2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
my black7
By sistajay on 12/13/12 13:29 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

got this car in 2008, had to replace the engine in 2011, tranny gives a kick in the back had it rebuilt, and it still kicks in the back, love love love the car though, the driving is awesome, on the hwy, ohhh boy, you have to be very mindful, it luvvs the hway, and....it hardly eats any gas on the hwy, but locally, wow, terrible, the drive is awesome though, and ppl still turn to look, a beautiful car, but not cheap

2000 BMW 740iL
By mroseberry1 on 09/26/12 07:24 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

The overall charistics of this car are fantastic. I purchased this car 6 months ago for 8500.00 and it has 74k miles. Its hard to find this much cart for this kind of money. Great value. I own a Corvette and Hot Rod shop and have driven many many car of all ages and types. This 740iL is on my top 10 list of best overall car!

Not what you'd think
By steven67 on 03/16/12 22:22 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

First, this will most likely be one of the very best cars that you'll ever own. Every aspect of this car is absolutely amazing. The engine is plenty powerful, and the ride is great. The first night that I drove it I didn't want to stop driving. This car has all the features that one could desire. Now it's true that BMW's aren't the most reliable cars on the planet and when it comes time to fix them it usually wont be cheap. DON'T TAKE A BMW TO THE DEALER, or you're an idiot. Either find a BMW mechanic in your area or do the work yourself, it's very easy. If I, being a 19 year-old college student, can afford to keep this car running, you can too. (continued below)

Going back to japanese cars
By milkman on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

i got this car oct.2009 my eyes lit up like a chris X tree.. then service engine light came on 4 times (each time i repaired the problem) it stopped on me out of state i had to have it towed to BMW (alternator)1 day on my way to BMW to buy an ex. key (radiator busted)on me. then the motor in the sunroof took a dump. the last straw was the engine light is on again and i can't pass the emission test.in the end i realize i just have a polished turd.previously i had an infiniti M45. love the car.(car accident)my next and last stop will be a lexus.

My 2000 740il
By Michael Lucero on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I purposely bought this year because I loved the exterior styling. I did not like the newer ones and I bought in 2007. This is a large car and has the best back seats and legroom EVER. I have fit 5 back there, yes illegally during a Vegas run and had no complaints. They actually had enough room to sit on the floor!! Bought my car with 70,000 miles on it for $18,000.00 plus $2,600.00 for an extended warranty that last 2 years or 100,000 mile, whichever came first. First, thank god I did get the warranty. Second, thank god this was a great warranty and company to purchase from. Here is a list of what was done before the car hit 100,000 miles. All handled without question, although an inspector

Major Repairs @ 79,000 Miles
By Madra Dubh on 07/03/08 09:10 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I bought this well-cared-for car from a private owner in 2005. Car had 63,000 miles. After 3 years and 16,000 additional miles, both my alternator and water pump failed. Total bill, including hoses and thermostat was $2800 (labor, parts and 7% state sales tax!). Other minor problems over the past three years include peeled finish on the BMW hood emblem due to drive thru car wash brushes (about $15 to replace - a bargain!!) and I had broken clips on front plastic “kidney” grilles. Breakage may have been due to engine heat. Each grille costs about $60 to replace. Oh, yeah, just like so many other reviewers, my cup holder is broken too! Maybe it's time to sell.

BMW 740iL
By Big Bob on 06/03/08 14:13 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

Mileage per gallon - excellent. In the low country of S.C., highway at 5 mph over the speed limit (usually 75), gets 27.5 mph! Response to accelerator - great! Handling on curves, u-turns - unbelieveable. Wheels have never been out-of-line!

The best BMW ever.
By stan on 03/24/08 19:55 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

This car has been amazing. I bought this car from someone who loved it but felt it was getting too old and too many miles (112,000). I've had it three years and have put over 60,000 miles on it. It may not be as carefree as an acura or lexus but it makes it up when you take it for a ride. You will need to replace the water pump about every 50k, alternator at about 100k, suspension checked and replaced at 100k, power steering line has been replaced. There was a check engine light on when I purchased the car, the owner fixed this, some kind of air leak around the intake. Do not take this car to the dealer after warranty. Find a good mechanic who is familiar with bmws

VERY Expensive to Maintain
By Frank on 03/07/08 05:02 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

Without question, this is the greatest car I have ever driven. Unfortunately, it is also the most expensive car on the planet to drive. Since the car went out of warranty in Oct 2005, I've had to put nearly $20k into the car. Something seems to fail every six months, and as someone else noted the cost of a typical repair is anywhere from $700 to $4,500. I've had many different mechanics work on the car, and all say the same thing: Best car to drive, worst car in terms of maintenance. Expect to put $5,000 into the car each year for repairs/maintenance. You mat get 300k miles out of the engine, but it'll cost ya $300k to do it! That said, the BEST ride on the road, hands down!

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By Alex on 05/13/07 14:15 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I've now owned this car for a little over a year and a half. Being that I needed a highway cruiser, this car was an excellent choice. Before buying these cars, find out if some of the common problems on your model have been addressed. Namely, the radiator and fan need to be replaced at around 60k-70k miles. The waterpump and thermostat need to be replaced at that time as well and as others have mentioned, the front suspension parts don't last too long. Don't forget though, this car weighs over 4,000 lbs! Driving this car will wear down the front suspension quickly. Expect to replace it every 50k miles or so. Also, the cupholder is flimsy, therefore I bought a wedge-type holder and it's great.