Used 2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Love it/Hate it
By dfish3

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

After months of searching for the right 740, I have come to the conclusion that no matter the mileage you need to be prepared for service costs. It takes 2-3 years to understand that the 38 series is "bought on emotion, sold out of frustration". Absolutely one of the best looking sedans ever made and if you are ready for the reality of costs, you will love it.

Favorite Features

Looks and driving experience. Great car for under $10k.

Suggested Improvements

Remember the car is 14 years old and ridiculously expensive to repair unless you have a good non-dealer, but BMW qualified service center. Then it is only expensive to repair. Would I buy one? Yes, but not as my primary car.

This Used to be my Dream Car, but has become a Nightmare...
By rhs408

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I see a lot of great reviews about this car, and not surprisingly, most of them were written within 5 years or so of the car being born - the others must just be those really lucky ones (laugh). I bought this car in 2008 with 120k miles on it, it now has 210k. In that time, I've spent roughly $15000 on the various repairs and upkeep of the car. I'm not a wealthy man, and in short, this car has ruined me financially. I'm going to be selling it soon for a Camry or Avalon - I just want something reliable, first and foremost, after having the unfortunate experience of dealing with the expensive repairs needed to keep this beautiful car running.

Favorite Features

Love the engine, the interior/exterior, drives great...

Suggested Improvements

...The car came with a 90 day everything covered warranty - I thought that would take care of any big $$$ bills that came about. What a fool I was. Repairs done during my 5 years of ownership include transmission replacement ($3200, got a real good deal on this believe it or not), timing chain (another $3000), power steering hoses, fuel pump, oil leakS, various belts, ignition coils ($180 a pop, have replaced 6 of them), my back two windows don't work because they cost $450 each to replace -was forced to pay the $$$ replace the one on the driver side door. Don't get this car unless you are in very good financial shape to handle the upkeep - they have come down very far in price for a reason!

THE BEST CAR ON THE ROAD
By nycgal2

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

About 6 years ago my husband bought me the 2001 740i. I have put over 75,000 mile on it in 6 years and when I reached 210,000 miles I decided to give it to my son and go buy a "new" car. Not because I needed to as my "baby" still looks and handles and runs like a brand new car but I do alot of driving and thought a newer car would be more reliable on long trips. Well I looked at all the newer model Bimmers, test drove them, kicked the tires, walked around the outside, sat in the back seat....and guess what? Forget the new car. I bought a 2001 BMW 740iL with 85,000 miles on it! I loved the 740i...I adore the 740iL!

Favorite Features

It is luxury to the max. It is roomy, quiet, it has GUTS, it handles like a dream, my favorite part is the way she takes a curve!! I will never buy a new car...I am going to baby this one so I can keep it forever. My only complaint is the flimsy cup holders! Otherwise this car is peerless! You get what you pay for and this car is worth every penny. New this car cost 65,000 and 12 years later it's still worth 10,000 and it still looks brand new inside and out. That speaks volumes about it's quality and workmanship

Lucky
By Mike

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Well I have had a lot of great cars, Lexus, Mercedes this is my 5th BMW first 7 series. I had 3 3 series and 1 528 All very nice and great cars in their own right. But by far this is the best car I have ever owned. I never kept a car more than 3 or 4 years. I have now had my 7 for 9 years. 205K and still running strong. Same feel as the day I bought it. I did replace the alternator and the radiator. Also had the trans rebuilt. But with two kids in college and this economy 100K for a new one is a bit on the back burner. I would buy this car again in a heartbeat. My 13 year old son and I were on a trip recently and he said to me Dad this car is great. Well he did grow up in it!

Favorite Features

The Drive! All BMW BIG and Powerful and Fun. I can really think of too many larger luxury Cars that you can say that about. I test Drove the Mercedes S series before I purchased this car. Oh heated steering Wheel. I don't think I can buy a new car without that feature. I don't think the 2011 has it!

Suggested Improvements

Like all reviews. Cup holders are no good. Other than that I can't think of anything else. I know folks complain about the price for repairs. But guys the car stickered at 77K in 2001.

Expensive to OWN
By mwreid22

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Do not purchase this car if you don't have A LOT of cash for all of the repairs you will have at high mileage. Window motors $1000 / computer $2800, power steering $3000, timing chain $4000, etc. I could not get rid of the car fast enough. Took a total bath and lost a lot of money! Run run run from this car!