Used 1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

What a Ride!
By The Vicar

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

What a car! Speed, comfort, and luxury! Traveling 300 to 500 miles a day several times a month and I feel refreshed when I get out of the car! My car has been perfect!

The engine that "loafs" at 1,500 RPM at 55 mph. I get between 24-27 mpg when traveling using 89 octane! The stereo system is WOW! The seats are super comfortable! Sun shade is very helpful to those sitting in the back along with the power seats!

Navigation system needs to respond faster to changes and plotting direction.

Worth The Price
By M. Young

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

She isn't the least expensive car to own, but she's worth the price. If you love driving, the flagship 7 Series is a dream. Sure afoot, "broad-shoulder" powerful, smooth, quiet, and regal. This is before Bangle. No iDrive either! 14-speaker sound and top quality materials everywhere you look. It always feels like it could be driven across the country with ease. Only 10% of BMWs are 7 Series so you don't see them everywhere when you're driving. Very advanced tech for a 1998 car. Most 2006s still can't compare. Change oil often, replace radiator, treat her nice and she will make you happy.

Rich leather, real wood, clever lighting, handles like a smaller car, beats WRX STIs (I've done it). 20 mpg. Utterly delightful to view and to drive. Best interior in its class even today. No gimmicks. You'll wonder why you waited so long to get one. You'll always volunteer to be the driver.

Better quality radiator (most leak by 100,000 miles - replacement is $600.00 incl. labor), it could use a more sturdy parking brake release handle (mine snapped off at 75,000 miles), less brake dust, and simplify the graphic equalizer (I've just left it at the last owner's settings.)

BMW 7 series
By Doug1958

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

This Car is so fun to drive the way it handled around big bends is legendary.

I loved the ride.

If only it had real wood.

Second best way for long distance
By bugatti46

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

I have owned over 20 European cars and this is without a shadow of a doubt, the Best driving, most powerfull ball of fun I have ever driven. Elegant and sporty. The only thing I would do different would be to buy the "S" version next time... I will buy another. I have put over 150k on this one and things may start to wear out.

Power is extreme,, style is great handling is superior

Plastic seat switch surrounds are cheap junk

Great ride, but expensive
By TAT

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 750iL five years ago on eBay. First I test drove the 740 at delaer but it lacked power and acceleration. Thought the standard features like 12-cylinder engine, GPS and double thick glass made it a good choice. I love this car's performance! Sound system is the best I've ever owned. I commute 100 miles a day on the highway at 80 mph and it feels like I'm taking a race horse out for daily exercise. Have put 70K miles on the car since owning it and plan on driving past 200K. My only reservation is that it has cost me dearly to maintain at the dealer. Too many things needed fixing to detail here but all told I probably have put at least an additional $10K into maintainence.

Power, comfort, sound system

Had to buy a cup holder and mount next to the shift lever to accomodate large cups. Console cup holders are small and in the way of controls.