2003 BMW 7 Series 745i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Just sold the car
By psecondo

2003 BMW 7 Series 760Li 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 6A)

My car 2003 760 IL was a fantastic car. I said "was" because after the first few years it became eminently unreliable and extremely expensive to fix. But I loved the car and, admittedly, I kept it for too long. Finally I just sold it after it developed a fuel problem (problems to start the car and to idle) that the BMW dealership deemed "unfixable".....the car had only 64,000 miles! I had a 760il of the previous generation that developed valve problems at 80,000 miles. I had a lot of problems with big Mercedes as well. I think I will skip German for a while.

Favorite Features

Fantastic V12

Suggested Improvements

Make the car simpler and more reliable

7th Wonder?
By shinjitsu

2003 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The car overall is fantastic. Itís an almost do everything type of vehicle if youíre looking for something to be a commuter by day and sports car by night. Do your homework (service records) before buying one and make sure able to afford the maintenance required for this car. Itís not a Toyota. If you can at the time of purchase buy and extended or aftermarket warranty. The parts for this car are a little pricey but when itís all said and done, itís hard to find anything else out there that drives and handles like it.

Favorite Features

The logic 7 surround sound, Sport Mode, The handling (sports package) and the sound of the V8 at high Rpms. Adaptive rear brake lights. The stopping power! Interior and leg room, leather quality.

Suggested Improvements

Parts availability, better interior door plastics, durable front and rear windshield molding as they seem to deteriorate, break and fall apart while washing the car.

Dream come true
By jdcraw

2003 BMW 7 Series 760Li 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 6A)

I had always thought my dream car would be a Cadillac or a Mercedes, but when this car came into my life, it was a "dream come true". It had ultimate luxury and ultimate power. I have no plans to ever replace this car only to loving care for it and maintain it until death do us part. This is my 1st and last BMW!

Favorite Features

speed, power, luxury feeling

Suggested Improvements

enable dvd while driving in the front

Looks Can Be Deceiving.
By SportyDave

2003 BMW 7 Series 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This seems like a brilliant car, the interior is sumptuous with a gorgeous dashboard (especially when the navigation is on). Ride is smooth, and engine just purrs. Every angle of this car grabs attention. However, the reliability is abysmal! This car has been in the shop so many times, I eventually just sold it. Glitches in interior parts (too many motors and unnecessary gizmos prone to go bad over time) just added to the gamut of problems. This car is atrocious in the winter or any slick conditions. The fat rear tires get no traction, and on subject, tires they DO sell are outrageously expensive. $400 a tire! And they barely make 10k miles. In fact, most parts for this car are absurd.

Favorite Features

Styling, engine noises, roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability is horrendous, parts are ridiculously priced, "snotty person" look to which others on the road react negatively. The car depreciates like a boulder falling off a cliff.

What's not to like!
By Tom Zimmer

2003 BMW 7 Series 760Li 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 6A)

This is my fourth BMW, second seven series. They just keep getting better and better! The seven rides like a dream and handles like a tight sports car. The crowd at BMW truly define the Ultimate Driving Machine!

Favorite Features

The interior comfort for all four people translates into a performance dream for the driver.

Suggested Improvements

Voice recognition system in 03' needs some improvement.

I can't believe
By l. conroe

2003 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The 745i is a great car when I am able to drive it. I've spent countless hours driving back and forth to the dealership because of malfunctions. It's great they give free maintenance for the first 50 thousand miles because you will need it. My gripe is that I maintained my car with regular service. The "check engine light" came on. I thought it would be some minor repair. Turns out the repair cost is $12000 for "CARBON' on the cylinder head!!!!-not a blown head gasket, but CARBON!! That's like telling me the brake dust on my rotors require a new axle! The ULTIMATE MACHINE has a poorly designed engine if carbon build up requires 12 grand of service. No More BMW for me - Honda/Infiniti here I am.

Favorite Features

drives well on the road

Suggested Improvements

Improve the engine. There's no way a car on the level of the 745i should have carbon buildup that would cost the owner that much money.

Fun car to drive
By rpm

2003 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Had little issues but not too much to be worried. Great car to own.

Favorite Features

Handling and response.

Suggested Improvements

Electronics need improvements, radio system and nav are a little slow and not too easy to operate.

Truly comfort and true luxury
By Pat

2003 BMW 7 Series 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My wife and I chose this car because we needed a full size sedan that could comfortably fit 1-2 car seats and 2 adults with comfort. Believe it or not it is hard to find a car that can accomplish that and still maintain comfort for everyone. This car does it all. We had to get the Li for the space. This car is loaded with all kinds of gadgets and toys that I love to play with. After spending time with the iDrive, it's really not that bad, you just have to get used to it. My wife loves it for the space and the trunk is huge! Can you tell that I am rating this as a family man? Great family vehicle.

Favorite Features

The space that the Li provides interiorly and in the trunk. Great gadgets! I love those seat massagers too!

Unsatisfied Customer
By BMW

2003 BMW 7 Series 760Li 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 6A)

Excellent engine, plenty of powers. IDrive - terrible mistake. Had so many problems with it. Mechanical support from the dealer is terrible. They do not know how to fix it. I left the car for 15 days last month to fix the air conditioner fan. Took in three times for the same problem about the seat belt warning sign within the first 6 months afrer the purchase of the car. My patients think think that I am working at BMW dealer because I drove so many different BMWs (loaners from the dealer) to work. The 7 series was a mistake and I will never buy BMW near future even though I have two as of now. I am a bit afraid to drive this car.

Favorite Features

Status symbol, that is it.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to old BMW, forget the computerized controls.

Best of the Best
By Unique

2003 BMW 7 Series 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great vehicle to have and fantastic. This car beats every other car in style, luxury, looks, options and so on. Extended warranty by BMW up to 6 years or 100,000 miles is great to have, which covers everything from maintenance to replacing bulbs for free of charge.

Favorite Features

I like all the packages/options available for this vehicle and its great.

Suggested Improvements

None...