Used 1998 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Great ride, but expensive
By TAT

1998 BMW 7 Series 750iL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 750iL five years ago on eBay. First I test drove the 740 at delaer but it lacked power and acceleration. Thought the standard features like 12-cylinder engine, GPS and double thick glass made it a good choice. I love this car's performance! Sound system is the best I've ever owned. I commute 100 miles a day on the highway at 80 mph and it feels like I'm taking a race horse out for daily exercise. Have put 70K miles on the car since owning it and plan on driving past 200K. My only reservation is that it has cost me dearly to maintain at the dealer. Too many things needed fixing to detail here but all told I probably have put at least an additional $10K into maintainence.

Power, comfort, sound system

Had to buy a cup holder and mount next to the shift lever to accomodate large cups. Console cup holders are small and in the way of controls.

The Ultimate Disaster Machine!
By Lucian

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Looks can be deceiving! Let's see, purchased car at 58k, coolant sensor broke at 59K, tire alignmnet at 60K, fuel pump 61K, cat converter at 63K, sealant around windows at 63K all that in one yr. That yr i only put on the car 8k miles in hot weather! It has been nighmare after nightmare. Thanks BMW i hope ur happy in Stuttgart. Hire new engineers? That would be a good start.

Interior was excellent, and fun to drive when it works.

Warranty should last at least 10yrs or 100k miles...if they say the car is reliable then show me with a better manuf. warranty?

The Ultimate "7" driving machine
By Alex

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

My last car was a 1995 Jaguar XJ6, it was wonderful, however trunk space was an issue. Having owned 6 BMW's in the past I bought a 1998 740il on eBay. Drove the car to California from Texas, and on the way achieved between 25-29 mpg, Incredible! Both cats replaced for Calif Smog laws $2400 yikes! The car is an absolute pleasure to own, and drive. In essence its a "Sports car Limo". Fast, luxurious, smooth, powerful, addictive are just a few superlatives to descibe the car. Take care of your 740, don't abuse it, get your maintenance done when required and it will give you immense pleasure. As a side note, I later found out, my 740il was previously owned by Troy Aikman of the Dallas Cowboys.

The BMW Ride, roadholding, Solid build quality, HUGE Trunk, limo back seat space, and oh... the engine... so sweet.

I wish mine had the navigation system. Too bad the center console is not a glove box.

Best car I ever owned
By Andrew

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

After seeing this car I loved it, after driving it, I was obsessed with it, after owning it, I will always have a BMW. I thought about trading it for a Mercedes when my lease was up, but there were none comparable so I bought it... even the dealers that wanted to sell me a car knew that my car was better. I honestly believe that it is the Ultimate Driving Machine.

could improve on the, ummm, well, I guess they could make a convertible...

Fun to drive but expensive to maintain
By Dillon Lim

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

It's a blast to drive this car. But reliability is a big issue. Common problems are radiator and reserviour, water pump, window regulators, O2 sensors, fading pixel displays. Great car if you can afford the maintenance.

The short block V8.