Used 2005 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 BMW 7 Series

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

BMW 745Li
By Alex

2005 BMW 7 Series 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I recently purchased a 2005 745Li. I had a 2000 740iL before, and traded that in on this. The car has so much on it, it is somewhat confusing at first, though you learn how to use everything eventually. I still am not sure how to get the cell phone into the charger in the middle compartment, it doesnt seem to want to connect. Anyway, I had gone to look at Jaguar and Mercedes before this, but easily decided on the BMW in the end, because of all the features it offers.

Favorite Features

DVD Player with Rear I drive controller, Rear Electric Window Shades, I Drive, self closing doors & trunk, heated and air conditioned seats, and massaging drivers seat.

Suggested Improvements

None really, though with the back DVD screen, when people get in the front, if the screen is up, they tend to bump it with their arms, so it gets messed up for the people in the back. Maybe putting the screen on the ceiling or one of the back of each seat would be better.

What's not to like?
By Klaus is in the Haus

2005 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My 2nd Beemer. 1st was the M Roadster. The 745i is so much more comfortable and almost as much fun to drive. Most features well thought out but some defy logic. (What were the designers thinking when they put the door lock/unlock switch in the middle of the dash?) I-Drive learning curve is steep but a wonderful concept. The steering wheel controls and mode button are all I need to shuttle between Satelite, AM and 7 CD's without taking my eyes off the road. I just wish they would improve the navigation menus and display CD track titles. The Sat radio implementation is fantastic! I usually leave this set to display artist and track title. Hands free phone is nice too.

Favorite Features

I Drive. Handling and performance.

Suggested Improvements

CD titles to display. Better data base for nav system ("Information" is incredibly weak.) and more intuitive menu setup. Move door lock/unlock outboard.

DONT BELIEVE THE CRITICISM
By TAMPABMW

2005 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Dont let the negative criticism scare you away from this gem. In spite of negative reviews, BMW is selling almost 11,000 745 models a year. There is a reason: it is a fantastic driver's car without sacrificing any luxury. The power is always there and the handling will amaze, and--Comfort! Do not let the I-Drive criticism affect your decision. The basic drive elements of the car are independent of the system. Most of the other systems (toys) are redundant through I-Drive or voice recognition so if you don't like it, you don't have to use it. But if you can use a multifunction remote control for your stereo/tv/dvd, you will have no problem with I-Drive, and may come to enjoy it.

Favorite Features

Power, handling and comfort. Exquisite styling in and out which garners looks and compliments from ALL! (I have never heard anyone, except the professional reviewers, say this car needs improvement to its styling.) Comfort seats, soft close doors and I-Drive are great. Sport mode auto transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Lose the BMW telephone and perfect Bluetooth! Allow soft close trunk to operate from cabin button or remote fob, not just trunk lid. Allow easy disable of seatbelt chime for 2 minute drives within neighborhood!

GREAT CAR
By Jeffrey Sharp

2005 BMW 7 Series 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

A real show stopper and fun to drive, handles like a sports car and rides like a G4

Favorite Features

front seats

Suggested Improvements

improve I drive so it is easier to use

beaming BM owner
By John

2005 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

too bad these are so expensive. The roads would be much safer and faster with more of them

Favorite Features

Voice control commands

Suggested Improvements

Simplify the controls