Used 2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

BMW Flagship Car, a luxury ICON worth owning!
By J. Peters

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This fabulous motorcar is the most comfortable luxury vehicle that I have ever owned. Although it takes -- and deserves -- premium gasoline, my 2001 BMW 740iL is surprisingly gas-efficient! If well-maintained, annual maintenance costs are less than what would be paid for annual lease payments on a Toyota. My BMW dealer recently allowed me to use a 2016 "loaner" while servicing my 2001 740iL but getting back into my 2001 felt like returning to heaven as it remains superior to any 2016 BMW model.

2001 BMW 740iL
By Captain JC

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned this car since new. A few repairs...service air conditioning, replace drivers seat trim containing seat controls...plastic-broken. One new set of Michelin tires. The car is a wonderful driver. I own several other BMWs, every time I drive this one, I keep saying to myself, what a great car this is. Very comfortable, good performance, great fuel economy for a car this size, lots of trunk space, enormous back seat and leg room. I look at the new ones, but a little hard to justify $125,000.00 to purchase a 2016 7-Series, to replace what I have in a car that I just love to drive. I also own a new 2016 BMW X5, lots of nice new technology, but the 740 runs just fine without all the pizzazz.

It Is the Best BMW Ever
By RHBMW

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Great car. Buy one if you get the chance. Just lost mine to an accident.

CAR OF MY DREAMS, that can also keep me awake at night
By dagmare38

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL Protection 4dr Sedan (5.4L 12cyl 5A)

Great car. LOOKS to kill, handling to kill. The growl of the v12 coming to life on a 0 degree winter east coast morning is toxic....I love the car. I have had my 750 since August of 2014...Gas mileage is not bad and is actually better than my previous SL500 Mercedes! The stance of the car makes you stare at it, especially with the fatter wheel in the rear. Plenty of room. Everyone loves if I am driving and always wants to ride in the back.... Love the double paned glass with protection package

Heated Steering wheel and the heated seats these winter morning are GREAT. The engine is just sublime. Handles as good as my old sl500 and I know you think I am crazy, yes it will belly its weight but you have to really be pushing this car to show signs of stress...Otherwise it is two steps ahead of you!

Radiator was replaced in August of 2014, and again January 2015. Heating and cooling system is by far my least liked feature. BMW really cut corners in this area.....Road noise can be a bit much!!! from the 18 inch wheels

Love it/Hate it
By dfish3

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

After months of searching for the right 740, I have come to the conclusion that no matter the mileage you need to be prepared for service costs. It takes 2-3 years to understand that the 38 series is "bought on emotion, sold out of frustration". Absolutely one of the best looking sedans ever made and if you are ready for the reality of costs, you will love it.

Looks and driving experience. Great car for under $10k.

Remember the car is 14 years old and ridiculously expensive to repair unless you have a good non-dealer, but BMW qualified service center. Then it is only expensive to repair. Would I buy one? Yes, but not as my primary car.