2002 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
wonderful to drive nightmare to own
By ducati749 on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The car handles like sports car. the acceleration for such a large vehicle is remarkable. the i drive requires a college degree to operate. I think I have the car at the dealership more often than at home. I think a yugo is more reliable.

Too Many Parts
By disatisfied ob-gyn on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

It has been a lifelong dream to finally own the car. Now the bad part. The car has been into the dealership more times than I can remember. Problems started with the electronic keyfob system. I've been stuck along the side of many roads and in many parking lots waiting for BMW roadside. I thought it was my fault that the doors were left open and my belongs ransacked but as I tried to lock them I saw that the locks open up by themselves. Overall I can't say that I am satisfied. I probably should have bought an S series Benz. To have so much electronic equipment and not train the mechanics is just Bad Business.

'03 745i
By waldroje on 05/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

i only have 1300 miles behind me but can confirm that getting this car was the right decision. the ride and performance are outstanding, while setting up preferences w/ idrive was a breeze. went w/ 19'' wheels which add a lot to the appearance. no complaints.

745 Li
By Roger W Perman on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is our third large BMW, th eprevious were 740iL's. This is a great car and a wonderful road car. We have had no problems with this car and are really enjoying it. The handling and ride are superb. The quality of the finish on the door sills needs some BMW attention.

$79,000 worth of gagets
By Jerry Madden on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I enjoy driving the car but have had eight recalls since owning the car. Most all of problems have to do with the computer or iDrive which is a mess to use. There is still the constant hesitation which they are unable to fix. Overall the car is overated,over "gageted", and over priced. BMW rushed the car to market a year too early.

An expensive lemon
By VA BMW Owner on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I drove my 2002 745i for six months before I finally was fed up with the never ending updates/defects and traded the car. I quickly learned the iDrive system and I have no patience for the whining computer illiterate types who bought the car and can't figure out how to use it. This car had a never ending series of bizarre defects and constant problems that were repaired 2 or 3 times with little success. I also tired of the never ending series of software updates and control module replacements that required an average of 3 days in the shop per round of updates.

BMW 7451 - Awsome
By dman on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is our 4th BMW. Unbelievable ride, you don't want to stop driving. Can't wait to take it on a long trip. I-Drive is easy. Be patient.

A Poor Choice
By AlmostEXBeamer on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The yellow caution flag unfurled shortly after I took delivery of a 745i in May, 2002. The clock lost time, the sound system developed a roaring hiss and the navigation system intermittenly stopped working. The clock module, the computer screen, and the navagation system were replaced. The car lost battery power once. Last autumn, an engine malfunction developed. The alloy coating the valve stems flaked off. One cylinder was scored, so the ENGINE was replaced! Did I mention a defective ignition coil after 9000 mi? I think the dealer did as best as possible. No matter how much sugar you put on a lemon, you are still left with a sour taste in your mouth.

In the shop again!
By uscdentist on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 8th BMW. It is by far the most unreliable one I have owned. Today I had to drop it off at the dealer after the ENGINE MALFUNCTION light came on. The one thing I didn't expect to go wrong in this car was the engine. I guess the suspension is next.

it could have been so good
By Dr kanji on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The interieur is miserable, the signallight stalk is placed wrong. The "I" drive should be srapped at once. The doors do not open far enough. Ever tried to undu the emergency brake,good luck