Used 2001 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
Excellent Value
By Alan on 12/15/09 14:07 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Enjoy driving this car. Handling is excellent, get 31 mph on highway, great sound system, excellent power for hwy acceleration and torque for starting. Upgraded the Nav system with the DVD MKIV system and the infamous Radiator problem fixed under the extended warranty. I put 19" BMW OEM wheels with 245x40 and 275x35 Goodyear tires and the handling is much improved.

Great driving car, but...
By Clivaz on 12/09/09 12:37 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car for my wife, knowing about the BMW driving experiences. She upgraded from an Olds 88 to a 740 iL. Needless to say, she loves driving it. We both agree that the engine harmonics are superb, the chassis well designed for its time, and the inside build quality very good. But the cupholders are useless, the doors open so wide that you won't reach the inside handle anymore and heavy to manipulate, and it's not the most reliable car out there. In a few words : the typical German car. Also, don't trust the computer mpg consumption. Way optimistic! Old school calculations returned 25 mpg on highway at best, without cruise control, and 16 urban. Get a late production car w/wide nav.

Best car I have ever had
By Happy 749iL Owner on 11/07/09 19:52 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I had owned a 1998 740iL for 8 years and absolutely loved it. When it became apparent that it would not pass inspection this coming year due to rust I decided to look for a new car. After looking at many new cars, even visiting the Detroit Auto show I decided to buy a 2001 740iL. This car handles so well, it is an absolute dream to drive. It makes all other cars feel awful to drive after driving the 740. The power is amazing as well and gets better fuel millage than most cars its size and many smaller. Simply put it is an amazing buy for luxury power and great looks.

Best 13K I've ever spent
By Scott C on 10/21/09 14:22 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Bought an 01 740i w sports package 100K on the odometer. Put $2K into Trans fluid, Belts, Oil leak all other fluids, new plugs etc... I drive over 150 miles per day in it at 80mph and it still averages 24 mpg! Build quality is unmatched, engine is so quiet at idle I need to look at the tach to see if it's on! These cars are made to last (if you take care of them). Seats look unworn due to the incredible quality of the leather on an 8+ year old car. Oh, and buy the warranty, It'll save you!

Sweet ride that costs to drive
By Greg on 09/03/09 05:40 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this car used with 32000 miles on it in 2004. I now have 69000 miles on it. Fast for a large car and stylish. Lots of interior space!! Had to replace the radiator 3 times. Replaced the ABS module - $$$$$.

Simply Amazing
By PartsForImports on 08/06/09 17:23 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is the first BMW I've ever bought. Before I had all Japanese sports cars that were very nice. When I was shopping around for the 740, I knew that these cars are expensive and known to have issues. Bought mine w/ 100k miles from original owner with all service records. After 2k miles, the alternator failed. Paid $400 for a rebuild one directly from Bosch and fixed it myself. It is true that this car is expensive to maintain but if you work on it yourself (thanks to e38.org writeups), you will save a lot of money. The bottom line is that this car is simply amazing and worth every penny that you spend on it. The feeling you get while driving in this spaceship is unexplainable.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By S. Busby on 08/03/09 19:43 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL Protection 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is an awesome ride. Its quick and responsive and fun to drive. The stereo system is great to me, I feel like I'm in concert. It has an amphitheater feel. I'm glad it has the hidden cassette player because I still have some classics on cassette. I had to get used to the cd player being in the trunk.The navi system is well 01 so it won't be like the newer cars, but it works unless you go way out then it will just slap a map on the screen for you with no vocal instruction...good luck! All in all my dream car is just that a joy and a dream to drive. Yes BMW can mean Bring Money With you but if you get a trained mechanic you will do fine.

One of my favorite cars
By Larry on 06/12/09 23:51 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have the Sport edition 740iL. The car is phenomenal. Unbelievably roomy interior, great styling, and despite its size, it still handles nimbly like a much smaller car. Easy to understand and well-laid out controls. The throttle response is very linear and predictable, and it has an amazingly tight turning radius. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Mine was hit twice in the rear and once in the front (before I bought it), and after being repaired- you couldn't tell. It still handled and drove great. I love this car. I bought an S65 Mercedes to replace it, but I still miss the BMW. The Mercedes is a rocket ship, but it doesn't drive as nimbly and instinctively as the BMW.

2001 BMW 740i
By MotorStreet on 03/08/09 19:06 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This car is one of the best cars of all time. It can be smooth and quiet on the highway , but when you put your foot down its 4.4L V8 surges forward with 324lb.ft. of torque and 282hp. The steering is heavy and responsive. The suspension soaks up bumps, but delivers sharp handling when you want it. In 5 years of owning this car the only problem was getting the handsfree phone setup. Our car had an outdated navigation system and the rear cup holders once broke, but there were no other problems. This BMW is in my opinion one of the best cars ever overall. This one of the last real BMW's from before the new bigger Bangle designed BMW. It has a classic look, but appears modern.

Exhilarating 740i M sport package
By AdrianA on 11/29/08 21:35 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Took delivery of a low mileage, (52,300) sport sedan, thanks to all the advise, blogs, concerns and messages from well-wishers who opined if I chose to indulge in the 7 Series cadre, I should pay considerable attention to the 2001, and more particularly the M Sport package. Being used to the size of the two 3er I own (90 & 94), the size is imposing and the MPG disastrous, to say the least. But once I sat in the "cockpit", which was a significant upgrade from the 3er, powered it on, quiet, and provided the ambiance to carry on a conversation at normal levels. I was impressed. The compromise for what it delivers in driving pleasure feels compensates for the not so good gas mileage. A delight