Used 2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Simply Amazing
By PartsForImports

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is the first BMW I've ever bought. Before I had all Japanese sports cars that were very nice. When I was shopping around for the 740, I knew that these cars are expensive and known to have issues. Bought mine w/ 100k miles from original owner with all service records. After 2k miles, the alternator failed. Paid $400 for a rebuild one directly from Bosch and fixed it myself. It is true that this car is expensive to maintain but if you work on it yourself (thanks to e38.org writeups), you will save a lot of money. The bottom line is that this car is simply amazing and worth every penny that you spend on it. The feeling you get while driving in this spaceship is unexplainable.

Now I understand why they call it the ultimate driving machine! Fast, comfortable, beautiful, full of soul and character! Timeless look, interior designed with the driver in mind, high quality leather, dash, etc. (not like American cars, when you knock on dash you hear a hollow, plastic sound).

Front cup holders are useless, instrument cluster pixels burn out.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By S. Busby

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL Protection 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is an awesome ride. Its quick and responsive and fun to drive. The stereo system is great to me, I feel like I'm in concert. It has an amphitheater feel. I'm glad it has the hidden cassette player because I still have some classics on cassette. I had to get used to the cd player being in the trunk.The navi system is well 01 so it won't be like the newer cars, but it works unless you go way out then it will just slap a map on the screen for you with no vocal instruction...good luck! All in all my dream car is just that a joy and a dream to drive. Yes BMW can mean Bring Money With you but if you get a trained mechanic you will do fine.

The ride, the stereo and the comfortable seats, and I really enjoy my sunroof at night or early in the morning.It's just a nice ride in spite of the repairs. We've had the car for 2 years and have replaced the front and rear brakes, oil service, water pump,the battery and the rear window w/warranty

You have to remember this car is older and they have addressed their flubs ie the cup holders in front and rear, and I don't know whats up with the glove compartment but sometimes it's difficult to open.The grill trim feels a little loose and the rubber molding around the windshield is cracking.

One of my favorite cars
By Larry

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have the Sport edition 740iL. The car is phenomenal. Unbelievably roomy interior, great styling, and despite its size, it still handles nimbly like a much smaller car. Easy to understand and well-laid out controls. The throttle response is very linear and predictable, and it has an amazingly tight turning radius. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Mine was hit twice in the rear and once in the front (before I bought it), and after being repaired- you couldn't tell. It still handled and drove great. I love this car. I bought an S65 Mercedes to replace it, but I still miss the BMW. The Mercedes is a rocket ship, but it doesn't drive as nimbly and instinctively as the BMW.

Styling, roominess, handling

Easier to use Navigation. Bluetooth and MP3 integration. Better cup holders.

2001 BMW 740i
By MotorStreet

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This car is one of the best cars of all time. It can be smooth and quiet on the highway , but when you put your foot down its 4.4L V8 surges forward with 324lb.ft. of torque and 282hp. The steering is heavy and responsive. The suspension soaks up bumps, but delivers sharp handling when you want it. In 5 years of owning this car the only problem was getting the handsfree phone setup. Our car had an outdated navigation system and the rear cup holders once broke, but there were no other problems. This BMW is in my opinion one of the best cars ever overall. This one of the last real BMW's from before the new bigger Bangle designed BMW. It has a classic look, but appears modern.

Looks, safety, handling, steering, comfort, acceleration, 33mpg on the highway in our experience, and luxury.

As with many European cars it has terrible cup holders and the Navigation system in our car was hard to use and slow.

Exhilarating 740i M sport package
By AdrianA

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Took delivery of a low mileage, (52,300) sport sedan, thanks to all the advise, blogs, concerns and messages from well-wishers who opined if I chose to indulge in the 7 Series cadre, I should pay considerable attention to the 2001, and more particularly the M Sport package. Being used to the size of the two 3er I own (90 & 94), the size is imposing and the MPG disastrous, to say the least. But once I sat in the "cockpit", which was a significant upgrade from the 3er, powered it on, quiet, and provided the ambiance to carry on a conversation at normal levels. I was impressed. The compromise for what it delivers in driving pleasure feels compensates for the not so good gas mileage. A delight

Bi-Xenon headlights, auto-rain sensing wipers, park assist, adjustable sport seats, 18" rims, lowered stance, black shadow-line, 282Hp feels like 400Hp. The Sports package is for the BMW enthusiast with class and decorum on one hand, thrill and control in the other in a well executed driving package

Cup-holders replaced with better quality, OBDII access panel be more sturdy. Other than that, a fine machine.