Best 7-series ever
By Erik on
2001 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)
I've owned my 740i sport edition (black/black) for 4 years and put about 40K additional miles. This car is the most stylish 7 ever. Sports edition with 19" rims and slim muscular looks. I've had minor issues with mine (cup holder broke, engine opening cable issue, radiator crack (covered under warranty). Always a nice drive, and acceleration is awesome, particularly from 40 to 80 mph. I've had the car up to 110 mph and it seems to want to live at that speed. Extremely smooth drive. Traction control helps in snow, but forget about this on any substantial ice/snow. The 282 hp is deceiving, torque is calibrated perfectly to compensate. I love my 740i Sport Edition. A classic car some day.
Favorite Features
I'm 6'5" and seat controls include the ability to lower the top part of seat back, but then pull the upper section of top seat forward. I've yet to see another car do that (ex. not in Merc CL). Styling of course w/ sport pkg. knobs to tweak everything. Acceleration from 30 to 70 mph range.
Suggested Improvements
1. Embedded phone/address system works with one BMW-Motorola antiquated phone - can't find anywhere. 2. Cup holder. great for 12 oz can only, forget your coffee mug. 3. You will inevitably get scratches under the door handles which are lift kind - lights highlight. Full bar handles would be better.