Used 2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

my black7
By sistajay

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

got this car in 2008, had to replace the engine in 2011, tranny gives a kick in the back had it rebuilt, and it still kicks in the back, love love love the car though, the driving is awesome, on the hwy, ohhh boy, you have to be very mindful, it luvvs the hway, and....it hardly eats any gas on the hwy, but locally, wow, terrible, the drive is awesome though, and ppl still turn to look, a beautiful car, but not cheap

Favorite Features

the ride, the look, the feel, it just handles like a pro...luvv it

Suggested Improvements

cup holders def

2000 BMW 740iL
By mroseberry1

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

The overall charistics of this car are fantastic. I purchased this car 6 months ago for 8500.00 and it has 74k miles. Its hard to find this much cart for this kind of money. Great value. I own a Corvette and Hot Rod shop and have driven many many car of all ages and types. This 740iL is on my top 10 list of best overall car!

Favorite Features

The back seats are incredible! This car has an unbelievable ride and seat comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders!

Not what you'd think
By steven67

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

First, this will most likely be one of the very best cars that you'll ever own. Every aspect of this car is absolutely amazing. The engine is plenty powerful, and the ride is great. The first night that I drove it I didn't want to stop driving. This car has all the features that one could desire. Now it's true that BMW's aren't the most reliable cars on the planet and when it comes time to fix them it usually wont be cheap. DON'T TAKE A BMW TO THE DEALER, or you're an idiot. Either find a BMW mechanic in your area or do the work yourself, it's very easy. If I, being a 19 year-old college student, can afford to keep this car running, you can too. (continued below)

Favorite Features

Remember this car isn't a Honda or Toyota, so don't act like it is one. Also, use websites that carry OEM BMW parts for a discount, you'll be thankful that you did. For example, an oil filter at the dealer = $45. An OEM unit online = $13 plus shipping. That being said, change your oil yourself and save hundreds, very easy task. The engine!! The silky smooth transmission, the navigation, the million-way power seats, the amazing seat heaters, the legroom in the back, the smooth ride, the handling, the climate control, the attention to detail, and all the features that you probably wont ever discover.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality interior parts. BMW likes to use lots of plastic...

Going back to japanese cars
By milkman

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

i got this car oct.2009 my eyes lit up like a chris X tree.. then service engine light came on 4 times (each time i repaired the problem) it stopped on me out of state i had to have it towed to BMW (alternator)1 day on my way to BMW to buy an ex. key (radiator busted)on me. then the motor in the sunroof took a dump. the last straw was the engine light is on again and i can't pass the emission test.in the end i realize i just have a polished turd.previously i had an infiniti M45. love the car.(car accident)my next and last stop will be a lexus.

Favorite Features

the leg room in the back seat truck space and the look. it looks like a real man car!

Suggested Improvements

BMW need to fix all the problems with that car. Make an easier nav system. It's way to old looking

My 2000 740il
By Michael Lucero

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I purposely bought this year because I loved the exterior styling. I did not like the newer ones and I bought in 2007. This is a large car and has the best back seats and legroom EVER. I have fit 5 back there, yes illegally during a Vegas run and had no complaints. They actually had enough room to sit on the floor!! Bought my car with 70,000 miles on it for $18,000.00 plus $2,600.00 for an extended warranty that last 2 years or 100,000 mile, whichever came first. First, thank god I did get the warranty. Second, thank god this was a great warranty and company to purchase from. Here is a list of what was done before the car hit 100,000 miles. All handled without question, although an inspector

Favorite Features

usually had to come out and approve first. In one month, 3 window regulators went out at a cost of $750.00 each to replace by BMW. A clunking front end that was misdiagnosed by Goodyear and a foreign auto tech place, cover by the warranty but finally repaired correctly by the dealer.

Suggested Improvements

suspension repairs, $3500.00. In the next year that followed an additional $5000.00 in repairs done by the dealer. I have been on my own for a year now and was smart to spend $125.00 for a repair manual, I do my own work now, and I do love this car..but will not be taking it to the dealer too $$$$