Used 2005 BMW 7 Series 745i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Bmw 7-series - Consumer Reviews

2005 BMW 7 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Great exterior looks but bad interior
By Chris

2005 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

They destroyed the interior and I regret my wife ever got this car. She doesn't drive it much but I do 80% of the time. I told her I have never seen a car take which was so great from an interior point of view before in the 2002 and under 7 series that felt you were in a cockpit of an airplane and totally destroy it. We plan on selling it this summer and going over to the S500 mercedes. Real sad because we a have had BMWs for 15 years.

Favorite Features

I love the exterior look of this vehicle. Can't say enough about how it looks.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the pre 2002 interior look and then you would have a heck of a vehicle.

Great car
By TonyB

2005 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have driven Mercedes (including the Mercedes 500E) for the past 25 years, and this BMW has so far exceeded my expectations. It's lots of fun to drive and handles superbly. I am tall with hip and back problems and the seats are the most comfortable of any car I've had. Also, the layout of all the controls is ergonomcially superior to any other car. Make sure you get the comfort acess option and heated steering wheel. You'd be making a mistake if you didn't.

Awesome Car
By Eric K

2005 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I got my new 745i in Aug of 2004. I have to say I was skeptical since the car as plagued with problems form the intro of the 2002 car. However, I have to say that I am very statisfied with my new 7 (which replaced a 2001 740i Sport). I got the comfort seats and did an AC Schnitzer aero kit on the car. It looks outrageous. I love this car. The iDrive? What's the fuss. It's like anything else new. Once you get used to it, no problem. I ave to say though that BMW needs to take a lesson from Acura on the navigation system. Although I can use it, it can be simplified. A great car overall!!!

Favorite Features

Comfort Seats, Satelite radio, overall drivability

Suggested Improvements

Simplify nav system

What's not to like?
By Klaus is in the Haus

2005 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My 2nd Beemer. 1st was the M Roadster. The 745i is so much more comfortable and almost as much fun to drive. Most features well thought out but some defy logic. (What were the designers thinking when they put the door lock/unlock switch in the middle of the dash?) I-Drive learning curve is steep but a wonderful concept. The steering wheel controls and mode button are all I need to shuttle between Satelite, AM and 7 CD's without taking my eyes off the road. I just wish they would improve the navigation menus and display CD track titles. The Sat radio implementation is fantastic! I usually leave this set to display artist and track title. Hands free phone is nice too.

Favorite Features

I Drive. Handling and performance.

Suggested Improvements

CD titles to display. Better data base for nav system ("Information" is incredibly weak.) and more intuitive menu setup. Move door lock/unlock outboard.

DONT BELIEVE THE CRITICISM
By TAMPABMW

2005 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Dont let the negative criticism scare you away from this gem. In spite of negative reviews, BMW is selling almost 11,000 745 models a year. There is a reason: it is a fantastic driver's car without sacrificing any luxury. The power is always there and the handling will amaze, and--Comfort! Do not let the I-Drive criticism affect your decision. The basic drive elements of the car are independent of the system. Most of the other systems (toys) are redundant through I-Drive or voice recognition so if you don't like it, you don't have to use it. But if you can use a multifunction remote control for your stereo/tv/dvd, you will have no problem with I-Drive, and may come to enjoy it.

Favorite Features

Power, handling and comfort. Exquisite styling in and out which garners looks and compliments from ALL! (I have never heard anyone, except the professional reviewers, say this car needs improvement to its styling.) Comfort seats, soft close doors and I-Drive are great. Sport mode auto transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Lose the BMW telephone and perfect Bluetooth! Allow soft close trunk to operate from cabin button or remote fob, not just trunk lid. Allow easy disable of seatbelt chime for 2 minute drives within neighborhood!