1998 BMW 7 Series 4.4L V8 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews 3

1998 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

740iL Sedan (4.4L V8 5-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
The Best BMW ever Built?
By sfrei850 on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Had a 1980 528i-loved it. Had a 1989 750il-loved it too but it was an expensive relantionship. My current 1998 740il, bought used in 2000, has been very reliable and loads of fun to drive to the store or head down to LA from the Bay Area. The ride quality on the 89 750 was a bit harsh in retrospect while the 98 740 has that "feel the road" bmw steering with a much more comfortable ride, and more of a sports car feel. Hard to believe for such a big car but it's true! Love it so much I bought another one for my wife. The V8 has loads of torque and reminds me of the great muscle cars of the 60's.

Why Did I Wait So Long
By csabo on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

We were looking for a car for my wife to drive on business. She's an artist and fell in love with the styling and interior. I'm an engineer and fell in love with the performance and handling. It didn't hurt that we got a great deal on the car. The owners groups on the 7 Series are second to none! We've had a couple of small problems and the forums have allowed me to fix the problems myself. Saved many dollars. We wouldn't trade the car for anything else on the road!

Disappointed in Certain systems
By Disappointed_in_BMW on 07/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

The BMWs I have owned have specific weekness that should be corrected by BMW rather that by consumers post- warranty. Condensation in tail lights, electronic readout cluster, cup holders are junk that should be upgraded by BMW due to poorly engineered and produced parts.

This car is why I'm a BMW fan
By keymstr on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I've had the car for 4 months now and have put 7,000 miles on it already, including a 3,000 mile cross country road trip. Ran flawlessly, in the flatlands, in the mountains and in 115 degree desert heat. Never changed the temp from 72 degrees and was comfortable no matter the outside temps. I've had some work done since owning, but all under warranty. This is my second 7 series. My first was an 88 735i. It had 150,000 miles on it and I put another 85,000 on it. Never had drivetrain problems. I'm a huge fan of these cars. I'll probably get another in about another 100,000 miles.

Run don't walk from this car
By Yikes on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Door handle broke off in my hand. HVAC motors made squeaking noises. Power steering pump and hoses failed. AC clutch failed. Front suspension shimmy - bushings failed. O2 sensors, thermostat, idle control problems. Front chrome(plastic) grills cracked, fell out. Main drive belt needed replacing after only 20k miles. Now here are the problems still to come that are COMMON among other 740 owners: Radiator (plastic!!) hose neck will fail without warning and strand you. Catalytic convertors will fail. Transmission will fail at 60k. Oil pump bolts may be loose and thrown up into engine.

The next best thing to flying.
By vnammoman on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

The BMW 740iL is absolute fun to drive. It's performance is outstanding. The 4L engine provides plenty of power, but most of all, the road handling is superb. Just a touch of the wheel and you corner like nothing else. It's as though you were flying, not driving.

One Fine Performance Sedan
By bdbd on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Excellent Car; far better than the new 745; solid, performance oriented ....

Impressive Ride!!
By jtb444 on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Finally got the car I've wanted for years in great shape with only one prior owner. Love the power and the looks. I can't see myself in the 2002+ model. Minor mechanicals but great dealer service at very reasonable prices compared to my wife's Volvo dealer. Son loves it!!

My new used car is great
By NewUsed BMW on 09/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I was lucky to leave the lot with this car after shopping for an E-Class or 5 series, my bank showed me the value of the 7 series by not financing the smaller cars to my liking. Next thing I know, I am driving the Ultimate Driving Machine flagship car. Just lucky, I guess. Everyone interested in used cars, should check the loan values and learn it is easier to get the flagship BMW than to settle for something less. E-Class is less.

Too Much Fun
By RobB on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Since I bought my beemer in '00 I have just loved it. It did go thru a period of breakdowns around 80K miles but this is to be expected especially how I drive it. I regularly run at 115 to 120+ on the open Northern CA hwy's. Very responsive and fun. Comfort level is way up there. Raced it a few times at Infineon Raceway. This is a car that loves to fully aspirate in huge deep breaths and so do you when you drive it.