2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
Great car for those who appreciate the dynamics, general drivers may want to steer clear.
By mike_petersen on 07/26/12 14:01 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This is my 5th BMW, and also my favorite. Iíve owned several 3 series and 5 series. All great cars but the 7 series of this E38 generation is truly special. The powertrain is strong by the standard of the í00, for 99% of your driving the power is more than adequate. The lines are classic, I still think the best of all BMW and the car continues to turn heads like no other. Clean, taught, uncluttered, and purposeful. The true sport package on the 740i is tighter than most would like, would recommend the non-sport for most people. If you are not mechanically included, or do not have a mechanic you trust and dependent on the BMW dealership, you may want to step with caution.

awesome car just not after 150k miles
By bmw37 on 04/17/12 19:51 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This car is awesome no other way of saying it. it is better than any 7 series for sale today. the styling is classic. the interior is perfect and doesnt have any bmw i drive nonsense just a good sized navigation system that matches perfectly in the center, the driving feel is awesome too. the leather quality is excellent and the rear seat leg room is something the be seen. the engine may be short of 300 hp but you wouldnt be able to know once you floor it. the engine is perfect, the transmission is one of the smoothest out there. the car may be long and heavy but bmw has managed to make it feel only slightly short of an M3's handling capabilites. this car is a joy to drive.

Ricks 2000 bmw 740i sport
By Ricks 740i sport on 03/08/10 11:47 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

i have owned more than 10 cars and for some reason they all get played out and sold. i got offered a reasonable price but could not sell it. i owned it for 5 years now. performance love it, still looks better then the 745il models. drives fast with out realizing (bad in some cases). maintenance is not bad at you local mechanic (water pump & fan with belts tune up and other few thing ran about 1200, same price as my 2001 Honda prelude) and no time seeing my self getting rid of it.

Say Hello to Deferred Maintenance!
By Bobby M on 08/12/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Bought the car almost three years ago. My first Bimmer will likely be my last. As much as I love driving the car, it is waaaaay too costly to fix. The plastic (!!) tank on the radiator split 5 days after I purchased the car. I've had to replace the water pump, thermostat, and power steering pump. Right now I could drop $8k on the car just to fix the many problems that I live with, including: - ABS computer dead (no traction control), - Thrust bearings in front suspension, - Tranny needs to be replaced (but car still drives, - engine failsafe program kicks in about once a month). Now my car won't pass a smog check because the check engine light STAYS ON.

Ultimate Texas Driving Machine Update #2
By raiderwes on 07/05/09 13:24 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Rolled over 100,000 7/09. Just put new front brake pads/rotors ($650) & rear pads ($253), air mass meter ($1000), PCV valve ($500) & drive belts ($211). Car still runs well and drives great. There has been one other front end issue described as "rubber mounting" for $566. Gas mileage is about 24 hwy, 14 city. 16,000 mi between oil changes. Valve cover gaskets leaking on each side and hoses need replacing ($1000) and it has a leak at the timing chain cover ($$$). Replaced Kumhos after 30k mi with Micheline Pilot Sport+ ($$). Overall, however, a good experience. At this age, car will not depreciate very fast. There is a noise, however in the front end, that has gone undiagnosed by 3 dealers.

Ultimate Texas Driving Machine update 2
By raiderwes on 03/04/09 20:08 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

I still have the car at 97,000 miles. Replaced air mass meter, PCV valve and head gaskets at 93k mi ($$$). Replaced Kumho Ecsta tires at exactly 30k mi with Michelin Pilot Sport+ ($$).

Update #2 Ultimate Texas Driving Machine
By raiderwes on 01/17/09 08:53 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Car now has 95k miles. At 85k mi nav unit in trunk failed; replaced with used unit/upgrade ($250). At 93k car developed minor leak - valve cover gasket. Put new Mich Pilot Sport + after 30K on the Kumhos. At 94k air mass meter failed along with PCV valve; fixed valve cover gasket at same time totaling $1400. Car averages 15k mi between oil changes, though I will start doing it substantially more often now. Still the most fun car I've ever owned and can't get excited about anything else out there. Overall, I have not had that much trouble with the car. I don't see much in the way of keeping it another 25-30k miles; after that, we'll see.

Ryan's 2000 740i
By Rolands Ride on 08/28/08 16:39 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

So I bought my 740i back in March of this year. this is my 2nd BMW and I am going to say I am very impressed with the vehicle. Has a beast of a engine, for a 2 ton car it will beat the crap out of a stock Camaro SS. The outside design is classic BMW which is why I bought this car instead of one of the newer 7 Series cars. The interior all be it a bit bland is very comfortable and ergonomic. No scientist needed to figure out the Nav or how to run the A/C. Car gets moderate mileage per gallon, about 18 around town and 24 on the highway. Not bad for a v8 that is a hoss. As expected for a BMW off of warranty, you will not want to get repairs done at the dealership, find a good tech.

740i Sport
By beemerb on 03/24/08 14:21 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This has been an excellent vehicle to own! I wouldn't have it any other way, and I'm probably hooked on BMW for life! I plan on keeping my 740i sport for a long time, while I add new vehicles to my arsenal. I have had some problems with it however, the radiator did crack and cost me 1500 to get a new one. This was the only downfall it had, and I missed my car the whole time it was getting fixed. I hate the cupholders, but in every relationship there is one quality we don't like about out spouse, but loving those faults is what makes love in a relationship.

Ultimate Texas Driving Machine - update
By raiderwes on 01/20/06 23:57 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

I've now had the car for 30K miles and nearly 3 years. I still love it. I bought the car as a certified used unit & during the BMW extended warranty, I've had a new radiator and water pump as well as two oil leaks. Each time the dealer has promptly repaired the car for a $50 co-pay. New brake pads were my cost ($$$). I replaced the OEM Contintal Contitracs with Kumho Ecsta's and am very pleased with the improved mileage & I can't tell any significant difference in handling, but the car is much quieter. I hope to drive this car another 60K miles. The extended warranty expires within a month or so and I may hedge my bets by buying another warranty, based on my experience with the 1993 740