads up display blind spot indicator lane change indicator.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to 2008 750 iL engine. Turbo charging is fine when the economy is not sacrificed. Get rid of light color dash, it reflects onto windshield, this is a very bad idea.

Interior Design Needs Major Improvement
By bmwenthusiast

2009 BMW 7 Series 750Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

I've leased a 7 series for over the past 12 years. Ranging from the '03 to '07, to now '09 model. The drive is excellent as it always has been throughout the years. It is fast, comfortable, sleek and a pleasure to drive. However, the interior design has been a huge disappointment. The little space that was already in the earlier 7's is gone. The only item you can place at the dash now is a pen let alone the only place my phone can sit is the cup holder. For a business man, this inconvenience makes day-to-day travel to meetings a hassle. So much to the effect where I have even considered that when my lease ends switching to another make who has planned the interior with more practicality.

Favorite Features

Excellent improvement on the navigation and overall software changes in the system.

Suggested Improvements

As mentioned earlier, interior design completely lacks any sense of practicality.