Used 2002 BMW 7 Series 745i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

No BMW Support
By Peter

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

When I purchased this car, it was covered under the extended warranty package. Notwithstanding, the car was in the service bay every two weeks, fixing a sensor, rebooting the computer,checking a warning light. At six years two months and 128,000 KM or post-warranty coverage a new transmission was required; a second transmission tune-up(??) at 133,000 km. The dealerships are at a loss to completely repair some of the noises under the hood: it has become a very expensive guessing game. When there was difficulty starting the car, an alternator and new battery were recommended. An independent garage, they replaced the starter at a third the labor/parts charge. BMW shrugs & smiles and I get poorer!

Favorite Features

I loved the high performance drive and the remarkable cornering ability. If you are looking for a road-hugging, highly responsive car with a ton of features that sometimes are difficult to use, then this is the car to own. You have to weigh the ++ with the trade-off of shop time and warning lights.

Suggested Improvements

BMW should have been castigated for allowing the 2002 745 model off the lot. Too many issues with the oversensitivity, too many warning lights. Under warranty the service departments attempt to work with the existing parts; post-warranty, everyone wants to replace the parts. Hmm! It is their worst!

Love/Hate
By DD

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I love/hate this car. The love portion comes with it being one of the most exhilarating cars to drive - until a malfunction light registers in your dashboard (which is an every other month occurrence). The medical bills on this car are unreal. It still has a clicking noise that no one can seem to cure; not even the dealer. Mine has over 125k on it now and is almost paid off but I don't know how much more I can take with these outrageous medical bills she bears.

Favorite Features

Flat out fun to drive. It has a commanding presence that others can't ignore. Acceleration is smooth, swift and still powerful.

Suggested Improvements

Total improvement in durability and reliability is a must! A car that costs this much should not be in the shop so much. The vehicle is super- sensitive; the slightest imperfection requires a trip to the shop.

2002 BMW 745i
By AMAZING

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The most amazing car I have ever owned. I've done Lexus for years and I've owned two mercedes S-Classes but nothing is like my 745. It is fun to drive and I love the technology. I'll admit I was nervous when I purchased my used 7 series, but it's been months and I have yet to encounter a single problem with this iDrive business, I love the iDrive. I've never gotten so many turning heads in the lexus or benz either, like my 7!

Favorite Features

Luxury seat package!

Suggested Improvements

Slightly better fuel economy would make it perfect.

Great car, but very unreliable
By jstewart

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I really enjoy this car except for having to take it in to get the latest computer malfunction fixed every few months. CONSTANT computer problems and other little things going awry, fortunately it's under warranty but I'd hate to think what the maintenance costs would be if it wasn't. Definitely not keeping the car past the warranty. Amazing handling for a car this size, I love all the bells and whistles, ultra comfortable, but the computer system is garbage.

Favorite Features

Handling, all the gizmos and features (maybe too many for its own good... too much stuff to break!).

Suggested Improvements

2002 especially needs a complete overhaul of the computer. Reprogramming it every few months doesn't fix the problems for very long. Very frustrating for an $80k car.

More Bang for the Buck
By Clyde

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have had my 2002 745i for a year and and half and I must say I enjoy it more and more each day. Handling is precise, ride is firm but smooth, looks - it still turns heads! The iDrive is fun once you get used to it - it can be a showpiece for passengers not used to computer oriented commands. No mechanical issues, full warranty until late '08 - I couldn't ask for more!!!

Favorite Features

Interior, color (Jet Black), ride, strong engine, wide rims and tires, attention getter!

Suggested Improvements

Telescopic steering wheel needs to adjust automatically when you turn the car off. I have to manually move the steering wheel in order to get out of the car comfortably. I'm a tall person, so that would help.