The Ultimate DRIVING Machine, YES!
By Automaniac on
1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan
Already the happy owner of bulletproof-reliable Accord coupe 5-sp 1990 (still drive it daily!), 44 mpg Civic hatch, wanted to buy large luxo car w. great styling/performance. If DRIVING PLEASURE is a top priority, BMW 7 = the ONLY option. Got a great price due to the high gas prices at the time Bought it Oct 05, $10.5 k after the owner fixed and detailed the car. It gets 24+ MPG long highway high speed trips, 13-15 spirited city. What a bargain! And $10.5k is less than the 1st yr depreciation if you buy the fat, ugly new 7! I'd drive this car forever!
Favorite Features
Other reviewers have listed many great features, I agree with all, I emphasize the perfect 50-50 weight distribution that lets it handle like a dream, as if on rails at corners at high speed. Engine is a really strong 4.4 lt v8, also great. Nav system and computer lots of fun. Stereo is great.
Suggested Improvements
Reliability of the small stuff, Engine is largely quite reliable. CD changer in trunk got stuck after very mild use. Check engine light recurring, may have to fix gaskets at $800. So far spent next to nothing on this car after I bought it, but I am not fixing non-essential stuff. Just change oil.