Used 2000 BMW 7 Series 740i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Ultimate Texas Driving Machine update 2

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

I still have the car at 97,000 miles. Replaced air mass meter, PCV valve and head gaskets at 93k mi ($$$). Replaced Kumho Ecsta tires at exactly 30k mi with Michelin Pilot Sport+ ($$).

Favorite Features

The power and handling. Sport/comfort seats may have to be transplanted to the next car! Still a pretty good style.

Suggested Improvements

Front cup holders are a joke.

Update #2 Ultimate Texas Driving Machine

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Car now has 95k miles. At 85k mi nav unit in trunk failed; replaced with used unit/upgrade ($250). At 93k car developed minor leak - valve cover gasket. Put new Mich Pilot Sport + after 30K on the Kumhos. At 94k air mass meter failed along with PCV valve; fixed valve cover gasket at same time totaling $1400. Car averages 15k mi between oil changes, though I will start doing it substantially more often now. Still the most fun car I've ever owned and can't get excited about anything else out there. Overall, I have not had that much trouble with the car. I don't see much in the way of keeping it another 25-30k miles; after that, we'll see.

Favorite Features

The power, the ride, the handling. Comfort sport seats are better than any other car I've driven. 23 mpg highway; 15 city

Suggested Improvements

Nav system totally outdated now and too expensive to maintain or upgrade. This car has the sport package, so tire wear is a downer. New Michelins are supposed to be good for 50k; we'll see.

Ryan's 2000 740i
By Rolands Ride

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

So I bought my 740i back in March of this year. this is my 2nd BMW and I am going to say I am very impressed with the vehicle. Has a beast of a engine, for a 2 ton car it will beat the crap out of a stock Camaro SS. The outside design is classic BMW which is why I bought this car instead of one of the newer 7 Series cars. The interior all be it a bit bland is very comfortable and ergonomic. No scientist needed to figure out the Nav or how to run the A/C. Car gets moderate mileage per gallon, about 18 around town and 24 on the highway. Not bad for a v8 that is a hoss. As expected for a BMW off of warranty, you will not want to get repairs done at the dealership, find a good tech.

Favorite Features

Outside looks, powerful V8, classy car, that runs like its on roids.

Suggested Improvements

Interior needs some spicing up, repairs can be costly at the dealership so find a good parts store online and a good independent mechanic.

740i Sport
By beemerb

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This has been an excellent vehicle to own! I wouldn't have it any other way, and I'm probably hooked on BMW for life! I plan on keeping my 740i sport for a long time, while I add new vehicles to my arsenal. I have had some problems with it however, the radiator did crack and cost me 1500 to get a new one. This was the only downfall it had, and I missed my car the whole time it was getting fixed. I hate the cupholders, but in every relationship there is one quality we don't like about out spouse, but loving those faults is what makes love in a relationship.

Favorite Features

Performance, no question.

Suggested Improvements

I hate the cupholders, put in some new ones, that actually function.

Ultimate Texas Driving Machine - update

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

I've now had the car for 30K miles and nearly 3 years. I still love it. I bought the car as a certified used unit & during the BMW extended warranty, I've had a new radiator and water pump as well as two oil leaks. Each time the dealer has promptly repaired the car for a $50 co-pay. New brake pads were my cost ($$$). I replaced the OEM Contintal Contitracs with Kumho Ecsta's and am very pleased with the improved mileage & I can't tell any significant difference in handling, but the car is much quieter. I hope to drive this car another 60K miles. The extended warranty expires within a month or so and I may hedge my bets by buying another warranty, based on my experience with the 1993 740

Favorite Features

The ride and handling, as well as the power and style.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the Continental tires asap. Noisy and poor wear. Center console storage is not very useful.