2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
745i, car of the future
By former mbz on 10/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I was concerned about getting this car due to 745 forums that spoke of very poor reliability problems. These seemed to be with the early build problems(Dec- April 2002). I waited and got an August 2002 build date. So far the car has been flawless. I love the interior room, comfortable seats, and overall richness of the car. The cars performance and handling is outstanding!

Best bang for buck
By Charlotte 745i on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Test drove S-420, QX-4, LS-430 and nothing comes close in style, performance, interior finish and comfort. 745 was recalled for computer and fuel pump issues, but we were given a 745 loaner. No complaints. This car is simply the most athletic car I've ever owned. Power and refinement, what more could you want?

Released with bugs
By fisheater80 on 09/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Awsome handling and an absolute road machine for highway or country roads. But way too many bugs for the BMW flagship. Should have waited to release. Intermittent window, radio, trunk release, phone keypad problems. I- drive reprogramming better, but still has bugs. Hesitation at stoplights is the most maddening thing.

iDrive Failure
By I.M. Frustrated on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned this car for 97 days. Unfortunately for me, it has been in the shop 55 days and counting. The iDrive system locks up frequently and when it does you lose the radio, phone and navigation systems. I might understand it if this was a buget priced Daewoo or Kia, needless to say, it is not what I expect from a car that costs $80K. As many other people have noted in the consumer reports, the dealerships are worthless at solving the problems. The one I'm working with in Buena Park, CA, is no different. BMW does not understand Customer Service.

Should have waited one year more
By GD on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Just took delivery on 8-1-02, since then the car has spent 90% of it's life being service for all sort of problems. Battery keep discharging by itself overnight, need to boost the car every morning. Dealer has no clue what the problem is or how to fix.This is my 4th 740iL. In all fairness the dealer has been very helpfull providing another 745 as a loaner car. Guest what, the new replacement 745 has as many problems as my own car. BMW need's to train dealer on how to service the car. They should have waited another year before introducing this car.

Wait before you buy
By The Boss on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 745i back in May and wrote a great review about the car...then the problems. I have a terrible problem with the software in the NAV system and the dealer does not have a clue on how to fix it. My car has been in the shop three times and still is not repaired. If you like the car I suggest you wait another year for BMW to work out the bugs. I can't wait to get rid of mine.

Never again!
By Bjncfo on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

2nd BMW I've owned and this will be the last. All of the great features of this car are offset by the endless number of bugs. Software problems, transmission problems, etc. Who wants to drive a car with the radio on when it skips through the preset stations constantly? Car has been in to the dealer four times. Latest visit is now for more than a week. Back to Lexus for me!

Great buy for the money!
By allawi1 on 08/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Excellent value, better than expected with soothness of drive and very impressive engine !

vibration
By LIZZIEBMW740Ii on 08/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Has intermitent shimmy/vibration in front end balancing did not fix it, alignment did not fix it, new front tires didn't fix, it putting new 18" tires in place of my 19" tires did not fix it.

BMW New Problems
By NC BMW 745Li Owner on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The best design in world. But flaws.At approx 75 plus MPH a high frequency begins until 80. This is not acceptable. Leith Inc. of Raleigh NC: greatest people to buy from. 11 new Mercedes and 3 740iL's ,one 745Li a loaned NEW 745i Leith went to bat for me with BMW and settled to my satisfaction.I have only driven the two cars, but I would advise testing the car. The problem will appear almost immediately. Rriend assures his does not have noise. But if you buy a car, buy it from Leith Inc. of Raleigh, NC. They sell Mercedes, Audi, BMW.