Used 1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Junk to Hunk
By gregskipa

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

I bought my 740i for $800. It had an issue with the timing chain guide that I am told is common for this model. It was sitting all alone on a dealer's lot, just waiting for the right person to come along. This car LOOKED great, no major cosmetic issues other than the driver's seat looked like it had been to hell and back and the headliner was starting to come down. I figured AT WORST I'd get my money out of it in parts. After buying the 'special' tools, I replaced the timing chain and guides, just to see what I REALLY had. Let me tell you, when they say 'Ultimate Driving Machine', they ain't kidding! With the variable valve timing, 282 BHP, and anti-roll suspension, this big thing STICKS!

Love the sunroof, all the little compartments to store stuff everywhere, 16-way power adjustable seats with memory, so when my wife drives it all I have to do is push a button and I'm back in my comfort-zone, suspension and acceleration.

Better front cupholders

Still an Ultimate Driving Machine
By Ezzyme

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

I just bought this with 115,000 miles on it. The paint is a 7 - swirl marks and a couple of minor dings. But the interior is a 9, even after 11 years and 115,000 miles. The back seat looks like no one has sat their. The driving experience is exceptional.

282 HP and the great trany/engine interplay. Unbelievable rear leg room even without the L version. Heavy doors and solid lasting quality.

Better front cup holder.

Enjoy it while you can, before bankrupt
By SP

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

A great car I am sure when new. Bought in 2009. 10 yrs old. Main module computer replaced, radiator, air-cond, headlight, deadpixels, worst, unfixable petrol smell, told a leak is there and the seal replacement is expensive. Great to enjoy it but when comes to maintenance, well, you know... I make sure I get the best out of it before my bankruptcy if I keep it. Once in a lifetime experience, may even get another one when the right encounter occurs. What a love-hate relationship!

All the standard features normally classified as option in the other 7 series.

Reliability, reliability reliability!!

110K miles of first owner experience.
By Peter Judar

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Purchased this vehicle new at 74 miles with sport package and I can tell you everything about this car. You will replace the radiator like a clockwork every 35K miles, about $400. Transmission failed at 73k miles. Extended warranty covered all but $100. While I loved the sport package wheels, I got sick of paying $250 per tire every 17k miles, put 17 inch BMW wheels on with Michelins for $150 each now get 35k miles per tire with a way better ride, less the look, oh well! Still get 14/21 mpg city/hwy. Recently replaced both front rubber mounts/arms for $400. Car tracks and steers like new! Rear/right window regulator replaced $600. Fan blew up at 80k miles and went through belt/hood

Best car seats in the world! Awesome classic black interior. Quality leather. Heavy doors, makes you think you are in a tank. Smooth perfect ride/handling. Still enjoy a road trip even after 110k miles and look forward to another 110k miles with her. no current new car I am interested in.

Better aftermarket radiator that someone should bring out for all similar BMW vintages. Factory cracks every 35k miles. Cheap materials

1999 750iL - 30 month review
By Scott

1999 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

Bought @ 50K miles for $29K out the door. Needed major service, thrust rod bushings & sway links. After $2,100 all good. Since then: battery x 2, climate control fan motor, radiator repair, tires, repair hood latch, replace oxygen sensors, new front pads & rotors, new electronic thermostat, 2nd major service, added new center armrest & ashtray coin tray, replaced cup holder & console wood trim, replaced outside mirror pass. side, replaced map light rear pass. side, replaced two side windows pass. side & rear driver side, several scheduled maintenance visits & replaced one ultrasonic parking sensor. I may be missing a few things, grand total $13K. Present mileage 100,400. BMW: Break My Wallet.

Seamless power delivery, phenomenal suspension, handles like butter, snob appeal, great creature comforts, still rivals cars 8 years later, little details in the programming and options too many to mention.

Make parts that last. Electronics & mechanicals should last longer on a $92K car.