Used 1998 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

The Best BMW ever Built?
By sfrei850

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Had a 1980 528i-loved it. Had a 1989 750il-loved it too but it was an expensive relantionship. My current 1998 740il, bought used in 2000, has been very reliable and loads of fun to drive to the store or head down to LA from the Bay Area. The ride quality on the 89 750 was a bit harsh in retrospect while the 98 740 has that "feel the road" bmw steering with a much more comfortable ride, and more of a sports car feel. Hard to believe for such a big car but it's true! Love it so much I bought another one for my wife. The V8 has loads of torque and reminds me of the great muscle cars of the 60's.

Loads of room with a sports car feel. Great power.

Parking brake

Why Did I Wait So Long
By csabo

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

We were looking for a car for my wife to drive on business. She's an artist and fell in love with the styling and interior. I'm an engineer and fell in love with the performance and handling. It didn't hurt that we got a great deal on the car. The owners groups on the 7 Series are second to none! We've had a couple of small problems and the forums have allowed me to fix the problems myself. Saved many dollars. We wouldn't trade the car for anything else on the road!

Long distance highway cruiser! You can drive 500 miles in a day and get out rested and relaxed. Back seat you can stretch out in. Fit and finish to die for!

Cup holders that hold cups. Less expensive keys. A "Max" button on the A/C (newer models have this).

Disappointed in Certain systems
By Disappointed_in_BMW

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

The BMWs I have owned have specific weekness that should be corrected by BMW rather that by consumers post- warranty. Condensation in tail lights, electronic readout cluster, cup holders are junk that should be upgraded by BMW due to poorly engineered and produced parts.

Integrated/voice activated phone system.

BMW should assume responsbility for faulty - designed parts and systems.

This car is why I'm a BMW fan
By keymstr

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I've had the car for 4 months now and have put 7,000 miles on it already, including a 3,000 mile cross country road trip. Ran flawlessly, in the flatlands, in the mountains and in 115 degree desert heat. Never changed the temp from 72 degrees and was comfortable no matter the outside temps. I've had some work done since owning, but all under warranty. This is my second 7 series. My first was an 88 735i. It had 150,000 miles on it and I put another 85,000 on it. Never had drivetrain problems. I'm a huge fan of these cars. I'll probably get another in about another 100,000 miles.

Ride, power is available in all rpm ranges, great sound system, very good looking car. I get looks every time I drive it.

Cup holder is weak and not in a good location. Can't work temp controls with drinks. Needs a hand brake vice the foot emergency brake.

Fun but costly
By vac5588

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Great looking, fun to drive, lots of power but what a headache to maintain. Would never buy another.

Styling, power, handling

Improve mechanical reliablity and reduce cost to maintain.