2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
This Used to be my Dream Car, but has become a Nightmare...
By rhs408 on 12/23/13 02:21 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I see a lot of great reviews about this car, and not surprisingly, most of them were written within 5 years or so of the car being born - the others must just be those really lucky ones (laugh). I bought this car in 2008 with 120k miles on it, it now has 210k. In that time, I've spent roughly $15000 on the various repairs and upkeep of the car. I'm not a wealthy man, and in short, this car has ruined me financially. I'm going to be selling it soon for a Camry or Avalon - I just want something reliable, first and foremost, after having the unfortunate experience of dealing with the expensive repairs needed to keep this beautiful car running.

THE BEST CAR ON THE ROAD
By nycgal2 on 03/19/13 19:20 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

About 6 years ago my husband bought me the 2001 740i. I have put over 75,000 mile on it in 6 years and when I reached 210,000 miles I decided to give it to my son and go buy a "new" car. Not because I needed to as my "baby" still looks and handles and runs like a brand new car but I do alot of driving and thought a newer car would be more reliable on long trips. Well I looked at all the newer model Bimmers, test drove them, kicked the tires, walked around the outside, sat in the back seat....and guess what? Forget the new car. I bought a 2001 BMW 740iL with 85,000 miles on it! I loved the 740i...I adore the 740iL!

Lucky
By Mike on 08/02/10 19:40 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Well I have had a lot of great cars, Lexus, Mercedes this is my 5th BMW first 7 series. I had 3 3 series and 1 528 All very nice and great cars in their own right. But by far this is the best car I have ever owned. I never kept a car more than 3 or 4 years. I have now had my 7 for 9 years. 205K and still running strong. Same feel as the day I bought it. I did replace the alternator and the radiator. Also had the trans rebuilt. But with two kids in college and this economy 100K for a new one is a bit on the back burner. I would buy this car again in a heartbeat. My 13 year old son and I were on a trip recently and he said to me Dad this car is great. Well he did grow up in it!

Expensive to OWN
By mwreid22 on 07/31/10 19:46 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Do not purchase this car if you don't have A LOT of cash for all of the repairs you will have at high mileage. Window motors $1000 / computer $2800, power steering $3000, timing chain $4000, etc. I could not get rid of the car fast enough. Took a total bath and lost a lot of money! Run run run from this car!

Excellent Value
By Alan on 12/15/09 14:07 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Enjoy driving this car. Handling is excellent, get 31 mph on highway, great sound system, excellent power for hwy acceleration and torque for starting. Upgraded the Nav system with the DVD MKIV system and the infamous Radiator problem fixed under the extended warranty. I put 19" BMW OEM wheels with 245x40 and 275x35 Goodyear tires and the handling is much improved.

Great driving car, but...
By Clivaz on 12/09/09 12:37 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car for my wife, knowing about the BMW driving experiences. She upgraded from an Olds 88 to a 740 iL. Needless to say, she loves driving it. We both agree that the engine harmonics are superb, the chassis well designed for its time, and the inside build quality very good. But the cupholders are useless, the doors open so wide that you won't reach the inside handle anymore and heavy to manipulate, and it's not the most reliable car out there. In a few words : the typical German car. Also, don't trust the computer mpg consumption. Way optimistic! Old school calculations returned 25 mpg on highway at best, without cruise control, and 16 urban. Get a late production car w/wide nav.

Best car I have ever had
By Happy 749iL Owner on 11/07/09 19:52 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I had owned a 1998 740iL for 8 years and absolutely loved it. When it became apparent that it would not pass inspection this coming year due to rust I decided to look for a new car. After looking at many new cars, even visiting the Detroit Auto show I decided to buy a 2001 740iL. This car handles so well, it is an absolute dream to drive. It makes all other cars feel awful to drive after driving the 740. The power is amazing as well and gets better fuel millage than most cars its size and many smaller. Simply put it is an amazing buy for luxury power and great looks.

Sweet ride that costs to drive
By Greg on 09/03/09 05:40 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this car used with 32000 miles on it in 2004. I now have 69000 miles on it. Fast for a large car and stylish. Lots of interior space!! Had to replace the radiator 3 times. Replaced the ABS module - $$$$$.

Simply Amazing
By PartsForImports on 08/06/09 17:23 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is the first BMW I've ever bought. Before I had all Japanese sports cars that were very nice. When I was shopping around for the 740, I knew that these cars are expensive and known to have issues. Bought mine w/ 100k miles from original owner with all service records. After 2k miles, the alternator failed. Paid $400 for a rebuild one directly from Bosch and fixed it myself. It is true that this car is expensive to maintain but if you work on it yourself (thanks to e38.org writeups), you will save a lot of money. The bottom line is that this car is simply amazing and worth every penny that you spend on it. The feeling you get while driving in this spaceship is unexplainable.

One of my favorite cars
By Larry on 06/12/09 23:51 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have the Sport edition 740iL. The car is phenomenal. Unbelievably roomy interior, great styling, and despite its size, it still handles nimbly like a much smaller car. Easy to understand and well-laid out controls. The throttle response is very linear and predictable, and it has an amazingly tight turning radius. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Mine was hit twice in the rear and once in the front (before I bought it), and after being repaired- you couldn't tell. It still handled and drove great. I love this car. I bought an S65 Mercedes to replace it, but I still miss the BMW. The Mercedes is a rocket ship, but it doesn't drive as nimbly and instinctively as the BMW.