Used 2001 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

CAR OF MY DREAMS, that can also keep me awake at night
By dagmare38

2001 BMW 7 Series 750iL Protection 4dr Sedan (5.4L 12cyl 5A)

Great car. LOOKS to kill, handling to kill. The growl of the v12 coming to life on a 0 degree winter east coast morning is toxic....I love the car. I have had my 750 since August of 2014...Gas mileage is not bad and is actually better than my previous SL500 Mercedes! The stance of the car makes you stare at it, especially with the fatter wheel in the rear. Plenty of room. Everyone loves if I am driving and always wants to ride in the back.... Love the double paned glass with protection package

Heated Steering wheel and the heated seats these winter morning are GREAT. The engine is just sublime. Handles as good as my old sl500 and I know you think I am crazy, yes it will belly its weight but you have to really be pushing this car to show signs of stress...Otherwise it is two steps ahead of you!

Radiator was replaced in August of 2014, and again January 2015. Heating and cooling system is by far my least liked feature. BMW really cut corners in this area.....Road noise can be a bit much!!! from the 18 inch wheels

Love it/Hate it
By dfish3

2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

After months of searching for the right 740, I have come to the conclusion that no matter the mileage you need to be prepared for service costs. It takes 2-3 years to understand that the 38 series is "bought on emotion, sold out of frustration". Absolutely one of the best looking sedans ever made and if you are ready for the reality of costs, you will love it.

Looks and driving experience. Great car for under $10k.

Remember the car is 14 years old and ridiculously expensive to repair unless you have a good non-dealer, but BMW qualified service center. Then it is only expensive to repair. Would I buy one? Yes, but not as my primary car.

This Used to be my Dream Car, but has become a Nightmare...
By rhs408

2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I see a lot of great reviews about this car, and not surprisingly, most of them were written within 5 years or so of the car being born - the others must just be those really lucky ones (laugh). I bought this car in 2008 with 120k miles on it, it now has 210k. In that time, I've spent roughly $15000 on the various repairs and upkeep of the car. I'm not a wealthy man, and in short, this car has ruined me financially. I'm going to be selling it soon for a Camry or Avalon - I just want something reliable, first and foremost, after having the unfortunate experience of dealing with the expensive repairs needed to keep this beautiful car running.

Love the engine, the interior/exterior, drives great...

...The car came with a 90 day everything covered warranty - I thought that would take care of any big $$$ bills that came about. What a fool I was. Repairs done during my 5 years of ownership include transmission replacement ($3200, got a real good deal on this believe it or not), timing chain (another $3000), power steering hoses, fuel pump, oil leakS, various belts, ignition coils ($180 a pop, have replaced 6 of them), my back two windows don't work because they cost $450 each to replace -was forced to pay the $$$ replace the one on the driver side door. Don't get this car unless you are in very good financial shape to handle the upkeep - they have come down very far in price for a reason!

Absolutely Fabulous!
By thecarguy112

2001 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Just bought a used one with 110,000K on it a week ago, and LOVE it. The power is surprising for 282HP, but 325LB FT of torque is sweet. I don't have the contour seats, but the basic seats are great. This car handles great for its size. I have a rare Slate Green 740i with Oyster Nappa leather, and english green dashboard and carpet. It truly is a joy to own. There are a couple little problems but cheap to fix. GREAT car.

Style, Comfort, Ride Quality is superb, Almost no road noise, Heated front and rear seats, Dual fan controls for front passengers.

Basically nothing.

Best bargin on the road!!
By edh8

2001 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is one amazing car!! for what you can pick up a nice clean 01 740i for today everyone should try it out. The motor is bulletproof the trans is the weak link, however rebuilt it and the car will run to 200-300k easily. Getting there might not be cheap, radiators, water pumps, expansion tank, suspension parts will break down and random sensors and gaskets will leak. Despite all that this car is tight as a Drum at 125k miles, handling is amazing for a car this size. I installed some 18 M- Parallel staggered wheels. The power delivery is fast and linear, only 282hp but feels faster than my friends 550i. Car is a beast, a tank call it what you will, no body roll on highway!! Buy one

Power, handling, comfort, seats, awesome stereo, still looks like a Boss rolling on M-Paralles! Where else can you get all this refinement and driving pleasure for $6k, I had Audis, Lexus(GS and LS400) Cobras, corvettes, Z28s. This car is a 4 door Cobra, my 01 had 320hp but this car with 282hp feels faster and handles just as good with way more comfort and room for 5! only if it has a manual trans it would be perfect!!! everyone cries about parts $$, don't take it to a dealer. There are many vendors on line that sell parts that are no more expensive than a part for a Camry. Find a good indy mechanic and you can enjoy this car for a long time for little money. Easy to work for DIYers!

Manual trans! easier HVAC controls