2004 BMW 7 Series 745i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Amazing Driving Experience
By tarek307

2004 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

i must say, i was worried about getting a 745li, knowing all the issues those cars sometimes have. But i've really had no issues, & value wise, even if i get issues, its ok. This car is a true drivers car, has that amazing heavy yet sporty infamous BMW feel to the max! Its a pleasure driving this baby..feels nothing like the big huge sedan it is.

Favorite Features

Power, smoothness, comfort, ride.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical issues, alternator, are some of the known issues.

No Longevity Here
By mylast7

2004 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

After coming off 315K miles on a 1992 BMW 735i, we were anxious to have a newer version. Interior trim is cheap, as noted by kick panels and sill plate's "interior colored coverings" coming off to reveal a different color underneath. Don't touch the sill plates with your shoes! Car has 85K on it and has had 2 fuel pumps replaced within 100 miles of each other ($1,283.82). Newer BMWs apparently had numerous fuel pump issues. Suspension components, per the dealer, are worn and leaking and need replcement, note these are non-serviceable components. Front thrust rod bushings needed for $1062.46; and rear wisbones need replacement for $1,075. So much for the "driving machine" they taut.

Favorite Features

Great on the freeways, good in town. Nice ride with decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

BMW needs to imporve their customer service image, hopefully phasing out the phrase, "it's out of warranty". Only purchase a BMW with a bumper to bumper warranmty and with their service agreement. You're on your own after 50K, so beware of how you spend your hard earned money. Having worked in the service departments of franchise dealerships myself, a customer who had properly maintained their vehicle had some clout with the factory on abnormal issues...opps, that was Nissan.

Will do it again!
By BMW Fan

2004 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned many BMW's as a young man starting with 323i coupe, 325ix wagon, Z3, Z4, 528i, 535is, 540i, 740i, 740il and now a 2004 745i. BMW's are well made as evidenced by my 745i. I have all of the options you can possibly get including air and massage front seats. The car handles extremely well especially on long road trips. The idrive could be improved as it is a little slow to respond but intuitive if you're comfortable with computers. I know the 2009 have better lines and I wouldn't mind getting a new one but not yet.

Favorite Features

Performance, front and rear seats, safety, safety.

Suggested Improvements

A more responsive idrive.

Great Cars!!!
By BMW man

2004 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I own a Z4 and 530 but obviously this is my absolute favorite. This car is powerful but a bit touchy on take off but very smooth when switching gears. All of the options are a bit confusing at first but now I like them. I get more than enough looks and comments when I drive it. I'm 6'5" and 240 lbs and this vehicle adjusts to my size very easily with more than enough fun and comfortable features. If you want something to brag about and be admired, this is the car for you!!!

Favorite Features

The 20 way seats with the massager is really comfortable. Engine is very quiet and responsive with fair gas mileage 23 MPG (what can you expect from a 330 HP V8). Finally, the voice command with all the useful menu's to help while driving. Great stuff!!

Suggested Improvements

Obviously, things have changed but easier radio controls, more default setting to customize exactly what I want. Brighter fog lamps and better seal in the sunroof when closed (can't hear much when shade is closed but can when shade is open).

WOW
By MyFirstBmw

2004 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I'm not usually the type to go online and post reviews but this BMW has compelled me to do so. This is my 1st BMW and I am blown away! It's the most intelligent car that I've every experienced. This car has brought the "fun" back to driving. Driving to me used to be a chore. Now I look forward to getting behind the wheel. I bought a preowned 2004 745i and it has all bells and whistles (19" rims - sports package, satellite radio, heated/ventilated seats, soft close doors, adaptive cruise control, etc.). I am now a BMW lover. I initially planned on purchasing a Mercedes Benz S500 but I'm so glad I went with this. No problems thus far.

Favorite Features

I'm a techie so I love the iDrive. My 745i also has a lot of "get up and go". I love the "curb appeal" this car has. A perfect stranger walked up to me at a gas station and told me that this car really makes a statement. That's BMW for you!

Suggested Improvements

I like how you can open all windows and sunroof via the remote. I wish you could close them via the remote, instead of having to put in key in door and turn. Small enhancement though.

Performance and Luxury
By dejoyf

2004 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Car is fun to drive, powerful and comfortable. The performance is outstanding with great power, braking, and safety features. The luxury features are fun and convenient, especially if you have to commute to work every day. It's nice to be able to make calls, flip through satellite radio, or relax in quiet.

Favorite Features

Power, luxury (iDrive, sat radio, phone), appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Folding side mirrors for parking.

Nice Ride, but....
By NormDePlume

2004 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I love driving this car - my 2nd Bimmer. That I can't get CD track titles to display has been driving me nuts for three years. I see the new 7 series has fixed this, and some other iDrive related short comings. Too bad they can't make those changes on the one I already own.

Favorite Features

Ride, audio, comfort! and fuel economy (relative to comparables).

Suggested Improvements

Blue tech diesel wagon version? Better fuel economy. Better visibility to the rear. (Can't parallel park in the city without the Park Assist.) Another inch of ground clearance on the front bumper to spare it in suburban parking lots.

2004 745i
By TONY S

2004 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

What a dream car!, Looks, handling, great quality are typical of this and my previous 3 BMWs. After being inundated by all the new procedures from the starting to operating the vehicles too numerous features, I longed for the old simple Brake and gas models. But as I began to read and reread and reread I have begun to understand and use the (too many) features (most of which a normal person would never use or need needless to say understand). But from the solid door closing to the massaging seats to the sound system and the road holding traction it's a BMW. Brilliantly Manufactured Wonder. Yes! I do like my BMW.

Favorite Features

Where do I start. Solid Body, Smooth lines, Strong engine, The feel of real control.

Suggested Improvements

A more basic version, fewer bells and whistles.

Love my seven!
By Tony

2004 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I've owned this car for 18 months. I LOVE it. It drives like a dream and I have had no problems at all. I have the all-way adjustable seats with a/c, heating and a massage. They are the 2nd most comfortable seats I've ever driven in (next to a Toyota Land Cruiser, believe it or not). The iDrive gets loads of bad press, but it's fine. I even like it. If you are not totally tech-averse, you will not have any trouble with it. Contrary to what's written, the most frequently used controls are still available on knobs on the dash. Sound system is great, but the two CD players (one changer, one in-dash single) is perhaps a bit of overkill.

Favorite Features

Optional fancy seats and steering heater in the winter!

Suggested Improvements

Xdrive.

Enjoying 7 Series but...
By Carmen Miranda

2004 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Long time BMW owner. First time a 7 series owner and loving it. Performance, style, power, comfort are wonderous. However, computer keeps shorting out causing it to be in the 'shop' 2 times in last 4 months. Overall, just as long as BMW corrects problem and gives me a free loaner car...am satisfied, for now.

Favorite Features

Handling, power and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Improve on computer/electronics reliability.