Used 1998 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

The Ultimate "7" driving machine
By Alex

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

My last car was a 1995 Jaguar XJ6, it was wonderful, however trunk space was an issue. Having owned 6 BMW's in the past I bought a 1998 740il on eBay. Drove the car to California from Texas, and on the way achieved between 25-29 mpg, Incredible! Both cats replaced for Calif Smog laws $2400 yikes! The car is an absolute pleasure to own, and drive. In essence its a "Sports car Limo". Fast, luxurious, smooth, powerful, addictive are just a few superlatives to descibe the car. Take care of your 740, don't abuse it, get your maintenance done when required and it will give you immense pleasure. As a side note, I later found out, my 740il was previously owned by Troy Aikman of the Dallas Cowboys.

Favorite Features

The BMW Ride, roadholding, Solid build quality, HUGE Trunk, limo back seat space, and oh... the engine... so sweet.

Suggested Improvements

I wish mine had the navigation system. Too bad the center console is not a glove box.

Best car I ever owned
By Andrew

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

After seeing this car I loved it, after driving it, I was obsessed with it, after owning it, I will always have a BMW. I thought about trading it for a Mercedes when my lease was up, but there were none comparable so I bought it... even the dealers that wanted to sell me a car knew that my car was better. I honestly believe that it is the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Suggested Improvements

could improve on the, ummm, well, I guess they could make a convertible...

Fun to drive but expensive to maintain
By Dillon Lim

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

It's a blast to drive this car. But reliability is a big issue. Common problems are radiator and reserviour, water pump, window regulators, O2 sensors, fading pixel displays. Great car if you can afford the maintenance.

Favorite Features

The short block V8.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability.

Best car ever owned
By Judith Speth

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Since I've owned this vehicle I've had only one repair. Take it in annually for an oil change, but that's about it. It's fun to drive and I've yet to be beaten in a race. We abuse it since we own rentals and load it up to drive the 300 miles to our rentals. My husband owns 2 vehicles but my BMW is our car of choice and he's trading his Audi All Road for a 750li. We always vacation in the Beamer.

Favorite Features

Speed, handling, prestige, dependablity, appearance, and sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a visor w/and extension to block the sun. I don't wear sunglasses and this would help my enjoyment.

Excellent Car
By Alex

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car year ago. It very well made car and also it's the best car I ever drove (out of 100+ cars). Performance is excellent, style, comfort and reliability. This car has "bullet proof" engine. I'm seeing people are complaining about cup holders - honestly that is the last thing I would think of. BMW 740 is the top of the line luxury sedan rather than comfy couch with convinient cup- holder. People who looking a cars as an expensive appliance should go for Toyota - Lexus, Honda... BMW is more for drive enthusiasts.

Favorite Features

Performance, Style

Suggested Improvements

They shouldn't change so dramaticly style in 2002