Expensive to OWN
By mwreid22 on
2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)
Do not purchase this car if you don't have A LOT of cash for all of the repairs you will have at high mileage. Window motors $1000 / computer $2800, power steering $3000, timing chain $4000, etc. I could not get rid of the car fast enough. Took a total bath and lost a lot of money! Run run run from this car!
By robryan2509
on 11/12/11 12:23 PM (PST)

I appreciate this review.. i bought one a few months back that cosmetically, was flawless. It has 115k (high for a 7 series). After I took it home, electrical nightmare! Traction control kept showing an error, cam shaft sensor shorted out (cheap but is a sign of other electrical problems), the display screen on dash wasn't clear and it overall lacked acceleration power (way too slow for a car like that). I read this review and I exchanged it out with the dealership the next day for a Ford Flex. Glad I did it. I always hear about the reliability of BMWs but somehow people always seem to forget the constant "little" repairs you have to do on them compared to Japanese or American luxury cars. People in this day in age just want to look "rich" and don't consider the cost of attempting to do so.. Moral of the story... BMWs are over-engineered. Not recommended for those who don't want to spend their weekends at their dealer's service department.