2000 BMW 7 Series 740i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Exceeded Expectations
By bmw_bill

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

I always loved the E38 Seven Series. When the Sport Package came out I was even more impressed. I never thought I would own one. A deal came up this past winter and now my dream is reality. The car is awesome. Performance is stellar, the ownership experience is beyond expectation. What's amazing is that while the car is five years old, it demands the respect of a brand new premium car. I intend on keeping it for a very long time or until BMW gives me a compelling reason to upgrade and the new Seven, even with the improvements to the new design, won't do the trick. I'll keep my "used" car.

Favorite Features

M Styling and Sport Package options. Three spoke sport steering wheel and seats make the package not to mention the wheels. Just put a Sport Package next to a non sport and you will immmediately see the difference.

Suggested Improvements

None for this vehicle. BMW made their intent known when they created their new Seven. When they stick the shifter back where it belongs and get with the design then I'll look at new ones.

2000 740i Sport
By Blue Chip

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

The car is new to me - but has exceeded my expectations in every way, peroformance, ride, and handling are outstanding. The Sport Pkg stiffens the ride and the seats are fairly restraining - much more so than the non sport pkg - but that's why I bought it. Classic lines and enough room for 5 people. Nice exaust note as well. I shopped the Audi A8, Mercedes E500, Lexus, and Infinity - each time, I came up with more value and more car for the money with the BMW. Would only buy this car though with the Sport Package (Steptronic). Much more fun to drive!

Favorite Features

Exterior, 18" M style parallel wheels, handling, seats, engine.

Suggested Improvements

Can't complain about 16.5 mpg around town with an 8 cylinder - but like so many others, I agree...the cup holders are worthless!

Luxury Rocket
By Gonzo12

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

One awesome car. Excellent sporty German ride quality. Powerful V8 engine. Feels incredibly solid.

Favorite Features

Engine, build quality, and looks

Suggested Improvements

None noted.

The Ultimate Texas Driving Machine
By raiderwes

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This is an awesome road car. I've driven it about 5,000 miles on 6 trips in 4 months and am very pleased. This was a BMW certified unit. So far, no problems, but the Service Engine Soon light comes on intermittently; service center says it is likely something on the emissions systems.

Favorite Features

14 way power seats on the Sport model. Power to spare.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system is clumsy; cup holders could certainly be improved; gas mileage is not as good as on my previous 740 (attribute to the Sport package with the step-tronic tranny and a slower rear end ratio).

740i - Performance with Elegance
By rq

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

As a prior owner of Infiniti and Lexus, this car is definitely not Japanese. Like Q45 it's performance oriented and does it in a style. Like Lexus it's luxurious yet rugged. Even though it's interior is not as a sophisticated as a Jaguar, it's still very uptown. It's the Drivers Car. On a twisting road it lets you know it's a BMW.

Favorite Features

Performance - Performance - Perfomance

Suggested Improvements

Can we get another cup holder please?

Fun driving big sedan
By fmnoutcast

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This is my first BMW and so far in over a year it's been fairly reliable - the only problem was a battery that failed about 2 months ago. I expected a competent sedan - but realize every day that this is a performance sedan first, that also happens to be quite luxurious. I can't imagine having more fun driving four of my full sized friends in exceptional comfort...

Favorite Features

Powerful, stable driving, without giving up comfort

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders - but the aftermarket has provided some good alternatives

740i SPORT Has it ALL
By jason_740iSport

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

After careful, detailed research for a high performance car that is safe and big enough for my family and 3 additional adult passengers - I decided on the 740i SPORT. The SPORT is the key to add the performance and fun to a great automobile. This car is better than I had hoped it would be. Extremely fun to drive (auto or manual), handles great, and extremely comfortable for long trips.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling, fun, safety, passenger space, exterior and interior design (with the "M" additions).

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders require extremely short beverages. Gas mileage is not good, but we are talking about a V8.

Luxury Luxury Luxury
By Shorty

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This car is absolutely fun to drive. It handles extremely well. We had looked at the Lexus and Mercedes. The Lexus was more of a softer ride and the Mercedes was in the same ball park with the Beemer, but the cost was extremely more. Even if the Mercedes was priced around the same, we would have still went with the Beemer.

Favorite Features

Look, features, quality

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder placement