Used 1999 BMW 7 Series 740i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Junk to Hunk
By gregskipa

1999 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

I bought my 740i for $800. It had an issue with the timing chain guide that I am told is common for this model. It was sitting all alone on a dealer's lot, just waiting for the right person to come along. This car LOOKED great, no major cosmetic issues other than the driver's seat looked like it had been to hell and back and the headliner was starting to come down. I figured AT WORST I'd get my money out of it in parts. After buying the 'special' tools, I replaced the timing chain and guides, just to see what I REALLY had. Let me tell you, when they say 'Ultimate Driving Machine', they ain't kidding! With the variable valve timing, 282 BHP, and anti-roll suspension, this big thing STICKS!

Favorite Features

Love the sunroof, all the little compartments to store stuff everywhere, 16-way power adjustable seats with memory, so when my wife drives it all I have to do is push a button and I'm back in my comfort-zone, suspension and acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Better front cupholders

Still an Ultimate Driving Machine
By Ezzyme

1999 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

I just bought this with 115,000 miles on it. The paint is a 7 - swirl marks and a couple of minor dings. But the interior is a 9, even after 11 years and 115,000 miles. The back seat looks like no one has sat their. The driving experience is exceptional.

Favorite Features

282 HP and the great trany/engine interplay. Unbelievable rear leg room even without the L version. Heavy doors and solid lasting quality.

Suggested Improvements

Better front cup holder.

110K miles of first owner experience.
By Peter Judar

1999 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Purchased this vehicle new at 74 miles with sport package and I can tell you everything about this car. You will replace the radiator like a clockwork every 35K miles, about $400. Transmission failed at 73k miles. Extended warranty covered all but $100. While I loved the sport package wheels, I got sick of paying $250 per tire every 17k miles, put 17 inch BMW wheels on with Michelins for $150 each now get 35k miles per tire with a way better ride, less the look, oh well! Still get 14/21 mpg city/hwy. Recently replaced both front rubber mounts/arms for $400. Car tracks and steers like new! Rear/right window regulator replaced $600. Fan blew up at 80k miles and went through belt/hood

Favorite Features

Best car seats in the world! Awesome classic black interior. Quality leather. Heavy doors, makes you think you are in a tank. Smooth perfect ride/handling. Still enjoy a road trip even after 110k miles and look forward to another 110k miles with her. no current new car I am interested in.

Suggested Improvements

Better aftermarket radiator that someone should bring out for all similar BMW vintages. Factory cracks every 35k miles. Cheap materials

Nice Ride
By Laslo

1999 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

With the Sport option, this is a sports car in sedan disguise. This car puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel.

Favorite Features

Handling, power, brakes.

First BMW
By bill williams

1999 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

First Europen car I've owned. The last 3 cars we Lincolns(Two Mark VIII's and a 2001 LS). All had V8's but nothing to compare to the Beemer's performance and handling.I have the 740i with thw Sport package.

Favorite Features

Handling is super and gas milage is great for a 4400lb. car.

Suggested Improvements

Tires? How do you keep the right ones on for the different seasons. The summer ones are bad in the winter and the winter in the summer. BMW needs manufactuer their own brand.