Used 1999 BMW 7 Series 740iL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

World greatest car
By redskins23607

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I've owned mercedes, lexus and bmws. This is the best. I will pick Bimmer over all others. The performance is amazing. This one is stock and runs with the best of vehicles. I am going to chip it out so I can get all I can out of her. I love this car!

Favorite Features

Seating comfort. I'm 6'5" and i'm very comfortable. Excellent gas mileage for vehicle size. Love the parking sensors. Classic looks! Climate controls very good. All in all great vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Pixels in instrument panel (poor quality), stereo, cup holders, O2 sensors (pitiful). I hate the keys! I've replaced them twice (wear out too easy). Phone is bad also. Bluetooth upgrade coming soon.

Awesome driving machine
By x1811

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

Bought used with 52,000 miles. Car looked and drove new. After two months, I can say this is the finest car I've ever owned. Although I'm partial to high end Toyotas, this vehicle drives like a dream. Comfort front and back are superior, wind noise is low, and it attracks looks everywhere, even in the church parking lot. Great fun to drive at higher speeds (80-90). Gas mileage hwy 23 mph.

Favorite Features

Powerful, smooth engine. Dash layout. Outside body styling is pure BMW. Road Handling is great and rough roads are smoothed out magically by suspension. My teenaged son loves the expansive backseat.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders look fragile and not very capable. Pixels on odometer readout are missing at times. Otherwise, still my favorite vehicle.

Most fun/value among used luxury cars
By solution

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 740IL when it was 5 years old with 1 year of CPO warranty left. It was love by first sight. It looks gracful on the outside, and unblieveably spacious in the inside, much more than the 96 Deville it replaced. 10 months passed, it has been smooth running and problem-free. With it, I have been looking forward to my daily one-hour and a half commute. So much fun and comfort.

Favorite Features

Premium DPS sound system, the 10 speakers + diversity antennas beat LS400's Nakamichi by miles, not to mention BOSE. The limo-like back seat. The parking assitance and security glass. Quick accelaration when you need it. Comfortable seats. Reasonable 21.5 MPG mixed driving.

Suggested Improvements

Door lock/unlock move to the driver's door.

1999 740IL
By meemygirl

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

The ride is excellent but too many gadgets have had to be repaired: rear and front cup holders, rear glass window up and down, car phone electronics still do not work, glove compartment latch. I could go on, but the smooth ride is still the best.

Favorite Features

The seats are very comfortable and the ride is great.

Suggested Improvements

The inside components: cup holders are not secure enough to hold drinks, even when they do work. Telephone worked very short time. Decided my cell would do just fine when BMW Service couldn't fix the intergrated phone.

Too fun not to drive
By 31 year old

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 72k on it. Can honestly say that it is the greatest sport sedan land yacht around. The power plant could use a little more punch but is more than apt for the application. The DSC is a true lifesaver. I am 6 foot 6 inches and I can sit in the driver seat with my legs completely straight. Comfort is available in every seat. The rear seats are more like a nice leather couch. One thing that was added were wheels from the new 745. The 18" wheels have helped the performance around corners.

Favorite Features

Comfort, stature and true driving pleasure.

Suggested Improvements

Premium sound is too light on bass to be called premium. There is more than usual interior body panel sound. Seems like radiator issues are common.