1998 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
1998 740IL
By Larry Dunbar on 01/24/05 12:11 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Puts a smile on your face every time you drive it. A big fast effortless cruising machine with loads of safety features. The interior room makes a long trip very comfortable. The drive fun factor is only exceeded by my wifes 2001 530I Sport.The car now has 47,000 miles on it and so far I've replaced the A/C pump, radiator, expansion tank, water pump, thermostat and it's housing. In additon a complete fluid change on everything. The cooling system componants were replaced as preventive maintainance measures with the exception of the water pump that had failed. All of the preceding is part of the price of owning one of the finest, safest, rides available.

Needs Minor fixes on Design
By Sandy on 12/21/04 21:03 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Probably one of the best driving cars on the road in its category. The engine /power and stability is excellent. Like a mistress , it is expensive, stylish and requires constant attention. Brakes are the best .. comes with the cost of replacing the rotors and pads very frequently. Tire alignment is a problem- so there is uneven wear of tire and they needs to be replaced more frequently. Automatic power windows are problem. They break very easily.. apparently there is a plastic part attached to the cable that breaks very easily.

Beware
By Bibel on 11/05/04 17:22 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Back at dealership 8 times over 7 years. Currently there (4-th week). Bad car .Bad dealer.

Walk Don't Run
By lsudad on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I love to drive this car. Reliability is not good however. Radiator neck (plastic!!!)broke off at 1 am 200 miles from home. Both catalytic converters failed. Eats tires due to bushings wearing out like plastic on front end. Cup holders are poorly designed, break often and are in the way of AC controls. Fuse problem left me stranded at night also. Only ORR BMW service brings me back to another BMW

'98 Bimmer
By tex2007 on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

..enjoyed the car more than any I've owned. Problem areas are :cupholder, driver's seat brackets,electronic control panel...wish BMW had not been so in love with plastic.

The Best BMW ever Built?
By sfrei850 on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Had a 1980 528i-loved it. Had a 1989 750il-loved it too but it was an expensive relantionship. My current 1998 740il, bought used in 2000, has been very reliable and loads of fun to drive to the store or head down to LA from the Bay Area. The ride quality on the 89 750 was a bit harsh in retrospect while the 98 740 has that "feel the road" bmw steering with a much more comfortable ride, and more of a sports car feel. Hard to believe for such a big car but it's true! Love it so much I bought another one for my wife. The V8 has loads of torque and reminds me of the great muscle cars of the 60's.

Why Did I Wait So Long
By csabo on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

We were looking for a car for my wife to drive on business. She's an artist and fell in love with the styling and interior. I'm an engineer and fell in love with the performance and handling. It didn't hurt that we got a great deal on the car. The owners groups on the 7 Series are second to none! We've had a couple of small problems and the forums have allowed me to fix the problems myself. Saved many dollars. We wouldn't trade the car for anything else on the road!

Disappointed in Certain systems
By Disappointed_in_BMW on 07/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

The BMWs I have owned have specific weekness that should be corrected by BMW rather that by consumers post- warranty. Condensation in tail lights, electronic readout cluster, cup holders are junk that should be upgraded by BMW due to poorly engineered and produced parts.

This car is why I'm a BMW fan
By keymstr on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I've had the car for 4 months now and have put 7,000 miles on it already, including a 3,000 mile cross country road trip. Ran flawlessly, in the flatlands, in the mountains and in 115 degree desert heat. Never changed the temp from 72 degrees and was comfortable no matter the outside temps. I've had some work done since owning, but all under warranty. This is my second 7 series. My first was an 88 735i. It had 150,000 miles on it and I put another 85,000 on it. Never had drivetrain problems. I'm a huge fan of these cars. I'll probably get another in about another 100,000 miles.

Fun but costly
By vac5588 on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Great looking, fun to drive, lots of power but what a headache to maintain. Would never buy another.