Used 2005 BMW 7 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 BMW 7 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

I miss my 2001 740
By CFC

2005 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I miss the gear shift. I miss the easy controls. I miss the aggressive style. The 745iL is engineered well, handles great and is comfortable. Unfortunately I don't feel connnected. The trunk looks like I'm transporting a coffin. I'm a computer guy and the iDrive especially the NAV is annoying. The phone hears me...sometimes. The say it a software problem. Unfortunately it's hard to reboot on the freeway at 65. Unless things change, this is my last one. PS I love renting a car when I bring it in for service. At 80K I probably don't deserve one !

Favorite Features

Engine

Suggested Improvements

Start all over again with the design. Bring back the the gaer shift Simpify the the I drive. Go to a Lexus or Infiniti training class to learn how to treat customers.

What are they talking about
By bimmerman375

2005 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

After driving this car for the last few weeks, I can't imagine what troubles critics initally had with it. First and foremost, this machine drives beautifully; though it is large, the steering is incredibly light, especially at parking lot speeds. It has great interior and exterior designs and the comfort features (for example, ventilated seats and automatic closing trunk) are, though unnecessary, quite amazing. Idrive is also not very complicated - after 3 hours or so, I was able to master most features. Additionally, BMW still gives you the option of controlling most things (like the radio) from dedicated buttons on the wheel or center stack. This is a great car, indeed.

Favorite Features

Quick and responsive despite its size. interior space, trunk space, seats, gps, automatic closing trunk, and the dash are all spectacular. Telematics system is also useful. Fuel mileage is best in class, which is good.

Suggested Improvements

The wipers are a little confusing to use, and the rain sensor has to be turned on each time the car is started - this is kind of troublesome at times.

The best new car experience ever
By YL

2005 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Drives like a charm. Still somewhat of an eye catcher :-) Gas mileage just below that of my retired 328i.

Favorite Features

Simple climate controls.

Suggested Improvements

If I only get that built-in cell phone to work...

Critics need to calm down
By bimmer35

2005 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased this car about a week ago, and all I can say is that it is fabulous. The ride quality is superb, and it offers every creature comfort one could need. The seats are comfortable and there is ample room. Why then do critics mock BMWs premium sedan continuously? I believe iDrive is their central concern, but after only two days in the car, I grew quite comfortable with the GPS, entertainment, communication, and climate functions of the car. The only real problem I have with this car is keeping my kids away from all of the buttons that control the interesting features. All in all, i believe this to be a better car than the other competitors.

Favorite Features

GPS w/ voice operation, telematics system, comfort of seats, grade of components used, exquisite logic7 sound system, and, of course, the power of the engine and the excellent ride quality of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

None so far, but I understand that I haven't had enough time to find faults with the car.

A real driving machine
By Semmelmeyer

2005 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I was all set to buy a Lexus LS430 to replace a older Lexus LS 400. I drecided to test drive the BMW745li. WOW, what performance. I decided right then and there to buy one . I got several quotes and was able to get local BMW dealor to come within $700 of my other quote;so, I purchased it from them. It took a little time for me to master the Controler and the 100 &1 things to do. I really love the car and couldn't have made a better choice.

Favorite Features

Hands free cell phone

Suggested Improvements

Push button radio chanels