2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
This Used to be my Dream Car, but has become a Nightmare...
By rhs408 on 12/23/13 02:21 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I see a lot of great reviews about this car, and not surprisingly, most of them were written within 5 years or so of the car being born - the others must just be those really lucky ones (laugh). I bought this car in 2008 with 120k miles on it, it now has 210k. In that time, I've spent roughly $15000 on the various repairs and upkeep of the car. I'm not a wealthy man, and in short, this car has ruined me financially. I'm going to be selling it soon for a Camry or Avalon - I just want something reliable, first and foremost, after having the unfortunate experience of dealing with the expensive repairs needed to keep this beautiful car running.

Absolutely Fabulous!
By thecarguy112 on 06/12/13 12:12 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Just bought a used one with 110,000K on it a week ago, and LOVE it. The power is surprising for 282HP, but 325LB FT of torque is sweet. I don't have the contour seats, but the basic seats are great. This car handles great for its size. I have a rare Slate Green 740i with Oyster Nappa leather, and english green dashboard and carpet. It truly is a joy to own. There are a couple little problems but cheap to fix. GREAT car.

Best bargin on the road!!
By edh8 on 03/21/13 11:24 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is one amazing car!! for what you can pick up a nice clean 01 740i for today everyone should try it out. The motor is bulletproof the trans is the weak link, however rebuilt it and the car will run to 200-300k easily. Getting there might not be cheap, radiators, water pumps, expansion tank, suspension parts will break down and random sensors and gaskets will leak. Despite all that this car is tight as a Drum at 125k miles, handling is amazing for a car this size. I installed some 18 M- Parallel staggered wheels. The power delivery is fast and linear, only 282hp but feels faster than my friends 550i. Car is a beast, a tank call it what you will, no body roll on highway!! Buy one

THE BEST CAR ON THE ROAD
By nycgal2 on 03/19/13 19:20 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

About 6 years ago my husband bought me the 2001 740i. I have put over 75,000 mile on it in 6 years and when I reached 210,000 miles I decided to give it to my son and go buy a "new" car. Not because I needed to as my "baby" still looks and handles and runs like a brand new car but I do alot of driving and thought a newer car would be more reliable on long trips. Well I looked at all the newer model Bimmers, test drove them, kicked the tires, walked around the outside, sat in the back seat....and guess what? Forget the new car. I bought a 2001 BMW 740iL with 85,000 miles on it! I loved the 740i...I adore the 740iL!

750iL WOW
By idcraig on 05/15/12 18:11 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL Protection 4dr Sedan (5.4L 12cyl 5A)

There is not a finner car on the planet I have owned MB S series (close) BMW 740iL very nice Volvos, Cadillacs, Infinitys and the list goes on my 2001 750iL has it all Fun, comfort, power (WOW) I live in the snow belt and I drive my 750 all year without snow tires. You cant own a better car I swear.

Best in its class
By tadros on 06/07/11 06:29 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 740i the summer of 2007 with 122K, it now has 170k. Mechanically i have changed a suspension component ($250), brakes($1100) battery($150) and tires($1100) otherwise just oil service. Recently it has began to slowly leak coolant. The reliability has been excellent and it still feels very much like a new vehicle. Preformance is Great but remember it is a large sedan The interior is beyond expectations. Exterior is beautiful with the sport package!!! Overall it is a great vehicle to enjoy for many years. I would never consider trading for anything else of similar value,

Lucky
By Mike on 08/02/10 19:40 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Well I have had a lot of great cars, Lexus, Mercedes this is my 5th BMW first 7 series. I had 3 3 series and 1 528 All very nice and great cars in their own right. But by far this is the best car I have ever owned. I never kept a car more than 3 or 4 years. I have now had my 7 for 9 years. 205K and still running strong. Same feel as the day I bought it. I did replace the alternator and the radiator. Also had the trans rebuilt. But with two kids in college and this economy 100K for a new one is a bit on the back burner. I would buy this car again in a heartbeat. My 13 year old son and I were on a trip recently and he said to me Dad this car is great. Well he did grow up in it!

Expensive to OWN
By mwreid22 on 07/31/10 19:46 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Do not purchase this car if you don't have A LOT of cash for all of the repairs you will have at high mileage. Window motors $1000 / computer $2800, power steering $3000, timing chain $4000, etc. I could not get rid of the car fast enough. Took a total bath and lost a lot of money! Run run run from this car!

Excellent Value
By Alan on 12/15/09 14:07 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Enjoy driving this car. Handling is excellent, get 31 mph on highway, great sound system, excellent power for hwy acceleration and torque for starting. Upgraded the Nav system with the DVD MKIV system and the infamous Radiator problem fixed under the extended warranty. I put 19" BMW OEM wheels with 245x40 and 275x35 Goodyear tires and the handling is much improved.

Great driving car, but...
By Clivaz on 12/09/09 12:37 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car for my wife, knowing about the BMW driving experiences. She upgraded from an Olds 88 to a 740 iL. Needless to say, she loves driving it. We both agree that the engine harmonics are superb, the chassis well designed for its time, and the inside build quality very good. But the cupholders are useless, the doors open so wide that you won't reach the inside handle anymore and heavy to manipulate, and it's not the most reliable car out there. In a few words : the typical German car. Also, don't trust the computer mpg consumption. Way optimistic! Old school calculations returned 25 mpg on highway at best, without cruise control, and 16 urban. Get a late production car w/wide nav.