Used 2002 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

BMW745li won't go in gear after its driven
By karace07

2002 BMW 7 Series 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have a BMW 745li that the transmission was replaced at 20000. If I drive it now and turn the car off it may not go in gear for at least an hour. It will start but not move. BMW dealership could not tell me the problem. The car is still under 100000 but no longer under warranty because of the year. I would like to know if anyone else has this problem. Any repair suggestions?

The car is beautiful and roomy. It runs smooth when it runs.

2002 BMW 7 Series (Good and Bad)
By shame

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I want to buy a 7 Series but I have been told by many BMW salesmen that if I'm going to get one, by a 2003 or newer. They say that the 02 had several problems. I like the 2002 and newer body style. I Never cared for the 2001 and before body styles. But what I don't understand is for such an expensive car why did it come out with so many problems. Most of the reviews on the car from anyone who has owned one seemed to be very mixed reviews. People keep complaining that the car has several mechanical problems, but also say that they've kept the car for 5 to 10 years. So it must not be that bad. What changes were made in the 2003 and newer models to improve all the problems?

Had enough!
By enzo360

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

After 7 years of ownership, finally had enough of the continual issues with this car and traded it in (not a BMW). Only drove the car in the summer but that did not prevent many costly repairs once the warranty was over. Major coolant leak leading to engine damage (covered by warranty), cooling fan replaced, passenger window motor, 2 batteries, alternator, 6 CD changer malfunctioned, steering alignment could never be done properly leading to uneven tire wear on expensive Dunlops, bad sunroof windnoise that "could not be fixed", excessive road noise, clunky transmission, check engine light "forever" ON, low battery warning would appear often. Each dealer visit; minimum $1000. Enough!

Liked black on black look with BMW performance wheels. Very roomy interior.

First generation I Drive a real pain to use.

love/hate -- sold it and bought an acura
By viola128

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I had the 745i for 10 years and at only 80 thousand miles, i finally decided to get rid of it. Fortunately, I sold it for a pretty good price and I was being very honest to the guy who bought it about the problems I had with the car before (they were fixed). I love the driving and I do agree that it's very addictive and this is why it took me so long to sell it. But, after 6 years, it started to need my attention and i have not stop paying money to keep it running in good shape. I had 3 oil leaks, coolant problems, vacuum failed twice, power window, shade, door lock, power button for the seat etc....and, I had the service engine lights on as well.

I paid top dollars for this car and only got to enjoy it for 6 years without getting headaches and paying lots of money to keep it alive. My wife and I had own Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus and mercedes before and never had this much problem. no matter how great this car is to drive, it's not worth the money to have to go through this much to keep it in shape. i will never buy another BMW again and am enjoying my current Acura. I will stick to Jap car !

Most comfortable and powerful Car!
By OFiroz

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I wanted BMW 745i rather than 745il! I was searching for one for a long time till I got this one. Very comfortable luxury sedan with sporty handling and plenty of power! Really a cool car even after 8 years! It's charisma did not fade all these years, paint looks new. I have a flawless grey exterior,but wait... what is the color of the interior? blueish gray! Grayish blue!? What color blind person made this interior? I didn't like the interior color at all, since the car was clean, and left with no other choice I've been forced to buy this BMW! Mechanically it is a good vehicle though. I am still puzzled, which guy with right frame of mind would make such an ugly color for a classy car?

comfortable ride, smooth cruising, powerful acceleration, good look!

Head light lens tempt to fade quickly, very expensive spare parts and maintenance, too much technology made the car a complicated affair, rear sun visor breaks after a year (this information I got from all the BMW 745i and 745il owners whom I know) Forget about replacing it, too expensive!