Used 2002 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW 7 Series

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Awsome Drive
By Shahid Hashmi

2002 BMW 7 Series 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The drive is best of all the cars I have owned and I have owned MB, Infinity Q45 and Accura Legend. No other car on this planet can compare to the fun driving this car. After this car I dont want to drive my MB 420E as it is so primitivr to & series.

Favorite Features

Th i drive which is very intutive and easy to use if one uses common sense.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system needs to tbe DVD based

An expensive lemon
By VA BMW Owner

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I drove my 2002 745i for six months before I finally was fed up with the never ending updates/defects and traded the car. I quickly learned the iDrive system and I have no patience for the whining computer illiterate types who bought the car and can't figure out how to use it. This car had a never ending series of bizarre defects and constant problems that were repaired 2 or 3 times with little success. I also tired of the never ending series of software updates and control module replacements that required an average of 3 days in the shop per round of updates.

Favorite Features

Flawless engine, perfectly tuned suspension, excellent performance for a large sedan, extremely quiet ride on the highway, Logic7 sound system upgrade is worth the money.

Suggested Improvements

BMW should do better quality control and test the car in Europe before they bring it to the U.S. full of software defects in a brand new, highly complex system.

BMW 7451 - Awsome
By dman

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is our 4th BMW. Unbelievable ride, you don't want to stop driving. Can't wait to take it on a long trip. I-Drive is easy. Be patient.

Favorite Features

Distint looks, you know its a bmw. Lexus owners have nothing on this one. 745I Rear deck is different, it grows on you.

Suggested Improvements

telephone instructions need to be easier.

A Poor Choice
By AlmostEXBeamer

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The yellow caution flag unfurled shortly after I took delivery of a 745i in May, 2002. The clock lost time, the sound system developed a roaring hiss and the navigation system intermittenly stopped working. The clock module, the computer screen, and the navagation system were replaced. The car lost battery power once. Last autumn, an engine malfunction developed. The alloy coating the valve stems flaked off. One cylinder was scored, so the ENGINE was replaced! Did I mention a defective ignition coil after 9000 mi? I think the dealer did as best as possible. No matter how much sugar you put on a lemon, you are still left with a sour taste in your mouth.

Favorite Features

The iDRIVE concept, road-handling, acceleration

Suggested Improvements

More attention to reliability of hardware and software. More padding of the driver's seat-bottom.

After 8 years of Lexus LS400-430's
By arby

2002 BMW 7 Series 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Likes and dislikes in order: It is good looking. It turns heads like you can't believe. It steers like it is on rails. The I-drive is easy if you give it a chance. It is just a learning curve you have to get through. It is safe and efficient. It is extremely cold natured. The I drive is great...if it hangs up here and there go get the latest software update. I don't like the seats..period. I would like to up shift manually.

Favorite Features

Looks..It is bad! Performance on city streets and highways! Courage by the designers and engineers to try and suceed with something that was not mainstream!

Suggested Improvements

It is a cold natured beast. Park it in a garage. The seats are tough for me to get used to but I am sure I will get over them. I have been driving a Lexus too long.