2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
2002 BMW 745i
By AMAZING on 11/20/07 22:35 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The most amazing car I have ever owned. I've done Lexus for years and I've owned two mercedes S-Classes but nothing is like my 745. It is fun to drive and I love the technology. I'll admit I was nervous when I purchased my used 7 series, but it's been months and I have yet to encounter a single problem with this iDrive business, I love the iDrive. I've never gotten so many turning heads in the lexus or benz either, like my 7!

Great car, but very unreliable
By jstewart on 07/19/07 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I really enjoy this car except for having to take it in to get the latest computer malfunction fixed every few months. CONSTANT computer problems and other little things going awry, fortunately it's under warranty but I'd hate to think what the maintenance costs would be if it wasn't. Definitely not keeping the car past the warranty. Amazing handling for a car this size, I love all the bells and whistles, ultra comfortable, but the computer system is garbage.

More Bang for the Buck
By Clyde on 05/18/07 12:09 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have had my 2002 745i for a year and and half and I must say I enjoy it more and more each day. Handling is precise, ride is firm but smooth, looks - it still turns heads! The iDrive is fun once you get used to it - it can be a showpiece for passengers not used to computer oriented commands. No mechanical issues, full warranty until late '08 - I couldn't ask for more!!!

Too many kinks
By tom on 04/19/06 20:13 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I liked the exterior design and smooth engine, but iDrive is slow and needlessly complicated. Many kinks in the car: 1) window lift mechanism poor as when it malfunctions (happened twice), no way to close the window. 2) key gets stuck in ignition. 3) if park too close to curb, rims hit before the run flat tires. 4) mobile phone connection flimsy

Great Car
By Tom M on 03/09/06 23:48 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I expected to be driving a 2001 S600 or maybe a Lexus two months ago. But after test drives I found nothing comes close to the 745Li in comfort (luxury seat pkg w/ massage), and sheer pleasure to drive. The car does everything I ask of it. The iDrive is not as intuitive as it could be but there is often more than one way to do something eg change radio stations/CD to radio by voice, a/c by dash buttons, etc. Once I got a couple of free hours to read the manual w/o the usual kid and other distractions it was fairly easy. The 6yr/100k mile warranty was appealing as well. I do wonder why BMW discontinued the infinitely variable intake manifold in the 2006 745s.

Land Yacht
By rpb750 on 02/27/06 12:34 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I was amazed on the power and smooth acceleration of this car. It has much more power than any lexus I have ever driven. The interior is very roomy and comfortable. I would not buy any other luxury car. The speed of this car is shocking...

VEHICLE FOR THE ELITE
By clyde on 10/16/05 16:43 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I've had the vehicle for over two weeks, and it's been a joy to drive. The power is scary at times - technology is like nothing you've ever seen! Exchanged the 19 inch alloys for chrome and it sets it off!! Comfortable ride, although the Pirellis do not ride as comfortable as Michelins. Totally satisfied so far.

"the ultimate driving machine
By drjbmw on 01/11/05 12:05 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

An old timer with BMWs, I have owned 7 series since 88. I love the car and enjoy driving it. I have taken different 7s on interstate trips and have enjoyed the "Ultimate driving machine". BMW is ahead of the time and has always had some "technical issues" with their "1st year" model on 7 series due to complex electrical systems and components of the vehicle. The dealerships are very aware of the adjustments and have always tried to repair the defect. Part of owning a toy like this is to understand it would need maintenance and some TLC.

I hate the I-Drive
By No more BMW for me on 12/28/04 01:59 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

BMW should send this car back to Microsoft. The i-drive is worthless. In theory, it is a good idea, but in practice it sucks. Do you know you can't listen to the radio in the car when parked for more than 15 minutes? The whole computer system has to stay on and it drains the battery. The CD has almost no functionallity. It forgets where it was the last time you had it on everytime. The voice recognition is useless as it takes so long to do anything. The navigation system takes you to the wrong address by making bad assumptions (and not telling you about it). Overall, it is a disaster and I will never touch a BMW again. (I bought this model when it came out and have suffered with it for 3 years.)

Not bad - could be better for the money
By yao on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series Sedan 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Mechanics such as engine/trans response is great. The breaking is also great. The radio had be replace three times. he sound quality is not what I expected. The Lexus 450 which I've heard and my S500 have a far superior system for the money. Frankly, the I drive is not good. Ease and function is poor. The tilt/telscoping wheel could come out further and down. Mercedes has a much more comfortable seat but the beamer is a rockect. Some of the interior features are "cheap" for the money. Much better in the cadillac, lexus and acura. BMW should take some hints from them. Overall interior look is very nice compared to other models in the same catagory.