Used 1998 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

1998 BMW 7 Series

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

A very expensive love affair
By Jay

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I fell in love with this car as soon as I saw it and I bought it without thinking twice. Big mistake!! Don't get me wrong, I still love this car but it is not for an average joe like me. It costs a lot and costs a lot more more just to maintain it. Every now and again problems creep up and every problem cost me more than a grand to fix. It's the best ride ever if you can afford it.

Powerful engine. Spacious interiors.

Too many electrical and mechanical design flaws. Bad suspensions. Bad radiator.

BMW 750iL GREAT MACHINE!
By Danie Erasmus

1998 BMW 7 Series 750iL 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle four months ago and it is in a very good condition with 128,000 km on the clock. Only modification seems to be a performance exhaust system. The 250km/h top speed governer has certainly been disabled, and the car might have an added performance chip. Reason I am saying this - I recently took on a Porsche 911 Carrera on the highway, and the Porsche lost. The owner told me later that he was doing 280km/h at top end, so the Beemer must have been doing 300km/h plus - it is difficult to say exactly as the speedo is marked to 260km only. The car is very fast and a mighty performer, I rate it in the top echelons of motoring society, and I got it at a fraction of the price.

Performance. Driveability. Comfort. Great sound system.

Very difficult to change spark plugs. Hot air circulation inside cabin needs improvement.

You have truly arrived
By JR

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Once you've owned a 7, You really have truly arrived. Realistically you're driving a very sophisticated luxury sedan that is supposed to be maintained to spec. BMW did not market this car to those who could not afford the maintenance costs. I find that the most reliable examples of any BMW I've looked at or talked to people about seem to be the ones that have been maintained correctly, this doesn't mean just oil changes, I'm talking following the full maintenance schedule. With the proper care and love these cars will treat you well. It demands respect when you pull up to a gathering and defiantly has a lot of presence. Do not let the E38's minor issues deter you from owning one.

14 speaker DSP audio system, powerful, fuel efficient powertrain, fatigue-less seating. (I can drive over 300 miles and not have to get out and stretch. Amazing!)

BMW should have used an all aluminum radiator and expansion tank similar or exactly like the Zionsville one that is available as an aftermarket replacment. An electric fan, the fan clutches are too susceptible to failure and can cause fan blade failure.

1998 740iL
By 740ilDuke

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I'm in college, purchased my car on eBay with 35k miles on it. I did my research and have had the expected issues - radiator, window regulator, cupholder, grills. I have used enthusiast message boards to find, fix, and do preventive maintenance. I now have 71K miles on it and everything works as it should. I love driving the car, it handles great and is wonderful for long road trips. I live on a tight budget and have been savvy enough to keep this car in order, which leads me to believe that anyone can. I think I'll see just how far this one will go. If you buy an older car, research it and spend some money doing preventative work like transmission flushes, etc. Mainly enjoy driving.

Bose sound system is great, window shades, trunk space, back seat room, ride, handling, style, M Parallel wheels!! Stay away from those basket weaves!

Radiator, cupholder, grills, window regulators, rear brake lights leak.

Don't keep it Past Warranty Period
By keywestmike

1998 BMW 7 Series 750iL 4dr Sedan

This car was originally owned by Dave Thomas of Wendy's fame, he turned it in in March 2000 I bought it in May. Smoothest most fun car to drive ever. However, you must no keep it beyond BMW's Certified Warranty four years from purchase or 100,000 miles. I have 87500 miles on it now and the maintenance has been $8000.00. Apparently these cars are designed for heavy mileage but will start falling apart at age eight.

Smooth "linear power" as you accelerate, no noise, no vibration at all. The triptronic is super, you think an Andretti is shifting for you. Seat support and position is incredibly good. Bose 14 speaker is worth every dime. Hate repair costs - way out of line for handmade, "quality" automobile.

The positioning of door lock and emergency flasher should be in driver's arm rest or on dash. Need power point, rear lighter outlet is too delicate to hand cell phone charger plug.