1999 BMW 7 Series 740iL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

World greatest car
By redskins23607

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I've owned mercedes, lexus and bmws. This is the best. I will pick Bimmer over all others. The performance is amazing. This one is stock and runs with the best of vehicles. I am going to chip it out so I can get all I can out of her. I love this car!

Favorite Features

Seating comfort. I'm 6'5" and i'm very comfortable. Excellent gas mileage for vehicle size. Love the parking sensors. Classic looks! Climate controls very good. All in all great vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Pixels in instrument panel (poor quality), stereo, cup holders, O2 sensors (pitiful). I hate the keys! I've replaced them twice (wear out too easy). Phone is bad also. Bluetooth upgrade coming soon.

Awesome driving machine
By x1811

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

Bought used with 52,000 miles. Car looked and drove new. After two months, I can say this is the finest car I've ever owned. Although I'm partial to high end Toyotas, this vehicle drives like a dream. Comfort front and back are superior, wind noise is low, and it attracks looks everywhere, even in the church parking lot. Great fun to drive at higher speeds (80-90). Gas mileage hwy 23 mph.

Favorite Features

Powerful, smooth engine. Dash layout. Outside body styling is pure BMW. Road Handling is great and rough roads are smoothed out magically by suspension. My teenaged son loves the expansive backseat.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders look fragile and not very capable. Pixels on odometer readout are missing at times. Otherwise, still my favorite vehicle.

Most fun/value among used luxury cars
By solution

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 740IL when it was 5 years old with 1 year of CPO warranty left. It was love by first sight. It looks gracful on the outside, and unblieveably spacious in the inside, much more than the 96 Deville it replaced. 10 months passed, it has been smooth running and problem-free. With it, I have been looking forward to my daily one-hour and a half commute. So much fun and comfort.

Favorite Features

Premium DPS sound system, the 10 speakers + diversity antennas beat LS400's Nakamichi by miles, not to mention BOSE. The limo-like back seat. The parking assitance and security glass. Quick accelaration when you need it. Comfortable seats. Reasonable 21.5 MPG mixed driving.

Suggested Improvements

Door lock/unlock move to the driver's door.

1999 740IL
By meemygirl

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

The ride is excellent but too many gadgets have had to be repaired: rear and front cup holders, rear glass window up and down, car phone electronics still do not work, glove compartment latch. I could go on, but the smooth ride is still the best.

Favorite Features

The seats are very comfortable and the ride is great.

Suggested Improvements

The inside components: cup holders are not secure enough to hold drinks, even when they do work. Telephone worked very short time. Decided my cell would do just fine when BMW Service couldn't fix the intergrated phone.

Too fun not to drive
By 31 year old

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 72k on it. Can honestly say that it is the greatest sport sedan land yacht around. The power plant could use a little more punch but is more than apt for the application. The DSC is a true lifesaver. I am 6 foot 6 inches and I can sit in the driver seat with my legs completely straight. Comfort is available in every seat. The rear seats are more like a nice leather couch. One thing that was added were wheels from the new 745. The 18" wheels have helped the performance around corners.

Favorite Features

Comfort, stature and true driving pleasure.

Suggested Improvements

Premium sound is too light on bass to be called premium. There is more than usual interior body panel sound. Seems like radiator issues are common.

The Best Car I have even owned
By Gus177

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

This is not only a high performance car, it is a beauty, both in and out. Design wise, has BMW written all over it, unlike the new 745il that can be mistaken for an Infinity or a Nissan. It broke my heart when they discontinued the 740.

Favorite Features

Everthing in this car is great, from the powerful engine, to the interior, to the ergonomics .... you name it.

Suggested Improvements

Not much, the gas milage could be better, but hey, you want performance, you should expect it

Wish They Had Not Changed
By An Original Owner

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

My 1999 BMW 740iL now has 66,000 miles, still no problem - mechnical - body - interior - anyplace. The space in the back seat for longer trips can't be matched by Mercedes or any car I know of. Due to age I considered trading my 1999 for a 2003 745LI. Don't like the look of the 2003 745 or all of the "advanced techno" stuff I'll never use. Wish they hads never changed the the body style. o stuff" I'll never need.

Favorite Features

Confort,saftey, room, handling, not a dull Lexus feel.

Suggested Improvements

Drop the new 745 body stlye. Go back and offer the classy look of the 740's.

my dream car
By shawnpr

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

This is the first car I have wanted to drive for an fun. When I am bored and have nothing to do, I take a drive, it is the ultimate driving experience.

Favorite Features

The quiet ride and handling at 100mph match with the remarkable sound system.

Suggested Improvements

none.

Classic BMW - 740iL
By Lord Zornes

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

This was our first 7 series - our other being a 2000 740iL. Have been impressed with the quiet, comfort and speed - not to mention the "legacy look" of the E38 7 Series. The new E60 series are too hodge- podged on the exterior for our taste. I doubt we'll be upgrading anytime soon. Only issue - the Nappa leather on our green one (a butter creme colour) -- seems to reek of mustiness all the time - especially when the summer heat bakes the car during the day. Replacing the airfilter, as well as placing boxes of Arm & Hammer baking soda doesn't seem to remove the stale smell. *sigh* - time for some "leather" spray I guess.