Used 1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

The Ultimate Disaster Machine!
By Lucian

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Looks can be deceiving! Let's see, purchased car at 58k, coolant sensor broke at 59K, tire alignmnet at 60K, fuel pump 61K, cat converter at 63K, sealant around windows at 63K all that in one yr. That yr i only put on the car 8k miles in hot weather! It has been nighmare after nightmare. Thanks BMW i hope ur happy in Stuttgart. Hire new engineers? That would be a good start.

Interior was excellent, and fun to drive when it works.

Warranty should last at least 10yrs or 100k miles...if they say the car is reliable then show me with a better manuf. warranty?

The Ultimate "7" driving machine
By Alex

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

My last car was a 1995 Jaguar XJ6, it was wonderful, however trunk space was an issue. Having owned 6 BMW's in the past I bought a 1998 740il on eBay. Drove the car to California from Texas, and on the way achieved between 25-29 mpg, Incredible! Both cats replaced for Calif Smog laws $2400 yikes! The car is an absolute pleasure to own, and drive. In essence its a "Sports car Limo". Fast, luxurious, smooth, powerful, addictive are just a few superlatives to descibe the car. Take care of your 740, don't abuse it, get your maintenance done when required and it will give you immense pleasure. As a side note, I later found out, my 740il was previously owned by Troy Aikman of the Dallas Cowboys.

The BMW Ride, roadholding, Solid build quality, HUGE Trunk, limo back seat space, and oh... the engine... so sweet.

I wish mine had the navigation system. Too bad the center console is not a glove box.

Best car I ever owned
By Andrew

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

After seeing this car I loved it, after driving it, I was obsessed with it, after owning it, I will always have a BMW. I thought about trading it for a Mercedes when my lease was up, but there were none comparable so I bought it... even the dealers that wanted to sell me a car knew that my car was better. I honestly believe that it is the Ultimate Driving Machine.

could improve on the, ummm, well, I guess they could make a convertible...

Fun to drive but expensive to maintain
By Dillon Lim

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

It's a blast to drive this car. But reliability is a big issue. Common problems are radiator and reserviour, water pump, window regulators, O2 sensors, fading pixel displays. Great car if you can afford the maintenance.

The short block V8.

Better reliability.

Best car ever owned
By Judith Speth

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Since I've owned this vehicle I've had only one repair. Take it in annually for an oil change, but that's about it. It's fun to drive and I've yet to be beaten in a race. We abuse it since we own rentals and load it up to drive the 300 miles to our rentals. My husband owns 2 vehicles but my BMW is our car of choice and he's trading his Audi All Road for a 750li. We always vacation in the Beamer.

Speed, handling, prestige, dependablity, appearance, and sound system.

Needs a visor w/and extension to block the sun. I don't wear sunglasses and this would help my enjoyment.