Great car for those who appreciate the dynamics, general drivers may want to steer clear.
By mike_petersen on
2000 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan
This is my 5th BMW, and also my favorite. Iíve owned several 3 series and 5 series. All great cars but the 7 series of this E38 generation is truly special. The powertrain is strong by the standard of the í00, for 99% of your driving the power is more than adequate. The lines are classic, I still think the best of all BMW and the car continues to turn heads like no other. Clean, taught, uncluttered, and purposeful. The true sport package on the 740i is tighter than most would like, would recommend the non-sport for most people. If you are not mechanically included, or do not have a mechanic you trust and dependent on the BMW dealership, you may want to step with caution.
Favorite Features
Comfort is great, seating position is about as good as it gets. Driving dynamics are wonderfully classic BMW. Car has been free of major issues and after 4 years months of ownership, lower repairs than average ($200-400/yr) but some of this is DIY. It is easy to maintain if you have technical skills, online sites like E38.org are well organized and helpful.
Suggested Improvements
The latent load on the battery is high, if you donít drive everyday suggest you plug into a battery tender. I think the stereo is good, but not great nor as pure as I would have hoped.