Yes, it is the ultimate driving machine!
By gelly70 on
1998 BMW 7 Series 750iL 4dr Sedan
I know; I haven’t had this awesome car for long (since June 2010). However, I drove it from Chicago, IL to Norfolk, VA in a super comfortable 14 hrs (939 mi) ride. I got 24 mpg. Very quiet & smooth ride, comfortable driving position, very nice sound system, impressive braking, powerful engine; bottom line: One GREAT vehicle for what I paid for! I just have brace for the shock, when I take it to BMW dealership to get an additional key and new brake lining (pads) replacement. I am the second owner of this very well care for, Protection Package 750IL baby. Now I understand why its called “The Ultimate Driving Machine”
Favorite Features
Styling, handling, powerful V-12, quality of craftsmanship, Seat, mirror and steering wheel memory, automatic rear window shade and sound system etc. I could continue but Edmunds gives me only 300 characters!
Suggested Improvements
Dashboard pixels burn out, front cup holder brakes easily and are in a bad location, CD skips with any small bump on the road, only 13 mpg in city traffic, expensive to service.
By 2talltexan
on 01/13/11 11:17 AM (PST)

I'm looking at buying a 98' 750iL with 97k showing. I am leery about what maintenance has been done since it has 3 previous owners and the Carfax doesn't show any dealer maintenance other than "oil change" and "service electrical system/battery" (the latter being done 4 times in a 2-year period of time. How's your car holding up ... how much has it cost you out of pocket so far?

By gelly70
on 06/12/12 10:31 AM (PDT)

Well, it's been almost 2 years since I got my 750...honestly, it is VERY expensive to keep! very, I needed an extra key BMW charge $280.00 and the fools couldn?t even program it. Needed tune-up, $450.00 just for diagnostic that AutoZone can do for free. Oils change light can only be re-set by BMW dealership, fuel economy deteriorates fast when driven in city, $95.00/per tank of fuel = 14 mpg!!! Minor damage in bumper cover and fog lamps $3800.00 etc. If you have an electrical problem you will be better off selling the car than fixing it! So, if you have DEEP pockets go for it because it is worth it but if you are an average dude and want a commuter vehicle, do not get it! I am trading it for a Honda or Toyota. I still love it and hate it too!