2000 BMW 7 Series Consumer Review: Fun car to drive but it is no

2000 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Review

740iL Sedan (4.4L V8 5-speed Automatic)

Fun car to drive but it is no Lexus
By jh on

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

The BMW 740 is with out a doubt the best driving large sedan on the market. However, it suffers from serious flaws that one would not expect from a car that costs in excess ot $65,000. The on board computer dispay failed (the dealer said pixel burnout was common at about 3 years). I have a broken the cupholder and numerous climate control knobs fail. One door panel has had problems staying on as does the side panel. It seems to cost me 2-4 thousand dollars every time I see my dealer. I have probably had $5000 worth of suspension work done over the last 18 months. My previous car was a Mercedes S420 at about the same age had very few problems. Quite frankly the BMW has been a terrible car.

General road manners and a terrific sounding stereo.

General build quality is poor. Poorly designed cupholders. Electronics are fragile and buttons and kobs just seem to quit working. Replacement parts are unbelievably expensive. Some people might not like the 13-14 mpg they will get in my normal day to day driving.