2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
The Smaller 7 Series
By DonS on 03/05/06 14:25 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Have found that this 740I has all the pleasures as the 740IL has to offer but with less bulk to handle. Have been driving it for over three years and been trouble free with 50M miles plus and the handling the roads in the mountains have been what BMW noted for on curves etc. The gas mileage on long trips avg around 22 to 23 miles per gal. I have found that the 2001 is the last of the old style and possibly most of any problems they have had been cleared up. I have noted that you do not see many resales for 2001 and they have been holding up in value. Would I buy another BMW 7 Series, Yes.. A Good 05 or 06.

7TH HEAVEN
By 7TH HVN on 01/15/06 18:01 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

COMFORTABLE, safe, reliable (thus far!) roomy, untouched by Mr. Bangle, almost quiet,and a bigger trunk than the S, but not the dazzling interior or tech goodies of a A8 (we owned one--it saved me form a 55 mph moron). The 7 is more fun to drive than the A.The Ultimate .... you know.

Think twice
By adc on 12/27/05 09:19 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

You need to remember that you are buying a luxury car and with that comes very expensive repairs / diagnostics. I have the 740i sport and the top of the line tires cost $300/each to replace. The cost to replace a battery is over $300. Synthetic oil changes cost around $200. Prepare to spend a least a few thousand dollars on upkeep of this car and also, be very aware that it's rear- wheel drive. If you live anywhere that is prone to ice/snow, think twice about this car! Fun to drive / nice looking car did not outweigh the costs associated with ownership for me. I seem to be one of the few dissenters on how great these cars are.

One of the Best Cars on the Road
By Mamish on 11/11/05 10:40 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The 740i - sports package 00 or 01 is "the" car to drive. Speed, handling, cornering and road grip is unmatched. No other 4 door car can come close to the 740i - none. Too bad BMW ruined the 7 series and soon all series with that bulky, ugly, bubbly design. Shame on BMW for pulling such a stupid move. If you're looking for a great vehicle; try to find a 00 or 01 740i - sports package; miles 40K to 60K in the $28K range You will love it. Again, 740i not the IL

INCREDIBLE ULTIMATE MACHINE
By 750ISIT on 10/15/05 17:43 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan (5.4L 12cyl 5A)

I must say if you can love a car this is it! This car is very powerful, fun to drive and reliable. Everyone admires the car and it is very luxurious.

Great Touring Sedan
By King Daddi on 09/22/05 11:06 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Although it is a great car in many facets, living in the midwest I should have gotten the Audi A8L w/all-wheel drive. The car is quite, smooth, very roomy and is a road warrior. Up keep is pricey but that should be expected, get an extended warranty or a certified one. This car will fishtail on you in the snow and rain that is why my next car will be an Audi A8 L. Also, a bit boxy compared to the same year, Lexus, Infiniti, Audi and Benz.

Very Good Car
By Bimmer on 06/03/05 13:41 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased new when I traded my '93 740iL. '93 had better interior and build quality but needed engine replaced at 110k. Both cars very comfortable, powerful and attractive. Have had to replace radiator, expansion tank and water pump as well as front end work. Great integrated phone and (older CD type) nav, all voice activated too! Phone/radio controls on steering very handy. Will never buy car without those features again. I find the nav system easy to use but all require some time to learn. Wish CD player was not in trunk. It is quiet at highway speeds and has a huge trunk. So far I have had nearly 80k of great driving. Hope next car will work as well.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By '01AnthGray740iSport on 04/24/05 17:44 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I searched for just the right car - a 2001 740i Sport in Anthracite Metallic Gray with Black leather - stunning. I bought from a BMW dealership and paid to have it certified (smartest thing I've done). I've had the car for 5 months now and it has been to the dealership several times. They had to replace the radiator, the power steering controls, navigation screen, cupholders and now the opera shade in the back. However, I knew I wasn't buying a brand new car, and at 4 years old it is in great shape and now flawless! I will definitely keep this one until I can afford a 05!

Amazing
By Moab on 03/11/05 17:18 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is the finest car I have ever driven. I love the acceleration and handling in addition to the superior comfort of the ride. I can honestly say that I will probably never drive another make other than BMW. I am sold for life on BMW's! the other day, I had a guilty pleasure when I beat a car-full of teenagers in a drag race on the highway. They were amazed!

740il review
By hornbeck1 on 01/06/05 20:29 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL Protection 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I just bought the car about a week ago. The car is awsome. It has features I never knew existed on an automobile. The last car I bought was an Acura Legend. Great car, but the BMW is head and shoulders above my Acura. The fit and finish is a 10. It drives like a sports car, not at all like a big car. It is extremely responsive. It feels like the car has a lot bigger engine than a mere 4.4 L and 282 horsepower. The rear passengers go in style as well -- heated seats, separate heater outlets, ski pass through, on-board navigation, you name it. I'm a happy guy!