Used 2001 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

THE BEST CAR ON THE ROAD
By nycgal2

2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

About 6 years ago my husband bought me the 2001 740i. I have put over 75,000 mile on it in 6 years and when I reached 210,000 miles I decided to give it to my son and go buy a "new" car. Not because I needed to as my "baby" still looks and handles and runs like a brand new car but I do alot of driving and thought a newer car would be more reliable on long trips. Well I looked at all the newer model Bimmers, test drove them, kicked the tires, walked around the outside, sat in the back seat....and guess what? Forget the new car. I bought a 2001 BMW 740iL with 85,000 miles on it! I loved the 740i...I adore the 740iL!

It is luxury to the max. It is roomy, quiet, it has GUTS, it handles like a dream, my favorite part is the way she takes a curve!! I will never buy a new car...I am going to baby this one so I can keep it forever. My only complaint is the flimsy cup holders! Otherwise this car is peerless! You get what you pay for and this car is worth every penny. New this car cost 65,000 and 12 years later it's still worth 10,000 and it still looks brand new inside and out. That speaks volumes about it's quality and workmanship

750iL WOW
By idcraig

2001 BMW 7 Series 750iL Protection 4dr Sedan (5.4L 12cyl 5A)

There is not a finner car on the planet I have owned MB S series (close) BMW 740iL very nice Volvos, Cadillacs, Infinitys and the list goes on my 2001 750iL has it all Fun, comfort, power (WOW) I live in the snow belt and I drive my 750 all year without snow tires. You cant own a better car I swear.

all

you cant

Best in its class
By tadros

2001 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 740i the summer of 2007 with 122K, it now has 170k. Mechanically i have changed a suspension component ($250), brakes($1100) battery($150) and tires($1100) otherwise just oil service. Recently it has began to slowly leak coolant. The reliability has been excellent and it still feels very much like a new vehicle. Preformance is Great but remember it is a large sedan The interior is beyond expectations. Exterior is beautiful with the sport package!!! Overall it is a great vehicle to enjoy for many years. I would never consider trading for anything else of similar value,

Sport Package, Wide screen Navigation,

Truly can't think of anything

Lucky
By Mike

2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Well I have had a lot of great cars, Lexus, Mercedes this is my 5th BMW first 7 series. I had 3 3 series and 1 528 All very nice and great cars in their own right. But by far this is the best car I have ever owned. I never kept a car more than 3 or 4 years. I have now had my 7 for 9 years. 205K and still running strong. Same feel as the day I bought it. I did replace the alternator and the radiator. Also had the trans rebuilt. But with two kids in college and this economy 100K for a new one is a bit on the back burner. I would buy this car again in a heartbeat. My 13 year old son and I were on a trip recently and he said to me Dad this car is great. Well he did grow up in it!

The Drive! All BMW BIG and Powerful and Fun. I can really think of too many larger luxury Cars that you can say that about. I test Drove the Mercedes S series before I purchased this car. Oh heated steering Wheel. I don't think I can buy a new car without that feature. I don't think the 2011 has it!

Like all reviews. Cup holders are no good. Other than that I can't think of anything else. I know folks complain about the price for repairs. But guys the car stickered at 77K in 2001.

Expensive to OWN
By mwreid22

2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Do not purchase this car if you don't have A LOT of cash for all of the repairs you will have at high mileage. Window motors $1000 / computer $2800, power steering $3000, timing chain $4000, etc. I could not get rid of the car fast enough. Took a total bath and lost a lot of money! Run run run from this car!

• SUV