Used 2002 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

2002 BMW 745i
By AMAZING

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The most amazing car I have ever owned. I've done Lexus for years and I've owned two mercedes S-Classes but nothing is like my 745. It is fun to drive and I love the technology. I'll admit I was nervous when I purchased my used 7 series, but it's been months and I have yet to encounter a single problem with this iDrive business, I love the iDrive. I've never gotten so many turning heads in the lexus or benz either, like my 7!

Favorite Features

Luxury seat package!

Suggested Improvements

Slightly better fuel economy would make it perfect.

Great car, but very unreliable
By jstewart

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I really enjoy this car except for having to take it in to get the latest computer malfunction fixed every few months. CONSTANT computer problems and other little things going awry, fortunately it's under warranty but I'd hate to think what the maintenance costs would be if it wasn't. Definitely not keeping the car past the warranty. Amazing handling for a car this size, I love all the bells and whistles, ultra comfortable, but the computer system is garbage.

Favorite Features

Handling, all the gizmos and features (maybe too many for its own good... too much stuff to break!).

Suggested Improvements

2002 especially needs a complete overhaul of the computer. Reprogramming it every few months doesn't fix the problems for very long. Very frustrating for an $80k car.

More Bang for the Buck
By Clyde

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have had my 2002 745i for a year and and half and I must say I enjoy it more and more each day. Handling is precise, ride is firm but smooth, looks - it still turns heads! The iDrive is fun once you get used to it - it can be a showpiece for passengers not used to computer oriented commands. No mechanical issues, full warranty until late '08 - I couldn't ask for more!!!

Favorite Features

Interior, color (Jet Black), ride, strong engine, wide rims and tires, attention getter!

Suggested Improvements

Telescopic steering wheel needs to adjust automatically when you turn the car off. I have to manually move the steering wheel in order to get out of the car comfortably. I'm a tall person, so that would help.

Too many kinks
By tom

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I liked the exterior design and smooth engine, but iDrive is slow and needlessly complicated. Many kinks in the car: 1) window lift mechanism poor as when it malfunctions (happened twice), no way to close the window. 2) key gets stuck in ignition. 3) if park too close to curb, rims hit before the run flat tires. 4) mobile phone connection flimsy

Favorite Features

Good seats; smooth engine; good interior layout

Suggested Improvements

Simplify iDrive; locate seat controls by inside door handle; improve reliability of window lift or design in a manual lift mechanism

Great Car
By Tom M

2002 BMW 7 Series 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I expected to be driving a 2001 S600 or maybe a Lexus two months ago. But after test drives I found nothing comes close to the 745Li in comfort (luxury seat pkg w/ massage), and sheer pleasure to drive. The car does everything I ask of it. The iDrive is not as intuitive as it could be but there is often more than one way to do something eg change radio stations/CD to radio by voice, a/c by dash buttons, etc. Once I got a couple of free hours to read the manual w/o the usual kid and other distractions it was fairly easy. The 6yr/100k mile warranty was appealing as well. I do wonder why BMW discontinued the infinitely variable intake manifold in the 2006 745s.

Favorite Features

The sheer joy of driving it

Suggested Improvements

More seat adjustment and climate options/controls for rear passengers, rear cooler and steptronic in US 745s