Used 1998 BMW 7 Series 740i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
too many problems
By johnfra

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This is an absolutely incredible driving car, nothing can touch the BMW driving experience. However, as exceptional as this car is in driving and performance it's equally disappointing in it's reliability. My car has been in the shop for so many issues I can't recall them all. The majority of the problems were fixed under warranty but I had to have the radiator replaced,new suspension components, a complete new ignition system ( this one was especially fun since the car would not shut off with the key completely removed from the ignition,)along with just nagging problems.

Favorite Features

performance, handling, stereo, styling

Suggested Improvements

better quality

Second best way for long distance
By bugatti46

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

I have owned over 20 European cars and this is without a shadow of a doubt, the Best driving, most powerfull ball of fun I have ever driven. Elegant and sporty. The only thing I would do different would be to buy the "S" version next time... I will buy another. I have put over 150k on this one and things may start to wear out.

Favorite Features

Power is extreme,, style is great handling is superior

Suggested Improvements

Plastic seat switch surrounds are cheap junk

love and pain
By RS

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Over the last 12 years I've owned a 528i and then briefly owned a 2004 M3 (what a machine that was) and for the last couple years I've owned a 98 740i with a Dinan package. Amazing deep blue car that is a joy to drive. The problems just started after about 106K miles...oil leak, spark plug issue, heater quit working, power steering leak...ugh. Just got a call from the shop wanting more than $4K to fix it all. I feel the car is a beautiful car but freaky to spend this much all at once. I just put brand new tires and brakes 6 months ago as well. All in all...I haven't driven a car I like better except for the M3...another story...just make sure you are aware that the big 8 cost more to fix.

Favorite Features

I love the look. It's stately while sporty.

Suggested Improvements

The wrap around plastic around the seats are ridiculous. I've had luck with the cup holders on this car. Just wish it would grow old gracefully.

WHAT A CAR !!!!
By jamezey

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This car is an amazing performer. It outshines many of the newer BMW'S . Mine has 204000 miles on it . Ive replaced the water pump , changed the oil , and thats about it !! WHO CARES ABOUT THE CUP HOLDER! LOL. I love my 7. just about the funest car ive ever driven. Big , luxurious, sexy body lines,responsive v-8. I get an average 22-23 on the highway, 21 all day in the city. nothing comes close to the beuty of this car. It is silver with grey leather. Smoked lenses complete this beuty. I wouldnt trade her . Shes a keeper . I'll probably drive her till' the wheels fall off. :) Scoop one of these up . . .if you can find a decent one .

Favorite Features

HAS IT ALL

Suggested Improvements

NO IMPROVEMENTS NECESSARY

pleasantly surprised
By bmwraf

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

I seriously considered a used lexus before driving the 7 series bmw. This 98 had only 25K miles and was garaged. However, it needed some deferred maintenance and since has been terrific. Elegant and muscular, it is the perfect car for highway driving.

Favorite Features

Power, handling and classic styling. Heated steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

Weak cup holders Sluggish dead stop acceleration